• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Robins (1 Viewer)

thrombanks

I have had a Robin build a nest int my garden in some thick ivy and the eggs duly hatched and the 5 little robins flew the nest a couple of days ago. I have now got another (or maybe the same) Robin building another nest about 3 metres from the original nest on the same ivy covered wall. My question is, do Robins ever re-use their nests for the 2-3 clutches that H have read they can have per season? Or do they always rebuild a new nest?

Thanks for any help. :flyaway:

As a rule, they'll build a new nest. The old one will be no good now, as it will have a stronger scent for mammals to detect, has been there longer so has had more chance of being found, and may also have a parasite load.

It will be the same pair that are nesting again, as they're strongly territorial, and each pair will have a few gardens to themselves.

Poecile said:
As a rule, they'll build a new nest. The old one will be no good now, as it will have a stronger scent for mammals to detect, has been there longer so has had more chance of being found, and may also have a parasite load.

It will be the same pair that are nesting again, as they're strongly territorial, and each pair will have a few gardens to themselves.

Hi Peocile,
Many thanks for that information, I wasn't sure if I could remove the old nest or not but it seems I can.
It's great to have them nesting in my garden again and it's giving us great pleasure to see their nest building industry and productivity.

I found a baby robins egg

Hello,
I found a robins egg, and i dont know what to do, so i quickly rushed over to the computer and became a member of this site, hoping someone can tell me what to do with the egg. If i can hatch it in my home it would be great. i can not find the nest, and any other eggs.

Please Help

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back