• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malachite Kingfischer (1 Viewer)

leon

I assume this is a Malachite Kingfischer, and not a Pygma. The log he is pearched on is above water.

Shot 100km north of Pretoria, South Africa

Attachments

• mal.jpg
    mal.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 205
cuckooroller said:
To me it looks like the nominate subspecies Alcedo c. cristata, a female.

How do you differentiate the sex on this bird - my guide just states they are alike ?

leon said:
How do you differentiate the sex on this bird - my guide just states they are alike ?

Leon,
You're guide book is right and so is Rasmus. There is nothing that I can say, and I can be wrong, other than this one "feels" like a female. I have seen lots of pics of this species and though the distinguishers that in other birds might allow sex differentiation just aren't there in this species, I find that the brilliance of color can be an indication of the sex, at least, for me. So, nothing scientific here - just sensation on an instinctual level.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back