• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (4 Viewers)

The next meeting of the SOC Grampian branch takes place this coming Monday. The speaker is Stuart Jennings, who will talk on “The Crannach and the RSPB’s Work on Deeside”. The meeting will be held at The Sportsman’s Club, 11 Queen’s Road, Aberdeen, and starts at 7.30pm. All welcome, with a suggested donation for attendance of £2.

Hugh Addlesee (Branch Secretary)

NE Scotland Bird Records 2012

Can I ask anyone with 2012 bird records from NE Scotland (Aberdeen City and Shire) to send them to me as soon as possible please? The records will be used for compiling the regional Bird Report and for other purposes as listed in the introductory sections of the Report. Records can be sent either direct to me or else entered onto BirdTrack from where I will download them. If you have any questions, including about the format in which to send records, please PM me.

Thanks

Nick Littlewood
(NE Scotland Bird Recorder)

I know some of you will already know about this, but there is a NE Scotland mammal atlas project underway, which needs records from people throughout the area (which includes the whole of the Cairngorms National Park as well as Aberdeenshire, Moray and Aberdeen City).

Details and provisional species maps are available here:

http://nesbrec.org.uk/modules/mammals/index.php

It looks like rodents other than squirrels are particularly badly recorded (I can add bank vole and wood mouse from my house!)

Thanks for the tip off Caper - amazed at the lack of rat and house mouse records! I see quite a lot of mammals (dead and alive) from the bike in the shire, need to start recording them!

There were five waxwings on Raemoir road in Banchory this morning by the junction with Woodside Road.

Last night my wife saw a Pine Marten on the roadside on the B974 just past Bridge of Feugh. This is the second time she has seen one in similar circumstances - I have yet to see one (other than roadkill). However, I can feel virtuous as I have now collected 22 records of molehills for the mammal atlas!

Apparently there's a Black Throated Thrush in Banchory today.

Sadly, i'm in Stonehaven floored by the lurgy and not in Banchory at work. doh.

Last edited:
Quite a sizeable flock of geese seen the past two mornings, c0700, just east of Westhill. Pobably 150-200.About 200m on the dual carriageay heading in to town, in field behind first cottage on left. look like Pink-footed but both mornings been seen through steamed up, dirty bus window and snow shower.

Jim.

I was thinking just this morning that it was about time I bumped into a few Waxwings and then, as I was walking home from work, I bumped into precisely 27 of them on King's Crescent, just near the junction with Jute Street. They were a rather subdued bunch, not calling at all and mostly just sitting about in the sycamores.

50+ Golden Plover on the fields just past Corgaff Castle this afternoon.The snow on the hills,probably put them off venturing any further..!

Red Kite at Durris.

With the prolonged easterly blocking weather pattern finally being replaced by strong southerly winds and the warmest temperature of the year so far, it was somewhat inevitable that there should be heaps of Sand Martins flying around over the trout ponds at Mill of Strachan this afternoon.

White-billed Divers off Portsoy

We had a very successful trip on Gemini Explorer today. We saw at least 8 white-billed divers off Portsoy but thought there were probably at least 10. They were 2 1/4 nautical miles offshore north of Portsoy in a range of plumages from nearly winter to a couple that were nearly in full summer plumage. I've posted one photo, but there are probably better ones than this taken by others. I took photos of more individuals than this one.

They were quite concentrated in that area, but can't rule out that there were more inshore and offshore. My best guess is that they will stick around that area for a couple of weeks or more.

There's another trip going out next weekend (with one place available apparently according to Paul Baxter), but there's nothing to stop people organising their own trips with GE.

Attachments

• IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 71
just stumbled on this forum completely by chance. I was a keen bird watcher as a kid. Took my kids up Bennachie on sunday and couldnt believe my eyes when a Capercaillie came walking towards us and let my kids stroke it and alomst pick it up.

Assumed it must have been hand reared there, but speaking to another visitor and someone who works there and apparently it is wild (!?) and only visits there a couple of weeks every year and only stays near the centre and doesnt go into the hill....really bizzare sight to see.

Then a dog showed up and it was away into the trees :)

Any good spots not a massive drive out of town to see anything remotely unsual would be much appreciated as my kids are interested.

Are there still ospreys on the Ythan viewable from the hide near the bridge ?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back