• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (2 Viewers)

Still wielding an SX40

I still take my trusty SX40 everywhere with me. I held off upgrading to a SX50, but a good SX60 may be too difficult to ignore. A recent picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 150
Still some great shots coming from people with the SX40. I will wait and see what the SX60 is like before I make any decision on an upgrade. Here are a few from recently. The Mallard young edited in Photomatix.

John

Attachments

• Mallard_0041_tonemapped.jpg
    Mallard_0041_tonemapped.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 105
  • Pied-Wagtail_9719.jpg
    Pied-Wagtail_9719.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Spotted_0120.jpg
    Spotted_0120.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Spitfire_9991.jpg
    Spitfire_9991.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Speckled-Wood_9904.jpg
    Speckled-Wood_9904.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 110
great shots draycotebirding ,I wish they would hurry up with the sx60 ,if it gets bad reviews I will buy the sx 50 purely for that extra 10x zoom ,here is one I took last week ,taken at full zoom and cropped,not an easy bird to get close to especially at this time of year ,this is one of a breeding pair and was a bit of a hike to get to,the dslr setup would be too heavy to reach here

Attachments

• raven.JPG
    raven.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 176
Still a nifty little camera this! Here are some Odonata from the past few weeks. Not a bad flight shot of the Migrant Hawker considering - especially with this camera as quick focussing they ain't! Only way I managed it was to pre-focus on something static in the dragon's flight plan (which thankfully they generally repeat) and then just follow it with the button half-depressed until it was in the shot.....here's hoping the SX60 has faster focussing and not just the extra zoom.....:t:

hawker migrant (Medium).JPGdarter common (10) (Medium).JPGemerald brilliant (19) (Medium).JPGhawker brown (2) (Medium).JPGdemoiselle banded (10) (Medium).JPG

another 3 plus a hidden bird shot

Attachments

• spotted flycatcher.JPG
    spotted flycatcher.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 89
  • stonechat.JPG
    stonechat.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 103
  • stonechat2.JPG
    stonechat2.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 90
  • hidden.JPG
    hidden.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 90
I'm not a photographer at all, but would like to take record shots whilst birding.

I've read this Thread with interest as I know of a second-hand SX40 for sale near me and have been tempted to get it. However, as this camera is over 2 years old, are there better choices for me?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not a photographer at all, but would like to take record shots whilst birding.

I've read this Thread with interest as I know of a second-hand SX40 for sale near me and have been tempted to get it. However, as this camera is over 2 years old, are there better choices for me?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

The SX50 is a better camera (more reach,raw and better video)and you should be able to get a good price on it as the SX60 is about to be released.
Neil.

forget the SX40, and the SX50 . . . get the SX60! it'll be out in the shops in a few weeks. It will be better than both. (and i am an SX50 user that will be buying one also)

The SX50 is a better camera (more reach,raw and better video)and you should be able to get a good price on it as the SX60 is about to be released.
Neil.

Thanks for the advice; I was able to try the SX40 today and was generally pleased, particularly with the reach capabilities. Didn't experiment much, just used it on Auto settings. But,the biggest problem I found was the Viewfinder making it difficult to 'get on' the bird.
Has the SX50 got a better viewfinder?

Thanks for the advice; I was able to try the SX40 today and was generally pleased, particularly with the reach capabilities. Didn't experiment much, just used it on Auto settings. But,the biggest problem I found was the Viewfinder making it difficult to 'get on' the bird.

No it has not and the SX60 is crap as well.

I reckon you could pick up a SX50 for £150 or less now on ebay.

Myself personally I have had a SX30 SX40 and I now use my daughters SX50. But I still think they are horrid plastic cameras when compared to even entry level DSLR cameras. BUT they are easy to carry around with your scope and bins and brill for id. :t:

If you have good light you can get half decent photos as well

Attachments

• stonechat.jpg
    stonechat.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

I find the use of the button on sx40 that when fully zoomed you press and hold and it zooms out to enable you to pick up the bird, release it and it goes back to the zoom you set.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back