• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

Two questions about the ED50, which I´m sure have been answered elsewhere but I can´t find the posts. Firstly, is the 27xw eyepiece usable (and is that the one that gives 50x on the ED82)?. Secondly, is a spongee strap a good accessory? Okay, I know that´s really three questions, I lied. The strap issue is important, I was on the Saltee Islands yesterday and my treasured ED50 slipped quietly out of its nylon and neoprene case (I hadn´t closed the zipper) which was over my shoulder. I realised too late, and a mate and I went back to look for it, missing a Lesser Whitethroat that other birders got. Just as I was waxing philosophical about the meaningless of materal possessions ("Ah well, it´s only a scope, more important things to worry about" etc. etc.), my mate found it (Long May He Live and Prosper), then he went back and got the Lsr Whitethroat so I didn´t feel so guilty. I didn´t get it, but serves me right for being a "........". (Fill in as appropriate). In any case, I´ve decided I don´t want a stay-on case because I think they detract from a scope´s "usability", so I was going to simply attach bino straps. But I remember the name "Spongee Strap" and wonder if it´ll make it possible to carry the ED50 over my shoulder safely. And I think I´d like the fixed 27xw eyepiece as I found the zoom a bit fiddly and narrow in the terrain in question. All suggestions welcome!

I generally use the 27x on the ED50 and it works very well, in all kinds of situations. This is the same lens that works as a 50x on the ED82.

Like Andrew, I use the 27x but do have the chance to use my son's zoom or 16x (from his ED82). All of these eyepieces work extremely well with this wonderful little scope but I'd agree with Andrew that the 27x is ideal for general use.

That said, I managed to have a good look through a 20x during a visit to Norfolk, recently and I have to say that I think it would now be my first choice if I were starting afresh. It was simply so very bright and wide. I also think I wouldn't bother with more than a single eyepiece!

I have several Fieldscope eyepieces, but I've decided to keep the 27x (which is the 40x on the 60 and 50x on the 78 or 82) on my 50 mm ED. I like this combination because it makes the 50mm ED nearly identical to my 78 mm ED with its 30x eyepiece, which is the setup that I use for most scoping. The 27x works so well, even in low light, that I don't see the point of using anything else. I don't have need for lower powers when scoping, so the 13-30 range of the zoom is wasted, and the upper limit of 40x of the zoom really isn't much more mag than 27x anyway. The 27x gives you the most useful scope magnification with nearly as wide a FOV as the zoom set to 13x.
--AP

Many thanks, Andrew, Steve and Alexis, and sorry for seeking repetitions of advice that you guys have already given. I´ll check out both the 20x and 27x.

Out of interest has anyone seen or experienced one of these in the 'flesh'?

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/

It looks as if it could be a lightweight, easy transportable support for an ED50. I imagine it would be rather shaky but it should be more stable than a monopod. I don't think I would want to leave my scope on it unattended, though.;)

Ron

Out of interest has anyone seen or experienced one of these in the 'flesh'?

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/

It looks as if it could be a lightweight, easy transportable support for an ED50. I imagine it would be rather shaky but it should be more stable than a monopod. I don't think I would want to leave my scope on it unattended, though.;)

Ron

Hmmmm.....interesting! Thanks Ron, maybe that´s the solution.

I use the trekpod with a 15x50 canon IS binocular .It s fine as it takes the weight off on long sessions .I was going to take it to use with the 50 ed on recent Alaska trip but it wouldnt telescope short enough to go in my suitcase.
Using the tripod legs at the full height it isn,t too steady but when made shorter as when used from a sitting position it isn,t to bad.
It does make a pretty good walking stick though.
Its 48 inches long at its short length.
Brian.

Does anyone else carry the ED50 on their belt? I tried it for the first time on Sunday using the loop on the standard case (I assume that's what it's for) and it worked really well. I left the quick release plate on (it still fits the case with it fitted) and it hangs nicely with the top of the scope towards your leg, wrapping itself round your thigh. The weight is obviously not a problem and it's more comfotable for me than trying to keep the shoulder strap in place. I always find I am tensing my shoulder to stop the strap slipping off.

It only takes a few seconds to release the draw cord, undo the zip and unclip the securing strap once you are used to it. The main problem is remembering it's there so you don't knock it against something and I kept checking the stitching on the loop to make sure it was all right.

Ron

Does anyone else carry the ED50 on their belt? I tried it for the first time on Sunday using the loop on the standard case (I assume that's what it's for) and it worked really well. I left the quick release plate on (it still fits the case with it fitted) and it hangs nicely with the top of the scope towards your leg, wrapping itself round your thigh. The weight is obviously not a problem and it's more comfotable for me than trying to keep the shoulder strap in place. I always find I am tensing my shoulder to stop the strap slipping off.

It only takes a few seconds to release the draw cord, undo the zip and unclip the securing strap once you are used to it. The main problem is remembering it's there so you don't knock it against something and I kept checking the stitching on the loop to make sure it was all right.

Ron
Thanks for the tip, Ron, I´ll give it a try!!! A word of warning...be sure when carrying the ED50 in it´s supplied case to close the zip, the button-fastener, AND the draw-cord.... I didn´t close the latter on a recent trip to the Saltee Islands, and while trying to stalk a Lesser Whitethroat that companions had found, realised my scope had "escaped" someplace. I made a quick decision...go look for the scope, try for the bird later. And I couldn´t find it. One of my mates (long may he live and prosper) also gave up the search for the Lsr. Whitethroat, doubled back and found my ED50!!! He then managed to find the bird later (thank God!!!), but I didn´t.... it was a "tick" for him, and would have been for me...but hey, at least I got my ED50 back!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back