• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400mm f5.6 with 1.4x tc (1 Viewer)

Without doubt the cheapest option for a new one is via one of the Hong Kong dealers on EBay where it will cost you around £70 possibly plus duty and VAT if you're unlucky (I've never had a consignment charged from the Far East but have from UPS and Fedex parcels from the USA).

Microglobe in London advertise them as in stock at £99 but when I rang them a couple of months ago they were awaiting a delivery despite the status given on their website (here).

Photosolution (also in London) have them advertised at £99 too. Details are here.

there is a far cheaper alternative and thats to buy yourself a portable hide to get closer to the action!

its also a far more enjoyable experience too :t:

advice please.

Just picked up on this thread as I am buying the Canon 1.4x-ll to use with my 400m f5.6, will I still have to tape the pins with the version ll? and will the converter work with the 100m Canon macro lens I am going to buy?

Thanks in advance. Neil.

Just picked up on this thread as I am buying the Canon 1.4x-ll to use with my 400m f5.6, will I still have to tape the pins with the version ll? and will the converter work with the 100m Canon macro lens I am going to buy?

Thanks in advance. Neil.
Depends on the camera Neil, a 1 series camera will af up to f8 (centre af point) but for other cameras you will need to tape the pins to af.

The Canon 1.4 tc will not fit directly onto the Canon 100mm macro but I believe you can do it with certain type of extension tube between the two (I use a Kenko pro 1.4 tc with the Canon 100mm macro).

Depends on the camera Neil, a 1 series camera will af up to f8 (centre af point) but for other cameras you will need to tape the pins to af.

The Canon 1.4 tc will not fit directly onto the Canon 100mm macro but I believe you can do it with certain type of extension tube between the two (I use a Kenko pro 1.4 tc with the Canon 100mm macro).

Thanks for the quick reply. My birding outfit is a 30D with the 400mm. The converter should be with me today or tomorrow so I will tape the pins and have a play.

One last thing, which adapter do I need to use the 1.4 converter with the 100mm macro lens. Thanks again. Neil.

Thanks for the quick reply. My birding outfit is a 30D with the 400mm. The converter should be with me today or tomorrow so I will tape the pins and have a play.

One last thing, which adapter do I need to use the 1.4 converter with the 100mm macro lens. Thanks again. Neil.
The taped tc works very well with the 30D so you should be OK (much better than the 40D IMO).

The Canon 1.4 tc has a protrusion that stops it fitting on most lenses (inc the 100 macro) to overcome this you apparently have to fit a thin extension tube (12mm is what I have seen quoted) between the Lens and the converter. Having said that, I have a set of Jessops extension tubes and they do not fit the converter so I guess different make tubes are constructed differently. Maybe Kenko or Canon extension tubes will work but I cannot say which.

Last edited:

The adapter I use to fit my Canon 1.4x to the Sigma 150mm macro lens is a 21mm extension tube with a round opening. I also have a set of of Jessops tubes but they have a rectangular (sensor shaped) opening which does not fit over the protruding end of the Canon TC. I'm afraid I can't see what make the extension tube is as it was second hand from eBay and is unmarked. I think you can get away with shorter ones - possibly 14mm??

HTH

Tim

I tried today my brother`s Canon 1000D with Canon 100-400mm L and Kenko 1.4 300 Pro: autofocus with center point was really superb !! Does anybody know, if the 30D is as good in fousing with 1.4 converter + Canon 100-400 or Canon 400 f5.6 in comparison to 1000D / 450D ?? My old 20D is certainly not and my 40D works with the outer focus points only.

Regards,
Andreas

I tried today my brother`s Canon 1000D with Canon 100-400mm L and Kenko 1.4 300 Pro: autofocus with center point was really superb !! Does anybody know, if the 30D is as good in fousing with 1.4 converter + Canon 100-400 or Canon 400 f5.6 in comparison to 1000D / 450D ?? My old 20D is certainly not and my 40D works with the outer focus points only.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
no experience with the zoom, but IMO the pin-taped combo (400mm prime + 1.4x tc) works quite well with the 20D (it hunts a bit in poor light, better manual focussing first); not a big difference with the 30D I tested and - as you know - very, very poor results with the 40D (centre focus point)

Just thought I would report back. I have had the Canon TC for a week now, I taped the 3 pins and went for a play, AF is a bit slow, especially in poor light (to be expected).
I have had some reasonable results hand held, and some very good results from the monopod. All in all I am happy with the 30D/400mm/1.4TC combo.

I have ordered the Kenko 1.5tc amd the Kenko 2xtc.
I will do some comparison tests with the TCs and see how they compare.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Just missed out on a UK based 1.5x converter on eBay. I was winning until 5 secs to go then there was a rush of automatic bids so a popular item!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back