• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Headed Nuthatch (1 Viewer)

David in NC

We have had white breasted nuthatches ever since we moved into our house and I enjoy watching their flitty little movements extensively.

I know there has been a push in my area and on a bigger scale to build nestboxes for the brown headed nuthatch, to improve habitat for them and range.

I have seen some an hour away from my house but never locally.

Yesterday I noted nuthatches on my feeders (even some "storing" seeds under my shingles-mixed feelings on that!) I kind of thought their calls were odd but didn't even dwell on this. This morning I was waiting on a neighbor to come by to help on a yard project and I thought some of them visiting the feeders had brown heads. I got the bins out and watched several for a long while. They were brown headed nuthatches. They (along with black capped chickadees, white breasted nuthatches, finches, cardinals, and even a woodpecker) shared the feeders.

Glad to see another yard list bird and know one more species is dining at my birdie diner! :t:

UPDATE-

Only seen the BROWN HEADED nuthatches for about a week. Haven't seen one since although the WHITE BREASTED ones are daily visitors.

Perhaps a flock was merely passing through your area? Quite interesting. I just looked at a map, and realized that they live in the south - I hadn't realized that - thought perhaps they were western... I'm a big nuthatch fan and would like to see those Brown-headed ones.

The White-breasted Nuthatches are always here in Missouri and once in awhile the Red-breasted ones in the winter months, but we do get the Brown-headed ones down in south Missouri. Wish we would get the Brown-headed ones up here where we live in the northwest part of the state.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back