• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nick patel (1 Viewer)

NickPatel92

nick patel (do not post in this thread instead in my lancashire local patch thread)

hi this is nick patel, i am new to this forum. i live in lancashire. i am fairly new to birding- jan/feb this year. anyone any comments?

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

All levels of birder are welcome here and if you have any questions there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people who are happy to help :t:

i have seen 164 birds in total so far, i would like to add to this with one of the most colourful birds, i think anyway. does anyone know where a good place is for redstarts in lancashire?

nick patel said:
hi, how do you get a small picture for your profile image, all the images i seem to get all seem to be too big!
You'll need to use a photo editor to reduce the size of the image to fit the requirements (I forget the size required). Something like PaintShop Pro or PhotoShop Elements do it easily, but if you don't have these, there's what seems to be a completely free photo editor here: http://www.vicman.net/vcwphoto/photo_f.htm

does anyone have any info on the black redstarts that are meant to be around somewhere in manchester, as i saw some in meung-sur-loire in france on holiday, quite easily and well, but i would love to see one in this country!

nick patel said:
does anyone have any info on the black redstarts that are meant to be around somewhere in manchester, as i saw some in meung-sur-loire in france on holiday, quite easily and well, but i would love to see one in this country!
I've never seen one. They are very uncommon and local, breeding in a few places here and there in the south, mainly, I think.

It's difficult to pick a favourite bird. One bird I'd love to see is a wryneck. I wouldn't mind seeing a black redstart, mind you!

scampo said:
I've never seen one. They are very uncommon and local, breeding in a few places here and there in the south, mainly, I think.

It's difficult to pick a favourite bird. One bird I'd love to see is a wryneck. I wouldn't mind seeing a black redstart, mind you!

you said you wouldn't mind seeing a black redstart. well i seriously recommend trying to find one, as i think they are an absolutely beautiful bird. if you were willing to go abroad to see one, you should try the place i went to - meung-sur-loire, in france, as it is quite common there and you get very good views of them, also there are good views of serins and terns there as well!

nick patel said:

Nick,

Welcome to birdforum.

Sadly, such information like breeding Black Redstarts in Manchester cannot be released on a public forum like this, due to the sensitivity of this being a rare breeder. As we all know, and have heard many times before, it is not just birders patrolling these forums.

Your best bet would be to encounter Black Redstarts on passage in either the spring and autumn at coastal locations, but often inland too.

All the very best,
Josh

wrexile1 said:
Nick,

Welcome to birdforum.

Sadly, such information like breeding Black Redstarts in Manchester cannot be released on a public forum like this, due to the sensitivity of this being a rare breeder. As we all know, and have heard many times before, it is not just birders patrolling these forums.

Your best bet would be to encounter Black Redstarts on passage in either the spring and autumn at coastal locations, but often inland too.

All the very best,
Josh

well if you can't tell me about the black redstarts, could you tell me any places for a barn owl in lancashire?

nick patel said:
well if you can't tell me about the black redstarts, could you tell me any places for a barn owl in lancashire?

Martinmere in winter is a good place. Good views and close to the hide
Cheers, Nick Smith

other than me asking you lot where to see individual birds, how about if any of you want to know where any certain birds can be seen, i can tell you if i've seen them and where, and anything else!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back