• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North-East Brazil, August, 2 hummers and 3 passerines (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all,
I am either tired (or useless), and would love your help to ID these five.
I am pretty sure they are quite common, and that would explain why I did not take any notes, and am now confused.
Apologies for the quality, but as always...
Thank you in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Unidentified Hummingbird BRA 8922.JPG
    Unidentified Hummingbird BRA 8922.JPG
    536.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Unidentified HUmmingbird BRA 9623.JPG
    Unidentified HUmmingbird BRA 9623.JPG
    678.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Unidentified bird BRA 2488.JPG
    Unidentified bird BRA 2488.JPG
    706 KB · Views: 32
  • Unidentified bird BRA 5732.JPG
    Unidentified bird BRA 5732.JPG
    533.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Unidentified BRA 7758.JPG
    Unidentified BRA 7758.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 31
I have looked again with fresh eyes and I think that
- 3 is Caatinga Antwren female
- 4 is Planalto Tyrranulet
Am I in the right direction ? Still stuck on the others...
Help please !
Thank you, ugolino

I think you got the antwren right, Caatinga Antwren. The tyrannulet I think it is Mouse-colored Tyrannulet (Phaeomyias murina). Number 5 I think is an individual of the NE Brazil race of Rufous-fronted Thornbird.

#1 - Seems to have too little green on the breast, it looks to me like a better fit for female White-chinned Sapphire.

#2 - Agree with Blue-chinned Sapphire, this seems pretty straightforward unless I'm missing something.

#3 - Agree with Caatinga Antwren.

#4 - Agree with Mouse-colored Tyrannulet, stance is not like a Phyllomyias, and color is classic for Mouse-colored.

#5 - Strong legs, red eye, in shaded understory - looks to me more like a female plumage White-shouldered Fire-eye than a Rufous-fronted Thornbird. The Thornbird should have a heavier, stubbier bill with a more arched culmen, notably.

Thank you all.... I knew I had photo'ed the female white shouldered Fire-eye and could not find it....
These ids actually create further issues, and I will need to seek for help for a few further passerines.
PS: apologies about the locations details, mostly in the Icatare region in Bahia state.
Best, ugolino

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back