• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Cooks book now available (1 Viewer)

Damn and blast! I would have had my copy of Bills book yesterday but we had four inches of snow. Its funny that here in coastal North Carolina four inches shuts down the eastern part of the sate for two days and the governor declares a state of emergency. Back in Indiana four inches ment you left for work five or ten minutes early.
Steve

Damn and blast! I would have had my copy of Bills book yesterday but we had four inches of snow. Its funny that here in coastal North Carolina four inches shuts down the eastern part of the sate for two days and the governor declares a state of emergency. Back in Indiana four inches ment you left for work five or ten minutes early.
Steve

Yep. ;) I had a cousin that moved to Montana years ago and laughed about this. Out there snow was expected and almost irrelevant to work/school/mail, etc. As you say here it SHUTS DOWN the world. Did you get your milk and bread? o:)

waiting on the high grade hard cover....autographed of course....

Several have been autographed, already. And remember, with that and a buck you can buy a Coke.

Hard Cover? ‘Ain’t happnin’. My original m/s is in color in both InDesign AND the PDF I sent to the printer. But, my printer wouldn’t print a few color pages. The book had to be ALL b/w OR ALL color—that’s “colour” for my Brit friends. Color would have been too costly for the potential reader and me. And hard cover? even more so.

High Quality? Hey, it’s me; I did the best I could. Now the sucker is off my plate, I’m going back through—at my leisure, this time—with my “superfluous comma comb” that the next edition might be a little better. Even so, there are things in there that haven’t been in print before. And at 38 pages, the vignette on collimation is the largest ever produced for the consumer and the ONLY one ever to explain conditional alignment.

The down side is that I feel no need to be sheepish about exposing the truth without sugar coatings. That, of course, sometimes gets me into trouble with those who can’t take the truth ... straight up. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
David
Since its only my wife and I a loaf of bread lasts about a week and milk the same. Since I'm the the kind that if I see something that I know I'm going to use on sale I stock up. There's always about ten days worth of food, coffee, beer, wine and booze. I grew up on a farm about ten miles from the closest town so you went to the grocery about once a week. Went past the local ABC store yesterday about two o'clock and the ten parking places n front and the fifteen on the side were full with people walking from the grocery store lot to get booze. Long lines in front of the Netflics kiosks too.
Steve

Several have been autographed, already. And remember, with that and a buck you can buy a Coke.

Hard Cover? ‘Ain’t happnin’. My original m/s is in color in both InDesign AND the PDF I sent to the printer. But, my printer wouldn’t print a few color pages. The book had to be ALL b/w OR ALL color—that’s “colour” for my Brit friends. Color would have been too costly for the potential reader and me. And hard cover? even more so.

High Quality? Hey, it’s me; I did the best I could. Now the sucker is off my plate, I’m going back through—at my leisure, this time—with my “superfluous comma comb” that the next edition might be a little better. Even so, there are things in there that haven’t been in print before. And at 38 pages, the vignette on collimation is the largest ever produced for the consumer and the ONLY one ever to explain conditional alignment.

The down side is that I feel no need to be sheepish about exposing the truth without sugar coatings. That, of course, sometimes gets me into trouble with those who can’t take the truth ... straight up. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Bill:

I'm with you, your book is filled with lots of wisdom, and I like your
writing style. If some folks don't like that, too bad for them.

Jerry

Attachments

• The truth.png
    The truth.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 36
well I broke down...ordered 2 of the floppy cover editions....one to level my reloading bench and one to be donated to the local library....

I'm out of luck on getting the book till Tuesday. They are required to put packages too big for the box bu the front door and so Tuesdays thaw will leave a clear walk to the front. I am getting a little impatient because in addition to WWJC's fount of wisdom I have three other books coming in the same shipment.
Steve

well I broke down...ordered 2 of the floppy cover editions....one to level my reloading bench and one to be donated to the local library....

If the thickness of Bill's great book is necessary to level your reloading bench, that to me, means you have a somewhat "modified" powder measure.

Bill's writing style will put a smile on any scrooge's face out there.;) Thanks Bill and as far as that "vignette on collimation" - that chapter just reinforced my idea that if my binocular doesn't seem right to my eyes, I'll send it off to someone possessing the knowledge to correct the "perceived" problem.

Steve

There is actually a reason for this in most cases. Just like when my Northern friends make fun of my Southern friends for getting the day off when it's icy, etc.

The simple fact is there are parts of the country where states and counties are prepared for de-icing and clearing roads, and where drivers are experienced at handling those conditions, and then there are some areas that are not.

If one county in Minnesota has 3 salt trucks and 10 snowplows, and another county in Oklahoma has 1, don't make fun of the Okies for needing more time to respond.

Likewise, when the people in Minnesota are stroking out at "extreme" 87-degree summertime temps, the Okies should show some restraint as well. ;)

Bill
Your book must be selling pretty well. I was originally supposed to get mine Jan.3rd,4th or 5th but I got an email this morning saying it wouldn't get here till some time next week maybe as late as Friday the 19th. Do you think I should cancel and order the second edition?
Steve

Bill
Your book must be selling pretty well. I was originally supposed to get mine Jan.3rd,4th or 5th but I got an email this morning saying it wouldn't get here till some time next week maybe as late as Friday the 19th. Do you think I should cancel and order the second edition?
Steve

Second edition?

Bill
Steve

Hi, Steve:

If you can hold your breath that long you should consider being a navy diver or an astronaut.

It IS selling well ... to the audience for which it was intended. But, a little four-eyed kid I shared grade school with can re-write something out of the phone book and it will undoubtedly be on the NY Best Seller List within hours and a guy who was in my graduating class at college is now a philanthropist and the president of Hillsdale College.

Me? ... Well, I hope this edition will keep me in burgers for a while. I find there is no correlation between IQ and smarts! One looks good on paper. But, the other is helpful in paying the bills. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill can I talk you into emailing me a paragraph a day? I might get read that way before my copy shows up. I ordered four books at the same time all shipped by Amazon with free postage and now they they are all shipping separately. Go figure
Steve

Bill can I talk you into emailing me a paragraph a day? I might get read that way before my copy shows up. I ordered four books at the same time all shipped by Amazon with free postage and now they they are all shipping separately. Go figure
Steve

I ordered 50 to sell around here. 48 came in one box; 2 came in another ... on the same day! But as long as I don't have to contact anyone, I can spare myself of trying to EXPLAIN what certain English words and idioms mean.:cat:

Bill

still waiting on the ones I ordered from Amazon .....they have a huge warehouse about 30 miles away....but they shipped these from California.... I think via stage coach...will let you know if I think Stephen King has anything to worry about....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back