• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D died today! (1 Viewer)

Got it back today :t:

Only 5 weeks this time 8-P

Hopefully it will be okay from now on. I only managed to get out late this evening to try it out. Conveniently a pair Short-eared Owl have been around the last few days to pose as subjects.
Looking good Ian :t:

I only managed to get out late this evening to try it out. Conveniently a pair Short-eared Owl have been around the last few days to pose as subjects.

Wow, just stunning. Do those owls come when you call Ian, you don't seem to be able to miss them at the moment (jealous, moi?)... ;)

Wow, just stunning. Do those owls come when you call Ian, you don't seem to be able to miss them at the moment (jealous, moi?)... ;)

Lol! I think they recognise the car now 8-P

I drove along the road to the car park at the end without seeing one but when I returned back down the road it was sat on the fence waiting for me ;)

The other one was sat in the field posing nicely showing it's 'short ears' :king:

This thread is depressing - been thinking about the D40 for a while, but so many people are getting cameras that die on them a few months in!

Camera in Lithuania costs a staggering £185 more than in the UK, so was thinking to pick one up in Britain - this then means headaches if the thing breaks down, returning to the UK, etc.

Last edited:
there are bound to be more good ones than bad ones.

Yes, but 'more could than bad' could mean 49% are rubbish ;) I like my odds a little higher than that.

Just from this forum, a good portion of the regular users have needed to return their camera, that really not saying good things about the camera.

An additional question, if you walk into say Jessops, will they match their online prices? At least this way I can go into a real shop and try the thing (I will have two days in the UK, one a Sunday, so birding not buying, the next being the Monday).

Jessops should match their own online prices but they don't match other people's online prices (I asked when I bought my 400mm lens in the summer).

As for the 40D, look at it this way - how many people on this thread have had their's die? Five or so? Maybe one or two more than that (I've not counted)? I'd venture to say that for every disgruntled customer there's twenty happy ones. I did think twice before buying my 40D a few months ago but so far it's been good (which has now probably just given it the kiss of death!).

When I bought a Nikon D70 back in January 2005 I had concerns about that camera because I kept reading about so many dying and having to be returned to Nikon and Nikon denying there was a problem. However, mine was fine (it was from a later batch with soldered internals rather than clipped-together ones) and gave me no trouble until I exchanged it for the D80 in November 2006. It's entirely possible that the same situation exists with the 40D.

Have you considered the 50D if you're concerned about the reliability of the 40D?

Maybe a trip less = a decent camera.

Yup, given a choice between a trip and a camera, the trip wins hands down - I am quite happy with the antique I use, I just want a second body.

Mind you, I'd class the D40 a decent camera ;) My only reservation with the D40 is the frequency with which they seem to suffer problems.

Yup, given a choice between a trip and a camera, the trip wins hands down - I am quite happy with the antique I use, I just want a second body.

I agree there, I want a 500mm lens and by the time I could save for one I'd end up blowing the cash on a trip! :t:

So why not go for the 450D or a secondhand body?

Last edited:
I have just (last week) bought a 40D and have only had it out once - taken 150 shots. My 30D gave up the ghost and I was just no getting any sharp images. The 40 had made me realise how poor some of the images with the 30D were and that most (95%!) were not crisp. I hope your 40D gets back soon Ian, and I hope mine does not give me any grief!

I have the 50d and the 450d, at the moment I cannot see a great difference, but only
had the 50d a few weeks, so it needs a good go out in the sun............

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back