• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for Gigrin Farm (1 Viewer)

Ash1456

I am visiting Gigrin farm at the beginning of June and was wondering what setup should I use. eg.
M, Tv, Av.
Tripod or hand held
My 400 L (prime) or my Tamron 70-300.
Which Hide?

I know Manual is best but can Av work as well?

Also are there anywhere in the area that are good for photography?
:t:

If you are comfortable handholding then go that way for the flight shots.You may be lucky to get a Kite feeding on the ground in which case I would go with a tripod and converter if you have one.I always shoot in AV,partial metering and over expose for the flight shots if its cloudy, but it is really down to personal preference to be honest.400mm is more than enough for flight shots as they are in and out of the frame so quickly on anything above that so you get the clipped off wings etc.Got loads of them LOL!
My favourite hide is the first one on the left as you go down to the feeding station from the car park.This is the best one for getting the hill behind as a backdrop to your shots instead of the sky.The raised hides that are designed with photographers in mind are also great but are a bit overpriced IMO.
Hope this helps and best of luck.Its a great place!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back