Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 15th September 2017, 10:17   #451
Owen Krout

Dev,

I'll take you up on that offer for the butterfly ID's. My immediate reaction was, "Oh, I've got to have those!", but, especially considering the aprox. 25% import duty here on the mainland, my wife quickly corrected my thinking. Especially since I've already mentioned that my 8+ year old Mac will need to be replaced soon. Getting caught drooling over lenses on the internet the other day didn't help.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~ Lao Tzu

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th September 2017, 01:53   #452
Jeff hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Krout View Post
Not a Long-tailed Tit. I've seen a lot of them here and can quickly and immediately identify. As to what it was thought... I just can't say, hence I claimed nothing.
Yeah, I suspected you'd know them, as common as they are there. Not sure what else it could be other than other tits or wagtails, or maybe a parrotbill, none of which would be uncommon or unfamiliar.
Old Yesterday, 06:38   #453
Owen Krout

Sep-20

The excellent weather made a good excuse to make a trip to the Gedalou Reservoir. Total numbers were low, but at least there was a decent variety. The large numbers of herons/egrets that I have seen in the past at this time of year were not present despite there being several fish ponds that had been recently drained and would have been good feeding areas. The wife and I had an argument over the two Grey Heron that we spotted as she was insisting that they were green. Not looking green to me and not being able to think of what would be green just ended up with us sounding like an old married couple, which we are. Turned out after downloading the images we figured out that my neutral tint polarized sunglasses were giving me a pretty true color and not so much her fashionable and colored sunglasses. I did spot what I am sure by size and good look in the bins were a couple of Great White Egret, but they were in the rice fields across the main road running north of the lake. The Litttle Egret showed the yellow feet in flight and the long leg extension showed the legs to be too long for Chinese Egret/Swinhoe's.

The only birds with large numbers were Barn Swallow who were in two large flocks almost a kilometer apart that were splashing down on the surface of ponds to bathe and then perching on electric wires to dry off and preen. I made a large number of tries but only managed one decent shot of a Swallow just before it hit the water.

Gedalou Reservoir, Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Sep 20, 2017 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 kilometer(s)
11 species

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) 2
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea) 2
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 2
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 1
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 4
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 8
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 5
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 240 Two large flocks about a kilometer apart. Both flocks were splashing down onto the surface of ponds and perching on the overhead wires to preen and dry off.
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 30

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39306097
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Egret.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	640521  Click image for larger version

Name:	NT4A6524.jpg
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	640522  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Swallow.jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	640523  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Swallow (1).jpg
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	640524  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Swallow (2).jpg
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	640525  

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~ Lao Tzu

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 06:54   #454
Owen Krout

Gedalou 'development'

I believe the big reason for the reduced numbers of birds at Gedalou Reservoir is due to the disturbance from a 'development' project. Apparently the government privatized the large city park area on the west side of the reservoir as the main entry is now gated and well fenced off to ensure collection of entry fees. The little village which was between that area and the lake had tried to spin itself into a tourist (scenic) destination a couple of years ago but had failed to attract any attention unlike nearby villages which successfully spruced themselves up (with government money for improvements) and become popular places for city dwellers to go to buy fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. That village is now gone, bulldozed flat. In its place is a small 'ghost village' of large individual houses, obviously intended for the rich people who could afford such, but only one of which is occupied with the rest abandoned unfinished.

Some of the locals stayed on rice and fish farming as before. BTW, I get around the gate entry fee by entering along the dirt path through the little village along the north side of the lake.

I also just noticed a shot of the single Little Grebe that I saw as we entered through the village and threw it in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost Village.jpg
Size:	643.3 KB
ID:	640526  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost Village (1).jpg
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	640527  Click image for larger version

Name:	Carp Pond.jpg