• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to go in US in July? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,
I apologize if this isn't the right forum in which to post this question.

My parents, husband, and I are looking for a good place to vacation in July. They've all told me I can pick the place, and of course I want to go where the birds are. My parents don't want to go to Alaska though I would love to go there because they've already been. We live in California and have been all over so somewhere else would be nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It has to be a place that is not too hot and that has good scenery and things to do for non-birding family. My parents like hiking and scenery.

Thank you so much!
S.

July is kind of a tough period...most places in the lower 48 are are in the middle of bird breeding season or even past it depending on when in July you go, and it can be kind of slow.

Colorado/Wyoming might be good. The road up to the Tundra should be open in Rocky Mountain National Park, so Ptarmigan and Brown-capped Rosy-finch is possible. The prairies should also be full of longspurs and lark buntings.

I second the suggestion of Wyoming/Colorado. For some more details on Colorado including Rocky Mountain National Park, check my thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=204959&highlight=colorado from my trip last June/July to Colorado.

I think another good possibility would be Maine. Good boreal forest birds, coastal birds (I'm not sure how long into the summer they run the puffin viewing trips, but check into visiting Machias Seal Island), not hot and plenty of non-birding activities available for your family.

I liked Minnesota and (North) Dakota in July. Plenty of warblers in Minnesota (which should have some non-birding distractions), sparrows in Dakota (which did not seem like a place for non-birders to me). Scenery may be in short supply (unless you like tamarack swamps and prairie potholes), unlike mosquitoes. Not hot at all... in fact, it was just over 40 F on the fourth of July.

While living in America a few years ago I went to Washington state for a week in July which was fantastic. July was surprisingly good for birds and we escaped the heat by heading to higher elevations. Scenary was magnificent too,

cheers,

Rob

My wife and I are heading the Tetons in late June which I think would be a good destination to avoid summer heat and see birds and mammals and fantastic scenery. Of course, Yellowstone, with it's own specialized scenery, is right next door to the Tetons. I have heard that come July, the both parks get a good bit more popular (crowded).
Our trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado was also in mid-summer and was very enjoyable both for birding, hiking and mammal watching.
When I review the other comments, I realize there's really no end to places to go in mid summer!

Steve

You can't go wrong visiting a national park in July however, places like Yellowstone are so popular you have to make reservations early. Like now. Jackson, Wyoming is a great place for a base camp at the gateway to the Grand Tetons and only 75 miles from the south gate of Yellowstone. The whole area is between 5000-8000' and straddles the continental divide so you're going to see some very different birds than you get in California. And there's plenty of things to do and see besides birds. Bit of a hike from California but well worth it for all three of your generations.

Would not recommend SE Az in July for someone looking to avoid the heat, though I know it's somewhat cooler at higher elevations.

Jim

Ah, didn't see that. Higher up I actually found it about as cool as most other places in the American west though. For somewhere cool and scenic, I'd probably head for the Pacific Northwest in Washington and Oregon. Birding may be a little slow in the forests but the coastal birding and the mountains should be really good.

We live in California....

It has to be a place that is not too hot and that has good scenery and things to do for non-birding family. My parents like hiking and scenery.

Given these facts, I'd sure go for Wyoming, focussing on Yellowstone. Good birding, good mammals, good hiking, good scenery.

You can't go wrong visiting a national park in July however, places like Yellowstone are so popular you have to make reservations early. Like now. Jackson, Wyoming is a great place for a base camp at the gateway to the Grand Tetons and only 75 miles from the south gate of Yellowstone.

Since you mentioned camping, we found that camping in the Tetons is not reservable. Many of the less expensive lodges are already booked for late June when we'll be going. It is certainly not hot there. I think the average temps are mid forties lows to seventy degrees for the high. Good hiking weather!

We found SE Arizona to be a fine place to go in summer. In early August of '07, we camped at Reef Townsite Campground (7200 feet) and were cold in our sleeping bags for two nights. June and early July, before the summer rainy season, are suppoed to be the hottest months in that part of Arizona.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back