• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Response to Request For First Impressions: UV HD Plus 8X42 (1 Viewer)

dwever

Thanks for the request, I'm going to go for an absolutely subjective review. Fed Ex showed up just after lunch and I spent the whole afternoon until dark with the Leica's in a field and in the woods with Moses (second picture).

The images from this glass witnesses crisp contrast, smoothness, sharpness, warmth, and dynamic range in just about everything the binocular views. There is this distinct presence, a heaviness. Once I get the minor focusing issue resolved or ignore it, I am set!

If these binoculars were people, they'd be artists with advanced engineering degrees who always choose the beauty of the image before the duty of impressing instruments, but you feel like they could do both. This could be my last glass!

Pro
1. The 'sparkle' we hear about in daylight is for real. Really stunning image. They truly 'pop' if that's not too overused. Speaking of overused, I read the word 'immersive' in reviews, particularly with the Zeiss SF's, but that wouldn't be descriptive of these, I never felt 'immersed.' I felt more like I was in a fine arts gallery viewing an ever changing but ever stunning painting.
2. The detail of what can be seen is impressive.
3. The last pair of alphas I used were Swaro EL's, so when I panned with the Leicas I immediately noticed the lack of RB. They pan very nicely as I was in a large field panning the woods line for game repeatedly.
4. Very revealing of what's in the shadows, reaches right in to deeply shadowed woods.
5. Warmer and more natural colors than my Zeiss.
6. Ergonomically very pleasing. I was a little worried they might seem too small since my glove size is XL to XXL - no worries.
7. Love the industrial design and feel of quality.
8. Love the diminutive build for an 8X42.
9. And this is huge - they were worth the $1,900 and would be worth the $2,400 had I paid full tilt!

Quibbles
1. You drive a surprisingly long distance to focus these down. You get used to it.
2. Need one more click than available to get the eyecups far enough out without glasses. I MUCH prefer the mechanism on my Ultravid 10X20's - you just pop them up and pop them back down, no fuss.
3. Stinking play in the focuser robbed me of the ever-so-rare revelational complete experience.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Moses 3.jpg
    Moses 3.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
DW,

Your subjective observations are close to the experience I had with the 10x42 UVHD+! Certainly is an excellent optical instrument that has great color, resolution and detail in every way! I'm sure the 8x42 has the extra light gathering and ease of eye placement over what I glassed with. At that time, I'd have picked the new UV over the wonderful HT's. Congrats and Enjoy The View!

BTW, what a handsome and healthy GS...Great Pic! :t:

Ted

Thanks for sharing. Once you get the focus issue sorted you'll be set
for good. i too feel that I'll have my UV for a long time and may never
let it go. It really is special.
Moses is such a handsome gent...just don't leave your bino out and
in reach of him. He may view it as a chew toy ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back