• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help choosing my new scope (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
When I had my brief acquaintance with the ill-fated ES80, there was a brand new HR80 just arrived in stock at In Focus and I was told that it had a new type zoom lens with, if I recall, a twist up eyecup as opposed to the rubber cup of the ES80 zoom. I was told that the new zoom eyepiece didn't fit the ES80 or other Opticron scopes.

The In Focus salesman did not speak highly of the HR80 in as much as it was far heavier than the ES80 and far more expensive. I didn't give it much of a trial but it didn't look any better than the ES80 on a quick look through (not a fair trial, I have to say - and the view was very good indeed); but it really did seem very heavy and the price put it on a par with the Kowa Prominar.

How odd I checked the Opticron website and there is nothing there.

I understand (sort of) why they launched the ES80SD and HR80ED but the HR80 is the same price as the ES80ED. Seems pointless to me but as Graham says they sell them by the bucket load. Although the ones you see most often are the HR66 and the ES80ED

Yes, I have only seen those two regularly - and mainly the ES80. Looking for the red rumped swallow at Swithland res. yesterday, I saw more than a couple of those scopes.

I have been today and checked out the Nikon, Zeiss and the Swarovski scopes. I liked the Swaro, nice and easy to focus, good colour and very bright even on a dull day like today. That said I looked thru the Zeiss and happened to focus on a robin. It was bright, clear, I could almost hear it singing. It was like looking at it in a bush right in front of me.

I think I have fallen in love with that scope. I am now going to buy a Zeiss 85, with zoom lens, and am also toying with the idea of buying the camera adaptor as well. Thats very expensive at £200, but allows the camera to be connected and swung out of the way when not necessary. Ordinary connectors are messy keep taking the camera off and on. The temptation is to leave the camera there all the time, which of course stops you watching birds. The other advantage is that the camera is connected by its tripod mount and is not depending on the lens threads or the scope lens to hold it on. Much more secure, and in the long run may work out a cheaper option.

Has anyone else tried these connectors?? Nikon make one similar....

It looks a super connector - you'll find more on the Yahoo digiscoping group and on Better view desired (the guy who runs it uses the Zeiss 85 + adapter).

I was comparing my Zeiss 85 with the Swaro 80 today - the Swaro is lovely, but the Zeiss zoom knocks spots of it in terms of field of view.

Yes the swaro is an extra £200. I wouldn't mind paying that if I could find a good reason. That £200 will buy the adaptor or a fixed lens.

The only thing I can say about the swaro in comparison with the zeiss is that it looks a nicer finish. The zeiss looks a little plasticy (if you know what I mean!) but its only the finish, the quality of both is good. 30 year guarantee, and a good discount at focal point. He has thrown a stay on case in with the deal, if I take the lens and the adaptor.

If you're buying the Zeiss, order the green version - it looks massively better in every way and, of course, costs the same. In fact, while waiting for the stay-on-case, I've had more than a few people commenting on the Zeiss. I don't know why they produce a silver version for birding.

Wait a while before buying the 30x - whislt I wouldn't be without a fixed eyepiece myself, that amazing Zeiss zoom is truly wide compared with any other and you might feel you can get away with the one eyepiece.

mickporter said:
I think I have fallen in love with that scope. I am now going to buy a Zeiss 85, with zoom lens, r....

There's a 3 months old one for sale for £750 with the 20-60 zoom lens included on the secondhand equipment for sale forum, not mine I hasten to add.

I have got the Zeiss scope, in the traditional grey colour, it seems the green is not available in the UK, or so I am told. I have ordered the adaptor although its not come yet. I will report on that when I get it, it looks a good piece of kit.

Two disappointments were firstly the end cap of the Zeiss is crap. Its one of those clip on camera cap type things. It doesn't fit properly cause it goes up inside the hood, and is really difficult to get your fingers in. Secondly the case. The official Zeiss case is black, well made I have to say, constructed from a sort of cavas material, but it fits the scope like a bag. It is horrible. You cannot get at the focus knobs properly, and it is all baggy and moves around when you put your hands on it the steady the scope. A really bad design. Rumour have it that Zeiss are redesigning it as well. On top of all that it is really expensive compared to other stay on cases. I took mine back and swapped it for an opticron SOC. This one is a little tight, but pulls over the scope with a little effort. Is also black but appears to be made from a more waterproof material. The openings for the tripod plate and focus knobs are easily got at, and the end cover and eyepiece covers clip out of the way when in use. A much much better case than Zeiss's own. It is also half the cost. (I got mine free with the scope).
The only setback is that it has opticron emblazoned on its side. I suppose that is a good security feature may make the scope less desirable to thieves!! Hehehe........

The scope itself is fantastic. I certainly do not regret buying this one.... I have two eyepieces, the 20 - 60 zoom and a 30x fixed eyepiece ex demo model that InFocus were selling off cheap. For digiscoping I haven't found much difference between the two yet, but my digiscoping skills are still in their infancy. I expect the 30x to be brighter in lower light conditions.

Last edited:
Well if it's any consolation, my son had to have the Skua case with his Swaro 65 as there were no Swaro cases available at the time and it is a very poor thing indeed.

Yes - isn't the Zeiss zoom a revelation. Look through it, then any other zoom eyepiece (Swaro, Leica, Opticron and yes, even - dare I say it - Nikon...) and it makes the view through all seem tube-like in comparison. It's a real birding winner of an eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back