• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yet another new minox bin! (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just been browsing the minox website and noted their new 'HG,high grade' binoculars.they are lightweight roof prisms with a metal focus wheel and matching dioptic setting dial [a bit bling!].

more information can be found on their website

www.minox.com

matt

matt green said:
just been browsing the minox website and noted their new 'HG,high grade' binoculars.they are lightweight roof prisms with a metal focus wheel and matching dioptic setting dial [a bit bling!].

www.minox.com

matt

Ja! Aber Sie mus verstehen Deutsch!
Bob

ceasar said:
Ja! Aber Sie mus verstehen Deutsch!
Bob

you will need to click on your country's relevant flag on the right!

i'm guessing bob said something to the effect of
'aaaa! it's all written in dutch! ?

matt :t:

matt green said:

www.minox.com

matt

Interesting that Minox has put a distance estimator on the focuser of the new series. I have always found the diopter scale on the Zeiss Classics and the infinity setting on the Leica Trinovids to be of genuine value in the field and am sorry to see most current bins have abandoned the practice. A diopter scale (or distance estimator) is also a huge help if you use some bins with Zeiss direction focusing and some with Leica and the rest of the world direction focusing.

matt green said:

www.minox.com

matt

It must be in BF somewhere, but I haven't seen any comments about Minox' ED binoculars, particularly the 10x42 model. Anyone have a lead?

Ed

Hi guys
What are we talking about here? The new lightweight BLs? Or is this a high grade above their current top-of-the-range BR/ALTs?

Minox are tackling the lower end of the market - are they now taking on the upper end?

Cheers

Barry

Well, they look fantastic with the usual elegant understated styling I've come to expect from Minox - and just look at that weight - 200+g less for the 10x52 than my current BRs. That is of course if the web site is correct. My 10x52 BRs are listed at 770g on the web which is a bit short of the actual 1020 (inc rain guard and strap) that mine come in at.

Three questions for Dave Morgan at Minox:
1 When will they be available
2 Will I have to drive all the way to Glasgow from Cumbria to check them out at Black and Lizars
3 The bigee - how much!??

Barry

barry robson said:
Three questions for Dave Morgan at Minox:
1 When will they be available
2 Will I have to drive all the way to Glasgow from Cumbria to check them out at Black and Lizars
3 The bigee - how much!??

Good afternoon all,

Sorry I've not had a chance to keep up to speed on here but Jan & Feb are quite mad here with several major shows needing our full attention.

Anyway, back to business....

We do know quite a bit about these bins - they have been under development for a few years now and are currently being 'market tested' at various shows around the world which Minox are attending. If you keep checking our website towards the end of this month / beginning of April, as soon as we get confirmation of ETA we'll post full details and confirm a price.

Your answers...

1) We expect the HGs to be available sometime towards the end of April.

2) Can't answer that one right now - it's in the hands of our dealers. Whatever happens, those shops taking them will definitely be highlighted on the stockist pages of our website. However, Barry heading south from Cumbria does take you closer to a few good Minox dealers!!

3) How much??? Well, early indications show that they are aimed at around the £600 RRP area, but just to be safe...... E & OE

Last time I got my knuckles rapped by the powers that be for advertising our website (I think it was on my signature so hopefully someone independent will do it for me!!)

Thanks,

Dave.

Anyone interested in finding out more (and saving Dave's knuckles) should visit the Minox site at www.minoxuk.co.uk and read all about the new bins - the spec is mouthwatering! And coming in around the £600 rsp they look like the usual Minox excellent value for your £. If the optical glass made by Carl Zeiss matches the quality in my brilliant Zeiss 65mm scope then optically they should be the bees knees.

Anyone keen to get their little pinkies on the new bins can get all the info from the Minox distributor, Newpro at www.newprouk.co.uk, including a list of stockists

Now the problem is how do I explain to my wife that a new pair of binoculars (current Minox 10x52s are only 30 months old) are an absolute neccessity??

Answers on a postcard please!

Cheers

B

What does that figure in US dollars? These binoculars look awesome and would probably be worth waiting for. I am currently looking for some new bins, but I still undecided on what to get. I can definately wait another couple of months if need be.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Palmquist said:
What does that figure in US dollars? These binoculars look awesome and would probably be worth waiting for. I am currently looking for some new bins, but I still undecided on what to get. I can definately wait another couple of months if need be.

Thanks,
Matt

rough estimate would be 900-1000 dollers?

though maybe much less seeing as these things can have a lower retail price in the states?

matt green said:
rough estimate would be 900-1000 dollers?

My FX Converter shows this as $1045. But you are probably right about the actual price being much lower than in Europe.

chartwell99 said:
... is also a huge help if you use some bins with Zeiss direction focusing and some with Leica and the rest of the world direction focusing.

With the FLs, Zeiss is now part of "the rest of the world" too, fortunately.

The FOV seems narrow 106.4m@1000m for the 8.5x43. Some of the top competition being up around 130m@1000m.
All the other specs look excellent.

Des.

I think a slightly narrower fov is something you get from Minox, my main concerns about their current BRs has always been the weight and the relatively shallow depth of field. They have addressed the weight problem, lets hope the dof has been improved. If the optics deliver the suggested improvement over the already excellent quality then these bins seem a bit of a steal at around £600 - maybe even cheaper if I wait until I go to the US in a few months time……

I was an awful German student; a long time ago; but believe it's "we have to understand German"; and, having got two HG bins, they are wonderful and light and clear. These are great "value" bins; close to the bigs as you will read here.

Hi guys
What are we talking about here? The new lightweight BLs? Or is this a high grade above their current top-of-the-range BR/ALTs?

Minox are tackling the lower end of the market - are they now taking on the upper end?

Cheers

Barry
I am a Minox HG convert; have the 8X33; 8X8.5 43 and the 10X43 all HG models; are bright clear and very light built on Magnesium chassis so very little hand shake into the image as very little strength needed to hold them to one's eyes. I'm just a person who loves great optics and don't want to buy Zeiss Victory prices or Leica equivalents. These Minox HG bins are definitely alpha bins at ~60% of the aforementioned bins. Their eye relief is outstanding, too.
Try them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back