• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Papua New Guinea (1 Viewer)

eremita

Hi all,

Anyone been to my country- Papua New Guinea.

Well anyways its a great place with with about 200 bird species.

A big shout to all you bird enthusiasts around the world and keep up the good work birds.

By the way I am a conservationist and studying wildfowls here in Papua New Guinea.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Cheers

Eremita

Hi, Eremita,
Yes I did visit PNG once (quite a long time ago). I only had a few days at Boroko and in Milne Bay Province and didn't have an adequate field guide so I only identified about 60 species.... but was glad to see Raggiana BoP and Papuan Hornbill.
I think your estimate of 200 species is rather on the low side. "Birds of the World: a checklist" by James F Clements gives the no. of species for "New Guinea" as 736, including 330 endemics.
Cheers,
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back