Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 11:36   #1
Robert Campbell
Happy grampa

Papua New Guinea birding

Fascinating place for a naturalist/birder. It is expensive to travel within the country and it can be dangerous.
The name "Rascal" is a label that is given to The criminal element within the country. Western definition of rascal implies a raffish, possibly likeable rogue. Not in PNG.
Tours are expensive but there is safety in numbers, and unless you have "Wantoks" (Tok Pisin (the lingua Franca)) or good friends who can show you around. Stick to groups.
There is a huge range of habitats from mangrove forests to high montane grasslands offering a great range of species, with many endemics, Birds of Paradise always spring to mind when people talk of PNG birds and there is no doubt they are quite spectacular; again found in all habitats.
I am referring to PNG as opposed to the Indonesian part of the island of Irian Jaya. Alas I am no twitcher. I don't keep lists. I did however keep records of birds ringed/banded and that is 306 species. That may be even more now as I believe taxonomists are splitting as more DNA comes to light.
If you have the money, time and an adventurous nature. Go for it. You'll love it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: