• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca Holiday 13-27 April 2017 (1 Viewer)

Bennachie

Hi all!
We have just returned to Edinburgh after two glorious weeks walking and birdwatching in Mallorca.
This was our 31st trip in 17 years!
Apart from the many 'regular' species, the highlights for us were:
glossy ibis, 6 marbled ducks and 3 garganey at Sa Roca, 12 avocets (with juveniles), 2 Temmincks stints, 2 little stints and at least 6 wood sandpipers at Cibollar I on 14/4;
several black vultures, wryneck and many cirl buntings at Son Marc (Cami Vell de Lluc) on 16/4;
tufted ducks (pair) at Depuradora on 17/4;
purple heron, dunlin and great reed warbler (at least 8 by 26/4) at S'Albufera on 19/4;
a very cold, windy day at Talaia d'Albercutx yielded just one pallid swift and one Eleanora's falcon on 20/4;
the same day we had our first pied flycatcher at La Gola - they were everywhere after that! We visited Marina and registered to join the Forum;
apart from booted eagles and black vultures on the Mortitx walk, we are sure we had 2 Bonelli's eagles on 21/4. Again, lots of sunshine but a cold NE wind;
a ruff, curlew sandpiper and 3 little stints were at Cibollar I on 22/4 with 2 beautiful collared pratincoles at Sa Roca;
a garden warbler and our first spotted flycatcher at Son Marc on 23/4;
a brilliant day at Son Real on 24/4! A tawny pipit singing from the wires at the Finca, a golden oriole nearby, with stone curlew in the field, and an alpine swift amongst the swift passage in the afternoon; also our first sighting of a turtle dove in the woods - we had previously often just heard them purr!
on our last day, we had a hobby catching dragonflies at S'Albufera, with good views of moustached warbler; a chiffchaff and a grasshopper warbler near the Information Centre, the resident golden eagle being mobbed by 2 peregrines from the Tower, and 10 bee-eaters overhead with a little bittern near the bridge over the main canal.
We were very happy with our 117 species, considering we didn't venture further than Mortitx and Son Real from our usual base in Puerto Pollensa!
Sorry we missed you and your rollers, Graham!
We really enjoy reading all the reports in the forum when we are at home in Scotland - and getting very envious.....
Mike & Liz

Hi guys and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Sounds like you had a great holiday.

Hi, really enjoyed you mallorca post , I'm going over acudia area in 2 weeks can't wait if I see have of what you seen I'll be a happy man ! Many butterflies about ?

and a grasshopper warbler near the Information Centre
Hi
Enjoyed your report. Just one question - might your Grasshopper Warbler have been a Savi's. There's often one that sings just by the Information Centre and Grasshopper is an uncommon passage migrant - just a thought.
Martin

Hi
Enjoyed your report. Just one question - might your Grasshopper Warbler have been a Savi's. There's often one that sings just by the Information Centre and Grasshopper is an uncommon passage migrant - just a thought.
Martin

Hi Martin
Thanks for your comment. Difficult bird, very busy feeding in the trees behind the Information Centre. Best fit with the Collins Bird Guide was Grasshopper - streaked wings, pale belly, pinkish legs, no obvious supercillium. It wasn't singing and 3 Danish birders weren't sure. I couldn't get a photo as it was moving about too fast! The Guide seems to suggest the Grasshoppers migrate north through Mallorca?

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Mike & Liz and a warm welcome from me too.

It appears you had a wonderful time in Mallorca.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back