• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

astro adapter Fieldscope DS eyepieces (1 Viewer)

I've just bought the last one of that small run from the US mentioned above which is threaded for filters. When it arrives I'm planning on getting some made up but to make it worthwhile I envisage they will be more than £17 but less than the cost of getting a single one made.

I will test it out first to check it works with the MCII Zoom and the WA's. If so the advantage of using it as a model is that at least I'll know it fits, functions and focuses etc.

Last edited:
Hello fellows, sorry I missed all this. I am glad I bought this adapter. I think the OP is glad he got his as well. I guess you don't need measurements now that Nex is getting one of these adapters.

May be movement on getting some adapters made due to a very, very kind eyepiece lender to SRB-Griturn....watch this space!

Also, and forgive me if it's been asked before but, has anyone with an astro eyepiece actually unscrewed the 1.25" chromium-plated barrel(dodgy if a Barlow lens is part of it) off and hand-held the eyepiece right up to their Fieldscopes 60/78/82? The focus is perfect from infinity to close-focus. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to make(engineers out there!) a stepping ring to secure the eyepiece to the scope? I will ask Ian at SRB to let me know the thread size/pitch of Nikon eyepieces as the the scope maker won't divulge this info to me.

I only have one astro eyepiece, a Meade 20mm Super Plossl 4000 series, and on my ED78 it looks about 30x, not quite as wide as the DS but absolutely pin-sharp....and cheaper!

I also tried the 20xWide eyepiece from a friend's old ED60 ll on my ED78 and, to be honest, I preferred it to the DS. Again, not as wide but still looked about 30x-ish and its depth of field seemed better, allowing less need for critical focussing, very sharp too. Just a matter of finding one for sale somewhere....any out there, please?

Steve

The Meade 20mm eyepiece would be about 26x in your ED78.
"focal length of 78/82 Fieldscope 525mm 60mm Fieldscope 420mm and 50ED Fieldscope 280mm"

(...) Surely it wouldn't be difficult to make(engineers out there!) a stepping ring to secure the eyepiece to the scope? I will ask Ian at SRB to let me know the thread size/pitch of Nikon eyepieces as the the scope maker won't divulge this info to me. (...)
Very interesting!
Could you please be so kind and share SRB's answer with us, preferredly in a special thread?

Thanks, Steve, I thought the Meade seemed a little under 30x.

I forgot to use that calculation of eyepiece power by dividing the scope body's focal length(525mm for ED78) by the eyepiece value(20mm)....hence your 26.25x.

Steve

The Delrin adapter from the US arrived last week but only tonight did the clouds part and I was able to give it a try. It is perfect and both the MCII zoom and 38xW MC work a treat.

The 38X is fantastic!! Equivalent to a 14mm in my 6SE and apart from the bigger open clusters it is my EP of choice for pretty much everything else.

I have done the decent thing and borrowed a set of digi calipers and sent details to SRB-Griturn so others can benefit.

That's good to hear, Neil, and very considerate of you to have sent the measurements to SRB-Griturn, thankyou. However, I have since learnt that it is quite a straightforward adapter, and SRB have made several similar ones for other eyepieces in the past, the dimensions of your adapter were not needed or used, anyway. They only required an eyepiece, the 1.25" barrel being quite standard.

So, it's very much appreciated that George had loaned an eyepiece to them already for thread-size measurement. Only a very small and limited quantity of an adapter will be made, I believe.

Many thanks

Steve

Last edited:
Hi All,

George here, he of the MC II zoom and nosepiece sent to Ian at SRB. Finally got the OK and quote for 10 to be made with thread to the nosepiece for filters etc. I have ordered and paid for them but they may take up to 6 weeks to come.

I'm having 3, a couple are going to Steve, which leaves 5 for anyone interested in having one. I am offering them at £22 plus £3 P&P in the UK. The Borg adapter was £50 if I remember correctly.

I'll probably put my spare zoom up for sale with an adapter when they come through too. I rigged it up Heath Robinson style to my C6 NGT and the views were amazing, but I really wanted the security of an adapter. Hence getting the batch made.

Anyone interested please let me know,

All the best,

George

George,

two question since I´m not sure if I´ve understood correctly. Does the adapter made by SRB fit only to the MC II zoom or also to other Nikon eyepieces, e.g. the 30x DS? What do you mean by 'nosepiece'.
Regards,

Steve

Hello Steve,

The adapter screws on to all Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces except the early Fieldscope I series, and neither will it fit the bayonet Nikon Spotter Scopes.

The 'nosepiece' is the standard 1.25"(31.5mm) diameter barrel which push-fits eyepieces on to most astronomical telescopes.

Steve

Thanks steve

Thanks to Steve and Neil for collaborating in getting these adapters made. and thanks Steve for answering the above, the adapters thread onto the eyepiece and allow it's use in an astronomical telescope. Looking forward to getting mine,

All the best,

George

Just to let you know, the adapters are finally due in to me this week, I'm offering them at £25 delivered in the Uk,

All the best,

George

Looksharp,

I doubt that you can use Nikon EPs with this adapter on your Pentax scope. Problem is to get sharp focus because the adapter couldn't get deep enough into the EP slot of the scope.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back