• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaeger in Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Dave B

A jaeger (skua) sp was found recently at Lake Temenggor in Peninsular Malaysia by KC and Yian Lim. It was taken into care as it was too weak to fly, and has just been released at Kuala Selangor Nature Park, when it flew off strongly.

Opinions are somewhat divided as to whether it is a Parasitic (Arctic) or Long-tailed Jaeger, so we thought it best to seek the opinions of those of you who are more familiar with both species.

Please see the photos below.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• DSCN2059_copy.jpg
    DSCN2059_copy.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCN2060_copy.jpg
    DSCN2060_copy.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN2070_copy.jpg
    DSCN2070_copy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN2071_copy.jpg
    DSCN2071_copy.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN2072_copy.jpg
    DSCN2072_copy.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 296
my initial looks at the pics suggest LTS on account of its apparent size (though I realise there's overlap) and strikingly black and white elements in plumage but god knows these can be tricky so ...

Last edited:
Given the size, mottled white on the head, dark chest, white belly and vent, barring on the flanks and upper and lower tail coverts, and amount of white on the wing, I'd say this is a first year immature Long-Tailed Skua. But I could well be wrong. :t:

Thanks to those who have already contributed. Just putting this back to the top to ask for more input!

Where's JanJ when you need him? Or maybe I should have put 'Gull-like bird in Malaysia'!! ;)

I'd lean towards LTS too - would like to see its central TF's less messed up.

Bill looks a bit long and thin (AS-like) though

LTS for me too, because of B&W overall colour (no brown at all), barred uppertail, relative length of the tail (as far as I can see), and the shape of the bill, whose terminal black tip's size is the same as the base's size.
Regards

Guillaume

Mike Johnston said:
Given the size, mottled white on the head, dark chest, white belly and vent, barring on the flanks and upper and lower tail coverts, and amount of white on the wing, I'd say this is a first year immature Long-Tailed Skua. But I could well be wrong. :t:

as well as the overall cold plumage tones I think I'd throw in the pec band and pale nape as pro LTS features also (variability notwithstanding) ... still leaning toward LTS myself

London Birder said:
as well as the overall cold plumage tones I think I'd throw in the pec band and pale nape as pro LTS features also (variability notwithstanding) ... still leaning toward LTS myself

Have to say if a bird looking like that flew past me on a Sept seawatch I'd be claiming LTS on all the plumage I can see... assuming of course jizz was corrcet.

First year immature LTS also have a slight yellow tinge on the feather tips of sides of head and hindneck; you can just see this in pics 1 & 2. Barring on the back is restricted to upper mantle and upper tail coverts (pic 2). Central tail is not a good indication for LTS. It can be either juvenile or tapering to a point, but only 4-8 cm beyond others. Under wing-coverts and axillaries are marked white and brown (pic 4). Still pretty sure this is first year immature LTS.

Alright Dave, for what it´s worth.
Skuas are best ID,d when seen from a distance, but LTS is also my vote, on account of what´s mentioned about bill pattern by Guillaume, along with prominent barring on upper, and undertail coverts, cold plumage tones, although in pic. 2 there seems to be some rusty-brown feathers on upperparts, and I would have liked to see the outer primaries a little better to check for LTS typicaly white primary shafts.
Bill does look a bit long, as mentioned by Jane, but I don´t think thin though, the gonydeal angle about in the middle of the bill as seen in pic.1, if correctly observed.
Middle tail feather rounded at tips (pointed in AS) on juveniles but as this one seems to be a 2nd cy bird, wear has made middle tail feathers much less usefull for ID.

This is a rather good book to have:

http://www.birddigiscoping.com/blogskua.jpg

Although a juvenile bird discussed here some point about bill:

http://home.earthlink.net/~barbolink1/BrdLnks/JaegerPage.html

JanJ

Not convinced by the Long-tailed Skua (I'm not saying it's not one, just don't know). Characters for first winter skuas are not exactly the same as the characters for juveniles.

Nobody is convinced, but probably a LTS as it was said and your right that juvenile plumages are not the same as 2nd cy.

JanJ

Jane Turner said:
So true! Ideally about a kilometer away flying into a strong wind!

We have recently discovered skua passage through Hong Kong in spring and seem to be able to sort out most of the birds that fly close to the boat on mild sunny days (although granted spring birds are in prime plumage are much easier!).

There is a great set of pix from this spring on the Hong Kong Bird Watching Society Bulletin Board. Look on page 9 of photo gallery 1 if you're interested.

Still, nice to see the streak of puritanical suffering is alive and well in UK birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back