• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wharfedale (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Beneath Bolton Abbey the stepping stones stride across the Wharfe, shallow and as brown as the trout below the shallows, and the wooded dale sweeps up to the hills, ripely purple, resplendent.

On the dark river a Goosander dips, still visible in this Yorkshire tea, and catches a fish, resurfacing to swallow as Mandarin ducks swim by.

Low beech branches sweep across the shadowed water; a Kingfisher's whistle screams. A blinding bolt of blue brightens the moody river - a quarter of a blink and gone.

Beyond the Strid's chasm, where ancient whirlpools have etched stone bowls amongst the mossy rock banks, Dippers walk into the water and disappear beneath, bobbing back to rounded rocks where Grey wagtails bounce.

A Lesser black-back splashes down to grab a crayfish, hoists it up to the rocks to dismember it, gulps down half of it and the other half, still alive, fights back, huge claws grabbing the air as the gull bites again.

Spotted flycatches perch on fences and hirundines fill the sky, and up above the hill the dot of a Kestrel - the head of an iron nail hammered into the portrait of this landscape.

Oh it's a long time since I was in Wharfedale proper (a couple of lovely holidays in Buckden) but did re-visit the Strid area in the early 80's!

Such lovely memories you've brought back to me, thanks H2; such beautifully described action, as usual.

Beneath Bolton Abbey the stepping stones stride across the Wharfe, shallow and as brown as the trout below the shallows, and the wooded dale sweeps up to the hills, ripely purple, resplendent.

On the dark river a Goosander dips, still visible in this Yorkshire tea, and catches a fish, resurfacing to swallow as Mandarin ducks swim by.

Low beech branches sweep across the shadowed water; a Kingfisher's whistle screams. A blinding bolt of blue brightens the moody river - a quarter of a blink and gone.

Beyond the Strid's chasm, where ancient whirlpools have etched stone bowls amongst the mossy rock banks, Dippers walk into the water and disappear beneath, bobbing back to rounded rocks where Grey wagtails bounce.

A Lesser black-back splashes down to grab a crayfish, hoists it up to the rocks to dismember it, gulps down half of it and the other half, still alive, fights back, huge claws grabbing the air as the gull bites again.

Spotted flycatches perch on fences and hirundines fill the sky, and up above the hill the dot of a Kestrel - the head of an iron nail hammered into the portrait of this landscape.

Great!!

How special is that! Especially the Yorkshire tea description. As ever - perfection.

A very pretty picture you've painted, H.

What great way to start a day reading words like this. Thank you.

Phil

Thanks everyone. Wharfedale is such a beautiful place, we have vowed to return in spring.

Surprised to see a Goosander at very close quarters. The birds were scarce, typical of the season, but the landscape was the star.

Many people stopped to watch the gulls eating the crayfish: quite a gruesome spectacle with the still moving pieces of crayfish trying to defend themselves from the gull.

That brought back some memories. I lived in Silsden years ago (at least 35 years back). I used to go to Bolton Abbey and Malham Tarn often, in fact all over that area but I was only a plant person in those days. Your few words and I could see it all. Beautiful part of the world. The only curse at weekends was the massive lines of cyclists you could never get past, from Leeds and Bradford I suspect, so you had to crawl along for miles. Wish I could have a few hours there again. Grasswood was a lovely place too.

Thanks everyone. Wharfedale is such a beautiful place, we have vowed to return in spring.

Surprised to see a Goosander at very close quarters. The birds were scarce, typical of the season, but the landscape was the star.

Many people stopped to watch the gulls eating the crayfish: quite a gruesome spectacle with the still moving pieces of crayfish trying to defend themselves from the gull.

Guess and hope it was one of the american crayfish so the more they eat the better. Then our native species would have more chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back