• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want to buy my Dad binoculars (1 Viewer)

FWIW, I've read signs on billboards and stores from 2 miles handheld from a Canon 10x42 image stabilized binocular. But these are rather large letters. Letters on a boat from 2 miles? Maybe. Handheld without the IS? Not with my hands. The IS is awesome if it must be handheld, but I agree that a tripod might be required here.

I read the name on a hotel 11 miles away with a selected 1970s Celestron 20x80, Japanese made, firmly resting on two telephone books on the window ledge, plus a 7x binocular behind it, giving about 140x.

A fellow in New York had an 11 inch long focus refractor mounted on a truck giving views of the people atop the Empire State building. I think this may have originally been a 13 inch refractor? I think he charged a small amount.

My 12.5 inch Dall Kirkham was no slouch either terrestrially.

Horace Dall's camera obscura 110mm f/30 corrected for 4 colours photographed a church gutter about 6 inch wide from 17 miles.

There are views from the U.S. from maybe 40 miles? of distant observatories with a large scope.

Some military Maksutov systems can apparently lock on a car door handle at 90 miles. Probably specular reflection.

And photograph golf balls from 80,000 ft. while travelling at more than 2,000 mph.
Also the ability to tell if it is cow or a bull from shadows.

Or 4 inch objects from 250 miles oblique.

The 144 inch f/8 Baker lens for 28 inch x 28 inch film is used to fix asteroid positions to 1/50 arcsecond accuracy.

But for normal use the 100mm f/9 ED refractor sounds fine, or a larger version, which might get cumbersome.

Last edited:
I would agree with Binoastro the cheapest route would be an astro refractor. I took this picture with an Orion 100ED of an overlook on a small mountain I can see from my back porch. 2.8 miles away on a not super clear day.

I took this picture with an ETX 90 I have and not the Orion 100ED. I found a PM on here and I had told someone this.B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back