• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 40D has packed-up (1 Viewer)

I've been reading this thread with some interest as I am currently thinking about upgrading from my 400d to the 40d in the very near future. Now I'm not so sure.
One of the attractions of the 40d is its superior fps count over my current model. If I've read this correctly it seems that this can be a direct link to "premature" shutter failiure.
Is this kind of fault very common with the 40d?
If so, is it worth me paying almost £600 for a brand new 40d that may not even last 12months before being struck down by dreaded shutter failiure.
I would rather buy a new model than a second hand one.
What advice would you give me please.

One of the attractions of the 40d is its superior fps count over my current model. If I've read this correctly it seems that this can be a direct link to "premature" shutter failiure.
Is this kind of fault very common with the 40d?

I'm not sure that there is any evidence that the 6fps is the cause of the shutter failures. I have had a couple of 40Ds and regularly used them at full speed with no problems.

My 40D has been set at the high speed burst for pretty much the entire 12 months I've had it and at over 10,000 clicks it's still going strong. Touch wood!

I would not buy the 40d. Too many on bf have had problems - as I did - I have exchanged mine for the 50d and that is the route I would take if I were you.

I would not buy the 40d. Too many on bf have had problems - as I did - I have exchanged mine for the 50d and that is the route I would take if I were you.

Given the relative number of 40Ds and 50Ds out there it's hardly surprising that there have been some members with issues. In time we'll hear about shutter failures on the 50D (just as we have with the 30D, 20D, 1D mkII and the mkIII), shutters do fail sometimes, it can happen on any camera.

As I said earlier in this thread I wonder about the possible link between these failures and the use of a tc with taped pins. As I said at the time I do not know how it could be connected but since posting it I have been made aware of four more indicents where this has happened. From people who I have spoke to I know of eleven shutter failures on Canon DSLRs, nine of these have been on cameras that have been used with a taped tc! Perhaps it is just coincidence, but I'm not convinced....

Without wishing to cause offence that is rubbish Kim. There must be far more folks that are happy with their 40D`s than not. As far as upgrading ? to a 50D that may not be an option for some people.
I also use my 40D in the high speed burst mode and, touch wood again, I have had no problems whatsoever.
Interesting conspiracy ? theory regarding using a TC with taped pins Pete. I cannot honestly see how this would affect the shutter unless it is putting more strain on it ?

Trouble is when someone has a problem (like me) you hear about it but the millions who have bought the camera with no problems stay silent. A shutter can go any any Camera - it could be that the 50D turns out to be more troublesome than the 40D, who knows?
The occasional Camera failure is not just restricted to Canon either, Nikon have problems just the same just do a Google for, say, D300 problems and see the hits you get. The same applies if you search for 50D problems, they are out there already!.
There is no doubting that the 40D is a excellent Camera for bird photography and although I have had a shutter failure I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone (even a second hand one).

I wouldn't say the 40D is a bad camera, Kim, far from it. As others here have pointed out a few broken/faulty cameras on a forum are unrepresentative of the millions which have been sold since the thing was launched.
I occasionally use my 40D in burst mode and so far (touch wood) it is okay. I'm happy with it, it's a good camera.

As I said earlier in this thread I wonder about the possible link between these failures and the use of a tc with taped pins. As I said at the time I do not know how it could be connected but since posting it I have been made aware of four more indicents where this has happened. From people who I have spoke to I know of eleven shutter failures on Canon DSLRs, nine of these have been on cameras that have been used with a taped tc! Perhaps it is just coincidence, but I'm not convinced....
I just cannot see this Peter, I would have thought that a taped tc is as harmless as a filter as far as the shutter goes. In 1 shot you cannot fire the shutter until focus is achieved and in Servo mode the shutter is meant to fire regardless as to whether or not focus has been achieved.
With regards to lens 'hunting' I reckon I get no more hunting with a taped tc than the average user gets even when not using a tc simply by turning off focus search - in this mode any severe hunting is impossible !.
Even for users of a taped tc who suffer a lot of hunting I just cannot see how it could effect the shutter.
Maybe there is a common denominator in the brand of memory card used ;) (only joking).

The only thng I can think of a taped tc affecting is the autofocus. If it is hunting a lot it could possibly damage the AF mechanism, but not the shutter.

Thanks for the information folks.
Looks like I may well be getting myself a 40d then. Can't really afford the 50d and the difference in performance doesn't seem to justify the extra cost. (Well not from what I've read about it on this forum.)

Thanks for the information folks.
Looks like I may well be getting myself a 40d then. Can't really afford the 50d and the difference in performance doesn't seem to justify the extra cost. (Well not from what I've read about it on this forum.)
When you read people's opinions about cameras it's always a good idea to check to see if they actually own, or have used, the cameras they have such strong opinions about.

I know of eleven shutter failures on Canon DSLRs, nine of these have been on cameras that have been used with a taped tc! Perhaps it is just coincidence, but I'm not convinced....

It would be useful to know which lenses had been used with a taped Tc ... if the majority/many of them were a 500mm lens or longer, then there would be a reason to be afraid :-C
if not, then this would just mean that most of these photographers feel they are often too short, and need a TC on :C .. I guess most of us are in the same boat :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back