• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

The £1790 for the 5D2 is from a trader on Amazon marketplace with just 11 feedbacks, and the item itself is an unwanted gift that was bought in July. If I'm reading the feedback correctly none of it was left in the last 12 months.

According to CameraPriceBuster, the next best price is £1899, but only if you pay by cash or bank transfer. Their "real" price is £2110.

The lowest bona fide, no strings price appears to be £1925 from Amazon.

Facts are all well and good but how about presenting some pertinent ones?

FACT : Digital Rev can supply a 7D, taxes paid, for £1465 including delivery. Why can't UK suppliers manage that?

I was expecting one of the anti UK brigade to examine my figures to the umpteenth degree and come up with a few little gems and you have not let me down Tim. I never bothered to go past the Camera buster price headline figures as I was just trying to prove a point that the UK camera prices are not that far off of the US prices once the dust has settle and cameras start to ship.

If you care to read my earlier post I agreed that the UK always go in with a ridiculously high price for pre-orders (around parity with the dollar) but within a short time after they start to ship the price starts to stabilise to nearer the exchange rate, to this end I think I have proved my point.
Even if we took your (incorrect) bona fide price of £1925 for the 5D2 it is still not near to the £ to $ parity that we see with the pre-orders.

Your comments on Digital Rev obviously show that you never even bothered to read my earlier post (see post #38).

Anyone who pre-orders in the UK will pay a massive premium and I would humbly suggest that they wait until three of four weeks after general release and purchase then instead of winging about rip-off UK (or Germany or France or Spain or Sweden or Denmark or ....................................)

Roy, I'm not trying to pick an argument. You were comparing prices for secondhand goods in the UK with new ones in the US - I simply pointed out the error.

I did not read your post #38 because I got here via a direct link to your post #74 from another forum and I took what I saw in that post at face value.

I am not anti Britain. I am anti rip-off. I know full well the stupid pricing that the UK suppliers try on in the early days, I just ignore them. They will not be getting my money. Further down the line, if they are prepared to trade at a sensible price then I'm happy to put my business their way. Three of my DSLRs were bought from Jessops (30D, 40D, 1D3) and only the 50D came from Digital Rev. My most recent lens purchases (four lenses, including two "L"s) were from Warehouse Express, and I've recently put in order for another £200 of stuff their way. Morrisphoto also get a fair slice of my business too. It's all down to who offers the best deal (which may or may not equate to the best "price".) My money goes to traders worthy of my business, not those taking the pi55.

Last edited:
Actually you're right Roy, on checking some of those prices it seems as if the UK isn't quite as expensive as I thought.

Before the currency crisis when the Pound was very high against the Yen the differences in prices between the UK and Japan was huge and the UK seemed absurdly expensive. Now prices are closer though still cheaper in Japan.

The Pound has lost about 40% of its value against the Yen in the last year and Japanese prices have remained constant (Japan doesn't really do inflation). I know Canon raised prices in the UK but I don't think it was by 40%.......

Early adopters pay high prices here too. I'll wait until the end of October.

Back to the 7D. I want one. It looks like a great camera.

Last edited:
Actually you're right Roy, on checking some of those prices it seems as if the UK isn't quite as expensive as I thought.

Before the currency crisis when the Pound was very high against the Yen the differences in prices between the UK and Japan was huge and the UK seemed absurdly expensive. Now prices are closer though still cheaper in Japan.

The Pound has lost about 40% of its value against the Yen in the last year and Japanese prices have remained constant (Japan doesn't really do inflation). I know Canon raised prices in the UK but I don't think it was by 40%.......

Back to the 7D. I want one. It looks like a great camera.
Yep. the strength of the Yen against all major currency has pushed prices up all over the world this year inc the states (the US dollar is also very weak against the yen at the moment, you have to go back to 1995 when there were less than 100 Yen to the USD).
I am not trying to say that the UK is cheap compared with the US (or Japan) but it is not so bad as a lot of people would have you think.
Goods in general will always be cheaper in a huge market like the states than they ever will be in little old UK, that's life and it will never change.

Last edited:
Yes but :
1. You would have to register for VAT. After that you suffer from constant bureaucracy.

2. You have to _charge_ VAT on all your sales, making you 15% (soon to be 17.5%) dearer than un-registered competitors. Remember - all that VAT goes back to HMRC, not in your pocket.

VAT registration is compulsory if your turnover is over a threshold, 68k.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm

Most operations with lower turnover are better off not registering. That means they cannot reclaim the VAT on what they buy, but don't have to charge it. If selling only to VAT registered customers (who can reclaim the VAT you charge), it may be different, but you'd need to be sure ! De-registration is not easy.

Mike.

Aah very interesting. Thanks for that Mike. :t:

Anyway guys, back to the Camera itself - its seems to be creating a massive amount interest among Wildlife and in particular bird photographers around the world. The number one talking point being the new AF system of course. If the Servo tracking performance delivers and the high ISO noise is Ok then I am sure the Camera will sell in very big numbers. Time will tell.

I have seen a couple of very early reviews but they are inconclusive, anyone seen any good reviews today?

Last edited:
Cheers Rob. Next question, be honest now everyone, who on here is going to have the bottle to order one? ;)

Cheers Rob. Next question, be honest now everyone, who on here is going to have the bottle to order one? ;)

Honestly if I had the money for it now I would probably either burn or save it for glass (glass first for me) but if given the option of the camera only I would go for it.
The 50D didn't impress me, I just felt that it was a boost to MP and nothing much else over the 40D (ok some nice things like micro focusing where in there) but overall it just didn't wow me and I get the feeling that a 40D would have made me just as happy.
The 7D though contains far more that I feel I would like to have in a camera - and this includes its video mode as well (or liveview recording mode as I like to call it, since that is what it is). Add to that things like the 100% viewfinder, improved weathersealing, high FPS and and AF upgrade and its all things that I would be using over and over again in my avergae shooting.

The only thing (for me) that is keeping the brakes on a bit with the 7D is the ISO and fine details quality that the camera can do. For this though I'm going to reserve judgement till I see the cameras results in the hand of good photographers for a while - Canon it seems don't put out that high a range of quality of shots (the mantis shot is getting hacked apart in some macro forums ;)) so I want to see what it can do in the hands of "pros" and hear their thoughts on the ISO and details capture.

I've been speaking with Adrian Dancy and he'd found some full size images somewhere on the web taken with the 7D and in his words they were stunning and awesome even at high ISO's. If he can get back online (computer trouble) and re-find the site I'm sure he'll give us the link.

i am very tempted, indeed i want this camera but having gone through the mk3 games im just holding back at the moment.
Rob.

I've been speaking with Adrian Dancy and he'd found some full size images somewhere on the web taken with the 7D and in his words they were stunning and awesome even at high ISO's. If he can get back online (computer trouble) and re-find the site I'm sure he'll give us the link.

Oh dear! 'Stunning' and 'Awesome' - I suppose this means it does the job of taking sharp photos quite well!

I'll be waiting for...
  • Reports on how well AF works - especially the new 'zone mode'
  • Support in Lightroom
  • Price to drop

Using the centre zone looks like it might be quite useful for BiF shots.

Next question, be honest now everyone, who on here is going to have the bottle to order one? ;)

Count me in, I'm buying one. After the initial price comes down a bit of course and after the first reviews/users reports...............just to make sure there isn't something horrendously wrong with it that no-one has noticed yet.........

Last edited:
I have been trying to work out which AF mode would be best for BIF:
AF Point expansion or Zone AF. From what Canon say the new Zone AF is the one. It will be interesting to see how it works from a good bird photographer.

I have been trying to work out which AF mode would be best for BIF:
AF Point expansion or Zone AF. From what Canon say the new Zone AF is the one. It will be interesting to see how it works from a good bird photographer.

Agree. I've been trying to take BIF shots with my 40D recently and I'm finding that unless the bird is big and slow (eg. large raptor, large gull, Gannet) then AF is just useless and I have to revert to manual focusing. I can track birds OK - sometimes - I just can't keep focus lock.

Thing is, due to the nature of the subject, I'm just not convinced at the moment that a 7D (or 1 series for that matter) is going to be a huge improvement. I just think birds like ducks, waders, auks or (God help us) swifts and hirundines are just too quick and too small. But I've never used a 1 series (or obviously a 7D) so I'd be interested in the opinions of those who've used both.

Feel free to disagree. I'm sure some of you will!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back