• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When it comes to nondescript black birds...? (Southeastern USA / South Carolina) (1 Viewer)

ffync

Hello all. I know of some southeastern USA-based birders, and as a novice I am afraid my skills are not up to par for the identification of different black birds.

Where I live and primarily record my findings, the trees are simply littered with black birds. The groups appear to be mixed-species, as among some grackles (which I will get into soon) I did see some red-winged blackbirds. I concluded then that the birds are comfortable with mingling with similar species.

As I got to know more and more about the various black birds, I became concerned I was not confident enough to report these birds accurately!

In my area, there is a distinct possibility to spot common grackles, red-winged blackbirds, and I do believe Brewer's blackbirds as well. A bit more eastern to me is the constrained range of boat-tailed grackles. Great-tailed grackles are not present here if I am reading these maps correctly.

When it comes to grackles, it's not unlikely that boat-tailed grackles are present, I think just not as likely as common grackles. So, I did assume I was seeing them. However, the tail-to-body ratio seems more like a boat-tailed grackle (it is nearly as long as the body) and there are smaller birds with similarly long, rounded tails. They appear less-commonly. I have trouble rationalizing seeing birds known for a very limited range that ends just to my right more commonly than a much more widespread species. These groups sound like a majority of common grackles and Brewer's blackbirds singing and calling.

Brewer's tend to also look rounder in photos where they perch. Their tails are also somewhat shorter, as with the smaller birds, but are rounded. I am not sure that I'm misjudging Brewer's for common grackles, or common grackles for boat-tailed grackles. I like to play safely, I am a very conservative counter.

As for size, they are not much bigger than the red-winged blackbirds. They are slightly larger. The birds with the longest tails are iridescent, all appearing to be males. This is a definitive common grackle trait, and I know that Brewer's are also iridescent. The beaks on most birds are regular for grackles of both species.

Sorry for this long rambling! I just want to know some ways to make these distinctions.

So, I am curious if the matter of nondescript black birds is something that comes with increased familiarity and watching or there are ways to be absolutely sure.

When it come to what is most often seen, I think the best option today is ebird.org. Go to this page, https://ebird.org/explore - then select bar charts, and on the next page select first your state and then your county.

The other thing that you need to look at is the bills of these species. That is a feature often overlooked by a beginning birder.

Others will probably come with additional pointers.

Niels

All these black birds can be very confusing. There is probably an Audubon Society chapter or bird club in your area that has bird walks; I would suggest you look up the local organization and take some walks with them. A little in the field help can make these identifications much easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back