• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going on safari, need <$300 binos for my wife. (1 Viewer)

Sheepdog

My wife and I are going on an African safari in a few weeks, and we need a set of binoculars for her.

I will be bringing my Swift Audubon 828s that I purchased 10 years ago based on recommendations I found on this forum. She likes them a lot, and I don't want her to be disappointed in the quality of the optics she brings, but...

We are trying to keep the price for her binoculars pretty low, as this safari is likely the only time they will get used. She wanted to spend only $100, but I talked her up from there. She'll probably balk even at $300, but if a compelling case can be made I think she'll agree to a pair around $250, or possibly a little higher.

What would you all recommend for her?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you/her will be viewing at very low light levels, I would recommend a 30 or 32mm bino. These will be large enough to be very useful, and small enough to let dangle from a neck strap all day. The only potential downside to these is that many will have rather short ER's. IMO the best around $300 is the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, but they usually run a bit more than your budget. Still though, take a look through them, as they are a very nice bino that is also one of the smaller ones in it's class.

Otherwise, the Cabela's-labled twin to the Leupold Mojave mention above is the best deal going right now. The Sightron SII Blue Sky is also a very good option, but will cost more than the Cabela's right now. Lastly, you might investigate the Nikon Prostaff 7s, which gets very good reviews. I haven't looked through one, but it certainly seems to be a good performer for it's price.

Eagle Optics new Denali 8x42, $220.00: https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections/binoculars/products/eagle-optics-denali-8x42-binocular

The Vortex Diamondback 8x42 is a reliable binocular at $220.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections/binoculars/vortex+200-400

Note the many good reviews it has.

Ask Eagle Optics about their 30 day return policy. Tell them you are going on a Safari.

You want to vet your new binocular out properly to make sure it is working OK before you leave for Africa. You don't want to be stuck there with one that has problems.

Bob

Last edited:
I don't have a LOT of experience for a 8X32 in this price range BUT... I recently purchased a Cabela's Guide 8X32 and the Leopold Mojave 8X32, both from Cabela's. They ARE by all appearance the same binocular with just some cosmetic differences. Both seem to be nice binoculars for the money especially considering their current price. The Cabela's Guide 8X32 is currently $150.00. I don't know how one would beat the quality/specs/optics of THAT binocular for THAT price.

For an 8X42...I'd go with the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42. Amazon has it for $280 and eBay currently has one for $235, you may be able to find it for less. I think the $235 will be hard to beat. I've had one of these for several months...nice binocular for the money.

Have fun on your safari!

I don't have a LOT of experience for a 8X32 in this price range BUT... I recently purchased a Cabela's Guide 8X32 and the Leopold Mojave 8X32, both from Cabela's. They ARE by all appearance the same binocular with just some cosmetic differences. Both seem to be nice binoculars for the money especially considering their current price. The Cabela's Guide 8X32 is currently $150.00. I don't know how one would beat the quality/specs/optics of THAT binocular for THAT price.

Any reason to get the Mojave over the Guide, given the $50 price difference (currently at Cabela's)?

If she's cute I bet you could even get a $500 binocular for her.....

but don't think you should be going if you have to trade off the wife for a new set of bins.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back