• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-winged Monarch (1 Viewer)

sicklebill

well-known Cretaceous relic
Australia
The more you study the less you know- it was not until earlier this year that I realized how distinct the Cape York subspecies canescens of Black-winged Monarch is from the 3 other subspecies in New Guinea. Our bird is much more like Black-faced Monarch in face pattern, whereas with the other 3 races the black of the face reaches or goes just behind the eye. Researching the situation in New Guinea I am not sure what the status is of canescens there.

I have seen Black-winged Monarchs in NG in a few spots in the hills, they seem to be altitudinally separated from the wintering Black-faced Monarchs, though there are odd records of them being seen in the lowlands. BUT, all my records are of the New Guinea subspecies, I have not seen canescens there, and I wonder if anyone else has?

I know there are records of Black-winged Monarchs from the Torres Strait islands, but how about in New Guinea proper? Interestingly Brian Coates in his classic "Birds of PNG" states that canescens is presumed to winter, but he doesn't cite any records. 22+ years later, I can add nothing to that picture, yet we all know our Back-winged monarchs winter in New Guinea, right? Does anyone actually have records of this Australian taxon there?
There are parallels with Noisy Pitta here, known from Torres Strait, but basically otherwise only from the southern Trans-Fly, where they are likely to be resident, so just where are all the Australian migrants?

I won't open the Pandora's box of immature Black-faced vs Black-winged here, suffice to say it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped...... Hoping someone may have information out there anyway

Phil Gregory

Hi Phil,

I've often wondered the same thing about exactly where Australian migrants spend the winter. I can't really help answer your question, but I am also thinking of looking for any banding records or literature to guide me. I'll let you know if I come across anything.

Ideally I'd try a banding expedition to NG and try and retrap some of our locally banded birds, I've often wondered where the Rufous Fantails & Monarch I've banded go for the winter.

I hope one of the well travelled birders on this forum can shed some personal insights.

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back