• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
Brightness seems identical to me. If you only had the zoom you'd love it - but when you put a fixed eyepiece on, the image is so w-i-d-e as to make the zoom a little less attractive.

I like the 20x eyepiece because it is so bright, sharp and wide - it just "does the job" for when a heavyweight scope isn't convenient.

I haven't tried my ED50 on a lightweight tripod - that's when I think it'll really shine. It's fine with a shoulder pod but that kind of kit, as beautifully light as it is, does have its limitations for long steady viewing - when a tripod would come into its own.

i agree Steve = no fainting!!

the zoom at 13x is very wide for a zoom. got to say its a super little scope.

my own view was that 20x may lack a little power. lovely view though.

i'd be interested to compare the 27x to the zoom never done that

pduxon said:

Essex man agrees with Midlander! Wow!

If we ever get round to meeting at Minsmere or Titchwell, Pete - you'll be welcome to borrow the 27x!

I'm wondering what lightweight tripods are around that don't cost a fortune!

scampo said:
Essex man agrees with Midlander! Wow!

If we ever get round to meeting at Minsmere or Titchwell, Pete - you'll be welcome to borrow the 27x!

I bought a Delta Travel Tripod (actually made by Velbon) from In Focus which is great with the ED50 when it's not too windy. Not sure if they still stock the Velbon version - they advertise a different version which looks like the Slik Video Sprint model. Not sure if that's as good as the Velbon.

dombates said:
I bought a Delta Travel Tripod (actually made by Velbon) from In Focus which is great with the ED50 when it's not too windy. Not sure if they still stock the Velbon version - they advertise a different version which looks like the Slik Video Sprint model. Not sure if that's as good as the Velbon.
I'm 6'4" so that might prove a problem but the next time I'm at Rutland Water I'll be sure to pop in to the In Focus store - very helpful folk they are, too!

pduxon said:

I bought one of these little beauties at Cley Spy yesterday, big thanks to postcardcv for his excellent help, & compared the 20x, 27x, & 13-40x zoom eyepieces before deciding. In my opinion the 27x was the best overall choice as it gives a lovely wide bright view with a little extra mag. However it was stunning with all the eyepieces particularly the 20x, I just felt that the extra mag would be useful. The zoom was absolutely fine & usable at 40x although I considered that the no of occasions on which I might use the top end of the zoom would be negligable.

Cheers,

John. :t:

JohnnyH said:
I bought one of these little beauties at Cley Spy yesterday, big thanks to postcardcv for his excellent help, & compared the 20x, 27x, & 13-40x zoom eyepieces before deciding. In my opinion the 27x was the best overall choice as it gives a lovely wide bright view with a little extra mag. However it was stunning with all the eyepieces particularly the 20x, I just felt that the extra mag would be useful. The zoom was absolutely fine & usable at 40x although I considered that the no of occasions on which I might use the top end of the zoom would be negligable.

Cheers,

John. :t:

Exactly what I said after purchasing the Nikon zoom - giving 25-75x with my ED78....and then I discovered Eagles. On a bright, clear day the "upper range" 50-75x is used.

I think it equates to 40x on the ED50? - well 13-40x is nice, I also have a couple of fixed eyepieces, 20 & 27 ( I think!) - as a direct, if cruel comparison, I can compare the ED50 & 13-40x with the Bushnell Spacemaster (collapsible) & 15-45x - should be a close run thing 3:)

scampo said:

I suppose it depends on what you call a fortune. WE are doing the Velbon CF 630 Pro for £139. It's a carbon-fibre job - very lightweight and stable. And extremely usable by us normal-sized (6' 4") people (the description says it extends to 165cm - but that's without the centre column and the head).

hollis_f said:
I suppose it depends on what you call a fortune. WE are doing the Velbon CF 630 Pro for £139. It's a carbon-fibre job - very lightweight and stable. And extremely usable by us normal-sized (6' 4") people (the description says it extends to 165cm - but that's without the centre column and the head).
Thanks for the advice. I succumbed (why do I do that...) and bought a Velbon CF - they are very lightweight, it's true. I've currently got my 700RC head on it and that makes a good combination.

Swissboy said:
It's fairly easy, isn't it! :'D :'D Happens to me all the time.
It's a (bad) sign of the times. I don't like to think of myself as that materialistic but there it was - a CF Velbon on special offer alongside an MF 055 and when I picked it up, well, I could hardly believe it.

My long-suffering better half took it well, considering. Anyway, I was carrying my Zeiss 85 on it this evening and, well - my shoulder never complained once. It is that good. With the ED50, it'll be amazing.

I've just bought one with the zoom and I'm really pleased with it. I'm also new to birding, not as young as I was and I wanted a scope that I wouldn't think twice about taking with me. I've even managed some photos (Hand held) and a couple of them have come out really well (I Think!). The only slight downside is the lack of a stay on case, I'm a bit of a clumsy s*d. All in all I'd say it's an excellent piece of kit.

robsonc said:
I've just bought one with the zoom and I'm really pleased with it. I'm also new to birding, not as young as I was and I wanted a scope that I wouldn't think twice about taking with me. I've even managed some photos (Hand held) and a couple of them have come out really well (I Think!). The only slight downside is the lack of a stay on case, I'm a bit of a clumsy s*d. All in all I'd say it's an excellent piece of kit.
Can you post one of those images, Chris? People here are denying it would be useful for photography, but I'm not so sure.

I wonder if a stay on case will eventually come along. The case they give is okay - I leave it on till I'm using the scope then roll it up in my pocket.

What is the difference between the new Nikon turn and slide ep's and the conventional type? Which would get the best out of the ed 50?
Jim

passerine said:
What is the difference between the new Nikon turn and slide ep's and the conventional type? Which would get the best out of the ed 50?
Jim
I believe there's little in it optically. The slide-type eyepieces are, I think, fully waterproof and have improved coatings.

Last edited:
scampo said:
Can you post one of those images, Chris? People here are denying it would be useful for photography, but I'm not so sure.

I wonder if a stay on case will eventually come along. The case they give is okay - I leave it on till I'm using the scope then roll it up in my pocket.

I think that the supplied case is more than adequate protection when carrying the scope & can be slipped off pdq when you want to use the scope. I think that Nikon should be applauded for not trying to rip birders off by screwing them for silly money for soc's that mostly are not needed.

scampo said:

This is taken with a Sony DSCP72, Hand held with the zoom about20x. Not brilliant but I was quite pleased with it for a first attempt. I wish "Her Indoors" would stop turning the date stamp on!!

Attachments

• Puffin2.jpg
    Puffin2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 332
robsonc said:
This is taken with a Sony DSCP72, Hand held with the zoom about20x. Not brilliant but I was quite pleased with it for a first attempt. I wish "Her Indoors" would stop turning the date stamp on!!

Nowt much wrong with that - I'd be very happy. I'm getting more and more tempted by one of these. Any idea whether you can use the adapters with the zoom?

Richard D said:
Nowt much wrong with that - I'd be very happy. I'm getting more and more tempted by one of these. Any idea whether you can use the adapters with the zoom?
Very nice shot of the puffin - speaks well of that little scope!

The Nikon adapter will not allow the zoom to operate once fitted - but to be honest, digiscoping beyond 25x is hardly a good idea - too much magnification.

robsonc said:

Hi Chris,Very nice shot of the Puffin.I have the same camera and use it in a ETX 90 for long distance shots.Did you use the optical zoom?I have to use the zoom to keep from vignetting the image.Thanks for posting this and I think these small Nikon ED scopes are the beans.Have fun.
Steve

mooreorless said:
Hi Chris,Very nice shot of the Puffin.I have the same camera and use it in a ETX 90 for long distance shots.Did you use the optical zoom?I have to use the zoom to keep from vignetting the image.Thanks for posting this and I think these small Nikon ED scopes are the beans.Have fun.
Steve

Steve,

Yes, I did use the optical zoom for the same reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back