• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon travel scope (1 Viewer)

matt green said:
oh no,i promised myself i would'nt lust for a new scope since i am saving for ultravids, or el's or something!.i quite fancy one of these on a manfrotto monopod.it looks so small and light i think i could take it out with me all the time without exception.

[99% of all shed spiders are given the name boris
by thier owners!],shed facts

Wouldn't half save some weight when travelling abroad. Get thee behind me........

i too had a bash of this little scope at the bird fair, and what a scope it is - super light (obviously), but also very good image indeed, cracking detail and a nice crisp image.

i thought that it was going to be quite pricey, but under £300! - a steal!

Yep, I read what you wrote - but no lady birders that I know seem to feel that their lives are in any way incomplete for the want of a pink scope...

;)

Last edited:
romancitizen said:
dipped said:
Hi All, InFocus have some details on the new 50mmED travel scope to be previewed at the (UK) Birdfair.http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/whatsnew.html

Has anyone actually seen one of these in a shop anywhere ? or available online ?

I tried calling Nikon, but got fobbed off with 'Just passing you through' about three times so I gave up.

I contacted In Focus last week. They are not in yet, but expected 'soon'.

trealawboy said:
I contacted In Focus last week. They are not in yet, but expected 'soon'.

I have one on order; infocus told me by e-mail a couple of days ago that they hoped to have ''some news'' on them by the end of this week and would be in touch. Not heard anything so far.

Sean

dogfish said:
I have one on order; infocus told me by e-mail a couple of days ago that they hoped to have ''some news'' on them by the end of this week and would be in touch. Not heard anything so far.

Sean

There was one angled version at In Focus, Slimbridge yesterday. The sales chap claimed there were on 17 in the UK at present. He mentioned that the straight bodied version was not available at present.

I bought one on Saturday from Kay Optical.
Compared it against the MM2 with HDF zoom in the shop. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there was no contest at the top end of the zoom. The ED50 remains sharp all the way to the top.
I've not had much time to play with it yet and I've not used a scope with ED lens before but I'm also well impressed with the quality of the digiscoping with my bog standard Canon A70 camera.
Oh, and it's absolutely diddy!
Can't wait to take it on my travels to India next week... it'll be chained to my person at all times.

My ordered scope arrived from infocus last week. Initial impressions with the zoom (the 20x60 on the 60mm scope) very good (even at top magnification) in today's low light. Just a brief test though.

Sean

dombates said:
Correct - apologies for using silly English on an international website!

Don't apologize, I always like to learn new words. That's why I keep asking. The word just has not made it yet into the dictionaries, as far as I can tell.

Swissboy said:
Should be 50mm, I think? My Fieldscope III has 60mm.
My phrasing was clumsy. The zoom I was using on the new 50mm scope was the one that gives 20 to 60x magnification on the 60mm scope; it gives 13 to 40x on the 50mm scope.

Sean

Hi Robert

the scope is 207mm long and weighs about 450g without the lens. Approx the size of an extended MM2

Diddy sounds about right.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back