• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cheap (1 Viewer)

There's cheap, and then there's cheap! I was thinking more like the £50-£100 mark, which I think is still cheapish. I know several people who have bought 2-3 pairs of these over the years, and then gone for an expensive model because they either weren't happy with them, or they didn't last so well. When you add that lot up, including the expensive one on top, you've easily £700-£1000 at least, which in my view is false economy. Better to get a good one , or a moderately good one to begin with.

Started this thread and checked for replies for a couple of weeks, nothing. Was my feelings concerning snobbishness correct. Came back on today, wow all the replies. Won't feel second rate now. By the way I use the older Aldi's for the garden because I can focus slightly closer and the newer ones when I'm out and about. Haven't done a 'drop' test on the new ones yet but no doubt I will do in the future hahaha

Tell you what though....don´t know if I can speak for all of us, but in my case, if I stopped looking at the Binoculars/Spotting Scopes Forum, and instead devoted all the time saved to working minimum wage in McDonald´s, within a year I could easily afford totally new kit.....(only problem is, having spent my time in McDonald´s instead of browsing the BF optics forums, I wouldn´t know what to buy.....)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back