• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ash-throated Flycatcher?? (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

This photo was taken in late March in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, AZ.

My best guess is that it is an Ash-throated Flycatcher because of the reddish brown wing stripe. Agree?? Any other ideas?

Bob

Attachments

• 604-1851ce Ash-throated Flycatcher.jpg
    604-1851ce Ash-throated Flycatcher.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 232
The Ash-throated is the palest of the four Myiarchus flycatchers found in North America, but the best way to tell is to look at the tail feather patterns, which can't be seen from this photo. But it sure looks like the Ash-throateds we have around here in Scottsdale, with very light yellow coloring on the breast and almost none on the chest. Did it call? (Ash-throateds have a very distinctive "ka-brick" ).

Last edited:
Isn´t that a kind of Kingbird?

Southwestern Kingbirds (including the Couch's, Western, Tropical, and Cassin's) are generally gray, green, yellow, and white, with little to no crest . This bird is brown, yellow and white, with a distinctive crest. It's definitely one of the Myiarchus flycatchers (Ash-throated, Dusky-capped, Great Crested or Brown-crested).

They're all pretty closely related though, hence the similar appearance.

Last edited:
Agree, Matt, Ash-throated. The finer bill than Brown-crested, in the absence of seeing the tail feathers, is also diagnostic. We just had our first Ash-throated for the season show up on the 20th (heard his call just before he conveniently perched on the fence right outside one of the windows!).

Joern, you're right -- ocotillo for the perch. And this sp of flycatcher is almost as big as our kingbirds. Whenever I first see any of the Myiarchus, my first thought is, "Thank God, not an empid!" ;)

It certainly is a Myiarchus, but I haven't got enough experiance with the US species to specify. I do have a comment on this genus though. It may very well be the hardest group (together with Tapaculos and Elaenias) to id in the all of the Americas. In South America (and I'm fairly sure it's similar some parts of North+Central America) some species are close to impossible to id without the voice. -And in some of the species with wide distributions the voice is rather variable! So, for this group... learn the voices!

Rasmus Boegh said:
....In South America (and I'm fairly sure it's similar some parts of North+Central America) some species are close to impossible to id without the voice. -And in some of the species with wide distributions the voice is rather variable! So, for this group... learn the voices!

Absolutely true, Rasmus. With the Empidonax flycatchers, this is gospel as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately for the area where I'm currently living, I only see flycatchers during migration/breeding season, so they're calling very nicely, making IDs less doubtful.

Re: the photo in this thread, I suppose someone could try to make a case for Dusky-capped flycatcher (Myiarchus tuberculifer), but the bill isn't fine enough and the hint at wingbars is consistent for Ash-throated, IMHO.

Wouldn't it be cool if WAV sound files could be attached to messages? Or can they? That would certainly take the guesswork out of most breeding bird IDs.

A thank you to all of you who responed to this post. Voices are a little out of my area. I am primarily a photographer the likes to take photographes (was going to say "shoots", but thought better of it on this forum) of many subjects including birds. I was on a month long trip on which I took 1800+ photos and would no way have remembered the voice of one specific bird, ecept maybe the Cactus Wren.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back