• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

? screw-in lens shade/hood for mm3 60ED (1 Viewer)

dukiebluedoc

I just got an Opticron mm3 60 ED scope, which does not have a lens hood, but does have filter threads on the front objective.
Has anyone found a screw-in lens hood which will fit this scope.
I'm in the US (AZ) if that matters.
thanks
Caroline
PS this is a VERY helpful forum:t:

Caroline,

If you go to a camera store it will most likely stock a range of screw in camera filters and I suspect the staff will let you try them to find the correct size of thread. It may stock a lens hood in the same fitting so your solution may be one stop; otherwise go to the internet.

Of course, if you are miles from any where in the desert or down a canyon <g>, phone Opticron USA or email Opticron UK for the size of filter thread you need.

I have the same scope, and have never found glare on the objective lens a problem. I notice that in some of the more authoritative reviews for the MM3 that lack of a sun shield was highlighted, however, it would appear that Opticron don't see this as a problem, as it does not look like a shade has been added to the MM4.

If you determine you do need a shade, you could try a gun shop. I know that there are fit all 50mm shades for scopes on rifles. Not sure if they'll have one for a 60mm though. I'm guessing you might be closer to a rifle shop than an Opticron outlet, so may be worth a try.:t:

Lastly, I think that if I found that I needed a sun shade on the odd occasion for the scope, I'd be reaching for black plastic sheeting and some plastic tie wraps (cable ties). Now of course I'm going to have to experiment and see what can be done.

Thanks for all replies.
Looks like I would have to use step up or step down adapters for the Nikon lens hoods.
As I understand it, there are only a couple of brick and mortar camera stores in the Phoenix Arizona area--I may try them at one point.
I'm about to leave for a birding trip to Southern AZ so I will see how the scope performs without a hood.
Once again I appreciate this forum very much.
Caroline

Thanks for all replies.
Looks like I would have to use step up or step down adapters for the Nikon lens hoods.
As I understand it, there are only a couple of brick and mortar camera stores in the Phoenix Arizona area--I may try them at one point.
I'm about to leave for a birding trip to Southern AZ so I will see how the scope performs without a hood.
Once again I appreciate this forum very much.
Caroline

Hope that Arizona is a big success. If you have the chance to go to Portal, hummers and owls there are really splendid.

The hood comes in various sizes, but I could nor find the thread size for your Opticron even on their web site. They offer slip on objective lens covers, but not the thread size.
They should, because people who use their scope for sea watching often use a plain filter to protect the objective lens from blown grit and salt spray.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back