• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks Rob. Further to our PM discussion, I'll do some more research and change the article, using the NTS car park as the base.

The original article covered what was an RSPB reserve.

D

There hasn't been an RSPB reserve at Killiecrankie for some years now. The lease ran out and wasn't renewed or similar.

Gordon

There hasn't been an RSPB reserve at Killiecrankie for some years now. The lease ran out and wasn't renewed or similar.

Gordon

LOL yes I know Gordon. It caused a bit of confusion in a quiz once.:-O There appears to be a track going up onto the hillside still.

That Opus article was transferred from the original BF Database and all the articles are still being worked on adding map and web links, pictures etc. It's a big job!

I've made a start on changing this article and am waiting for the Ranger to get back to me with a full species list for Killiecrankie.

D

I feel the opus page for Killiecrankie needs to be changed. NTS site is where to go.
I saw several wood warblers and a pied flycatcher there a week ago.

Rob

Me too! Was there just last week. If I remember I'll post a list of what I saw on my travels, stayed up in Foyers on Loch Ness one week and in Kenmore on Loch Tay the second.

Oh and yes Delia it was Drummond Hill, Black Rock viewpoint. Wood's, Willows and Chiff's on the way up too.

BTW here you go Marcus.

Attachments

• RBMerganser_BF001.jpg
    RBMerganser_BF001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Plenty bird life in the valleys at the moment, but winter has returned to the high tops this week. This was Lochnagar today, when I was doing some of my tetrads for the BTO survey. Cuckoo, Black and Red Grouse, Common Sandpipers, Wheatears and loads of common stuff.

Attachments

• KICX3920_edited-1.jpg
    KICX3920_edited-1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 67
I'm visiting Scotland over the next two weeks with my wife, who is wheelchair bound. We are spending 3 nights on Skye, 2 around Inverness, 3 at Laid on Gruinard Bay and 3 around Aberdeen.

Could anyone on here please recommend any good, accessible birding sites for us? We carry a field scope as well as binoculars. I've printed off all the RSPB site info, but sometimes their idea of accessible doesn't match that of wheelchair users!

I'm visiting Scotland over the next two weeks with my wife, who is wheelchair bound. We are spending 3 nights on Skye, 2 around Inverness, 3 at Laid on Gruinard Bay and 3 around Aberdeen.

Could anyone on here please recommend any good, accessible birding sites for us? We carry a field scope as well as binoculars. I've printed off all the RSPB site info, but sometimes their idea of accessible doesn't match that of wheelchair users!

Hi Alan,

Much birding can be done from the roadside and you won't have any trouble at all finding good spots.

Near Inverness

Chanonry point on the Black Isle is good for passing seabirds as well as bottle nosed dolphins and can be watched from the car park - get there early though as it is popular. Also Cromarty and the hide at Udale bay can be easily viewed.

Findhorn Valley for raptors - watch from the car park at Coignafearn - also ring ouzel there with dipper etc along the valley

Lochindorb N of Grantown for black-throated diver, osprey, merlin, grouse etc

Gruinard Bay

Scan for sea eagles from lay-by on SE side of bay. Also great skua, tystie, divers etc. Hide at Inverewe Gardens for waders etc. Beinn Eighe visitor centre has some all ability trails for woodland birds.

Skye

Eagles anywhere. Car park at Kilt rocks for seabirds. Coast round Dunvegan Castle is good as is drive down Glen Brittle. Calmac run a great day trip over to the western isles with three ferry crossings and two coach trips. Excellent seawatching from the decks of the ferry. Talk to them at their Uig office about disabled access

Aberdeen

The Ythan estuary can be viewed from several car parks, also a hide at Waulkmill easily accessed from car park. Kinnaird Head in Fraserburgh (if you can find it - near the lighthouse museum) is good for seawatching. The paths at Loch of Strathbeg rspb are being upgraded but you should be able to view from the visitor centre.

At the risk of blatant self publicity, my book - The best birdwatching sites in the Scottish Highlands published by Buckingham Press details plenty of tours round the Highlands, with most sites viewable direct from the road.

Bo Beolens from the Fat Birder website, who also runs the Disabled Birders Association wrote in his review 'I like the way he presents the guide as a series of drives through the highlands - not least as this is the way that disabled birders will see the countryside and birds as many of the sites have topography which is too steep to allow ingress by wheelchair or those who, like me, are 'hard of walking'. He does not neglect this aspect of access
and, where there is such access he records it.'

Hope that helps and have a good trip

Gordon

At the risk of blatant self publicity, my book - The best birdwatching sites in the Scottish Highlands published by Buckingham Press details plenty of tours round the Highlands, with most sites viewable direct from the road.

Hope that helps and have a good trip

Gordon

Thanks Gordon - that is very helpful.

I will buy your book - at least I would if I could find anyone on line with stock. Amazon and W H Smiths don't have any, so can you suggest anywhere else that is likely to deliver to Leeds before next Wednesday, or anywhere I could pick one up. My first night is in Dunfermline, driving to Portree the next day.

EDIT

Birdguides have one in stock, and it should arrive before I leave for the Highlands.

Last edited:

I will buy your book - at least I would if I could find anyone on line with stock. Amazon and W H Smiths don't have any, so can you suggest anywhere else that is likely to deliver to Leeds before next Wednesday, or anywhere I could pick one up. My first night is in Dunfermline, driving to Portree the next day.

PM sent

Gordon

alan you will love this book. i bought mine last year for a trip to skye,cairngorms, north west and east coasts and found it to be a god send!!
we are off to nethy brige and gairloch for the next two weeks leaving tomorrow and the BOOK was the first thing packed in the car

Hi all,

Will very likely be heading up to Speyside in search of Capercallie, Ptarmigan and Crested Tit next weekend. I am not sure if I'll be able to make it on the 21st just yet when the caperwatches end, and If I'm unable to then of course that will lessen my chances. I am aware it is a matter of luck of seeing them, but for those that have visited Loch Garten or visit fairly regularly, have you seen them in any particular part of the reserve/forest? Also, how much of a chance would I have of Ptarmigan on the Cairngorms?

Cheers if anyone can help,

Joseph

Male Caper show regularly from the Osprey hide during the day for much of the summer usually. Without doubt your best chance, as the moulting males just mope around sulking in cover till autumn. If you find a hen, then you have probably disturbed her and her chicks so best not to go looking.

Hi all,

Will very likely be heading up to Speyside in search of Capercallie, Ptarmigan and Crested Tit next weekend. I am not sure if I'll be able to make it on the 21st just yet when the caperwatches end, and If I'm unable to then of course that will lessen my chances. I am aware it is a matter of luck of seeing them, but for those that have visited Loch Garten or visit fairly regularly, have you seen them in any particular part of the reserve/forest? Also, how much of a chance would I have of Ptarmigan on the Cairngorms?

Cheers if anyone can help,

Joseph

Thanks for the information jpoyner. I am gonna be able to make it for the 21st now and thus in time for the last Caperwatch of the year. Ptarmigan I presume would be anywhere on the tops? Also, may I ask what my chances of Golden Eagle, Ring Ouzel, Scottish Crossbill and Goshawk in the Speyside area, and where would I have the best chance of seeing these?

If you do happen to know any good sights for the latter four birds that would be much appreciated. ;)

Last edited:
For Golden Eagles and Ring Ouzel make a trip up Findhorn Valley, there's a car park at the end before it becomes private land but you can still walk on it just can't go any further in the car. Not too far a drive from Speyside anyway.

For Golden Eagles and Ring Ouzel make a trip up Findhorn Valley, there's a car park at the end before it becomes private land but you can still walk on it just can't go any further in the car. Not too far a drive from Speyside anyway.

For ring ouzel try the scree slopes just before the car park at the end of the Findhorn valley. Also the layby on A9, think its nos 151, will confirm tonight if no one else can.

Phil

EDIT

Birdguides have one in stock, and it should arrive before I leave for the Highlands.

Buckingham Press delivered my copy of your book this morning - Birdguides obviously pass the order direct to the source. It looks superb, and I'm sure it will get lots of field testing over the next two weeks. Highly recommended! ;)

Thank you for the information Jaff and Hampers, it may well prove very useful for my upcoming trip. I will await on your confirmation on the layby on the A9, hampers.

Thank you,

Joseph

Any visitor new to northern Scotland will find that using Gordon's book saves a lot of aimless wandering around wondering where the birds are.

I have just come back from a trip and saw all my target birds (except for Ptarmigan due to poor mountain weather). A trip to the coast also produced wonderful views of dolphins off Burghead.

I'm an American birder who is currently staying near Aviemore, and I have two more days to look for birds in the area (Monday and Tuesday, the 24th and 25th).

The more difficult mountain species are beyond my aspirations, but I would like to see Crested Tit and Scottish Crossbill if possible. I have been around to the various sites listed in three guide books, but I haven't seen these two species. Any suggestions? Where are my best chances?

I understand that Black Grouse and Capercaillie are very difficult, but how about Red Grouse? Where can I look for them in the Speyside/Cairngorm area? I understand they are on "the moors", but as a visitor, I need more specific directions than that.

Is there somewhere I can look for Golden Plover without doing any hill climbing?

Are there any Goosander or divers around on any of the lochs or rivers? I looked on Loch Morlich, but only saw Goldeneye and Mallards. Any grebes around here at this time?

I would also like to see Whinchat, Redpoll, Spotted Flycatcher, or Grasshopper
Warbler, if anyone has good sites for any of them.

I will look for replies here, or you could send me a PM or an email at birder1944 'AT' aol.com[ .

Thanks very much. Sorry for the short notice, but I didn't realize it was going to be so difficult to see the Crested Tit and Scottish Crossbill. I think it didn't help yesterday that it was Sunday and there were a lot of people around. Any suggestions about where to look would be appreciated.

Barry Brugman
USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back