• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED :Problem (1 Viewer)

Scooby2

I bought a pair of Hawke Frontier Ed binoculars about 9 months ago from a UK ebay retailer (I live in France). Having been initially very pleased with them I now find that the diopter adjustment is way off.
By 'way off' I mean I can't get a focussed image as the diopter is on + maximum and it still isn't enough to give a clear image (on other bins I own it's usually + one click).I'm not aware of having dropped of damaged them.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with binos and if so is it easily fixed? Should I contact the ebay vendor or send them back to Hawke optics presumably French distributor?

Depends what the warranty is. Hawke's warranty is only for the first user. If they consider the eBay dealer a vendor then they'll honor the warranty. If not you might be out of luck. I'd talk to the vendor first and then to Hawke. Hawke may even help out doing the adjustment below for a charge.

If that doesn't work you may have to fix it yourself.

I presume the issue is with the focuser not in the barrel. That's most likely as it's difficult to knock the stuff in the barrels out of adjustment without breaking them. So if there are no other issues (collimation in a single barrel) this is probably the problem.

I've described the focus mechanics for this type of bin before. The focus knob is fixed to a threaded steel rod on which rides a brass collet which carries a small aluminum plate. As the focuser rotates the brass/aluminum part moves up and down the threaded rod. To the plate are fixed two brass rods which drive the focusers in the barrels (though O-rings). One of these rods is screwed to the aluminum plate but the other has a screw adjusted spring offset mechanism so the offset between the two barrels can be set. I presume this setting has drifted off (it's "loctite-ed" in manufacture, I think).

If this is the issue you may also feel "backlash" in the mechanism as the plate moves but the rod doesn't. This is most noticeable when the "other" (fixed) screw is not fully tight. Check that first.

The adjustment is to set the diopter to center/zero then to set the spring offset mechanism so the two barrels focus equally. Then loctite the adjuster.

You can get to these settings "in" the focuser knob but removing the non-rotating cap/plate on the focuser knob. It's stuck in place with double side tape with very sticky adhesive. If you are careful when pulling it off you'll be able to reuse it.

Disclaimer: all this info is provided just to help out. I'm not responsible for any damage if you choose to follow it.

Good luck!

Depends what the warranty is. Hawke's warranty is only for the first user. If they consider the eBay dealer a vendor then they'll honor the warranty. If not you might be out of luck. I'd talk to the vendor first and then to Hawke. Hawke may even help out doing the adjustment below for a charge.

I presume the issue is with the focuser not in the barrel. That's most likely as it's difficult to knock the stuff in the barrels out of adjustment without breaking them. So if there are no other issues (collimation in a single barrel) this is probably the problem.

I've described the focus mechanics for this type of bin before. The focus knob is fixed to a threaded steel rod on which rides a brass collet which carries a small aluminum plate. As the focuser rotates the brass/aluminum part moves up and down the threaded rod. To the plate are fixed two brass rods which drive the focusers in the barrels (though O-rings). One of these rods is screwed to the aluminum plate but the other has a screw adjusted spring offset mechanism so the offset between the two barrels can be set. I presume this setting has drifted off (it's "loctite-ed" in manufacture, I think).

If this is the issue you may also feel "backlash" in the mechanism as the plate moves but the rod doesn't. This is most noticeable when the "other" (fixed) screw is not fully tight. Check that first.

The adjustment is to set the diopter to center/zero then to set the spring offset mechanism so the two barrels focus equally. Then loctite the adjuster.

You can get to these settings "in" the focuser knob but removing the non-rotating cap/plate on the focuser knob. It's stuck in place with double side tape with very sticky adhesive. If you are careful when pulling it off you'll be able to reuse it.

Disclaimer: all this info is provided just to help out. I'm not responsible for any damage if you choose to follow it.

Good luck!

Many thanks for the comprehensive answer.
Hopefully the vendor is legitimate and they'll fix it under warranty, as my efforts at fine optical engineering are traditionally doomed to fail.

Vortex had a troubles like that when they first came out with their 6.5 x 32 Fury series. I had a problem like yours with one and promptly returned it. The problem was evident the day after I received it. Vortex did eventually solve it. Hawke should fix it for you as it is either a design error or QC problem.

Putting the diopter control on the focus knob is a more complex way of setting the diopter than the traditional method of putting the control on an eyepiece. It works OK for Leica Trinovids and Ultravids but the companies that make less expensive binoculars have had some problems with it.

Send them back.

Bob

Last edited:

Good luck!

Kevin:

Good of you to offer repair options for the poster on the problems with the
Hawke. For most here, trying to repair your own binocular is not as easy as you may show here. Botch the repair and you have just an unuseable piece
and the company repair people will frown, and you are out of luck.

Now, hopefully this one will be covered under warranty. Then just send it back
for repair to Hawke, or they will probably just replace it.

For some watching this thread, warranty is very important when making a purchase, and also it is not only the view that counts, but how long your
optic will deliver its useful life. Many here want to have a binocular last for
many years, not for just months.

Jerry

I bought a pair of Hawke Frontier Ed binoculars about 9 months ago from a UK ebay retailer (I live in France). Having been initially very pleased with them I now find that the diopter adjustment is way off.
By 'way off' I mean I can't get a focussed image as the diopter is on + maximum and it still isn't enough to give a clear image (on other bins I own it's usually + one click).I'm not aware of having dropped of damaged them.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with binos and if so is it easily fixed? Should I contact the ebay vendor or send them back to Hawke optics presumably French distributor?

Hi Scooby,

If you send them back to the UK, we will rectify the issues you are having and make sure you are back using a 100% pair very soon.:t:

Click here for our UK contact details.

BTW the Frontier ED's carry a Lifetime Warranty (legally restricted to 10 years in Europe). If you have a receipt or information on where you purchased from, that's always useful.

If you send them FAO Kerrry and say you spoke to Steve, that should speed things up.

ATB,

Steve at Hawke Optics

Nice to see Hawke step up to the plate on this one. Always nice to see the manufacturers appear on the forum too.

NDHunter: this is one of the easiest fixes to do on a bin (in fact it might be the only easy one to do on recent bins!). You can't actually break the bins this way just change the focus positions of the barrels. Perhaps having a little screw drop out is perhaps the worst outcome (though you don't need to loosen them too much).

I did it on my Promaster as the warranty was only good for the first user and I was feeling increasing "backlash". In that case it was the "fixed" screw that had become a little loose letting the focuser rotate a little without moving the plate.

Ultimately it's nice to have this documented for those that might need to make a fix at some point.

Last edited:
Outstanding service from Deben. Steve has helped me out on a couple of occasions with extra straps and even the offer of a free belt case for my Hawkes'. Even better to know he is aware of these boards.

Hi Scooby,

If you send them back to the UK, we will rectify the issues you are having and make sure you are back using a 100% pair very soon.:t:

Steve at Hawke Optics

Wow. That is really impressive. I don´t own a pair of Hawkes, but now wish I did. I also get the feeling from the post that it isn´t about marketing, it´s just about helping someone out. :t:

Hi Scooby,

Click here for our UK contact details.

BTW the Frontier ED's carry a Lifetime Warranty (legally restricted to 10 years in Europe). If you have a receipt or information on where you purchased from, that's always useful.

If you send them FAO Kerrry and say you spoke to Steve, that should speed things up.

ATB,

Steve at Hawke Optics

Many thanks Steve, I very much appreciate the help, especially as the ebay vendor is taking time to reply to my email . I'll send them off to Kerry in a couple of weeks, when I get back from a trip to Greece.

I do like the bins, and with this kind of customer care, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them :t:

Many thanks Steve, I very much appreciate the help, especially as the ebay vendor is taking time to reply to my email . I'll send them off to Kerry in a couple of weeks, when I get back from a trip to Greece.

I do like the bins, and with this kind of customer care, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them :t:

You're welcome - have a good trip:t:

Just got a replacement pair of Hawke Frontier Ed bins, back by return post. Many thanks to everyone at Hawke.

Top service and great optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back