• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In and around South Staffordshire. (1 Viewer)

A visit to Baggeridge Country Park and Himley Hall today. A bitterly cold day, but once you get walking it becomes bearable and at least it wasn't raining (or snowing).

Highlight (and it's always nice when you have one of those on a session) was a tawny owl roosting in an ivy covered tree. I have seen the bird before though and it does tend to be in the same place, although sometimes it is not visible so I guess it's still nice to spot it. Got a good view with the bird facing me. I could even make out its face and eyes as it rested on the branch.

Quite a few song thrush and mistle thrush around, which is encouraging. The latter were in pairs or single birds, but with the former I spotted two separate groups of 4 and 6 birds respectively.

The Great Pool at Himley was disappointing, you'd expect something beyond the usual moorhen, coot, canada goose etc species. Two separate pairs of great crested grebe displaying to each other which was nice to watch.

On the field by the lake, counted 64 mallard feeding on the grass along with several coot, 7 mute swan and a pair of canada goose.

Pair of bullfinch in the hedgerow alongside the Island Pool. Watched them for quite some time as they munched away on the buds of the bushes. Right alongside them in the next bush was a pair of goldfinch.

People put seed on top of stumps all around the park and in between the various nuthatch, blue tit and great tit visitations I watched a rat as it gobbled up the food. Very bold indeed, almost oblivious to my presence. Imagine what they are like at night. As a keen angler who fished through the hours of darkness I have tales that will literally make your flesh crawl.

4 hours - 36 species
Total for the year - 71

I saw Tawny Owl on Friday,and Willow tit on the stump.Did you see theShoveler,It is still on the Bagpool. I havn't seen Lesser spotted woodpecker yet.

Last edited:
Hello John, I didn't cover the end of the park by the Bagpool so don't know if it is still there.

Funnily enough I caught an extremely brief glance of a bird that I thought was a willow tit at the Whites Wood / Lydiates intersection. But as it was literally a flash I didn't count it, but it probably was.

Visited Himley Plantation again this morning for a short session. Still hoping to spot a lesser spotted woodpecker but no joy yet this year. Will do soon though, of that I have no doubt.

Did see a pair of great spotted woodpecker though, flying out of the wood, plus a male drumming on a trunk within the wood itself.

Only bird of prey seen was a pair of common buzzard, the one bird landed with a small mouse in its claws, but as soon as it spotted me it was off again. The other bird was still circling at that time so never landed.

Small group of redwing still in the wood c.6 birds. They are very wary though and definitely keep their distance. A pair of fieldfare feeding in a field alongside the wood.

A very scruffy looking mistle thrush perched high up on an ivy covered tree in the wood. A pair of song thrush feeding in an adjoining field and a single bird in a tree by the car park.

1.5 hours - 20 species
Total for the year - 71

Not a birding session, actually a fishing trip, on the River Stour near Kinver. Didn't even have binoculars with me, but being quiet and still meant that I had some excellent views of a water rail. It was in the area for the whole of the time I was there, so I will return for a proper session. A silent bird.

Also I noticed a very small hole in a tree beyond the river. I thought to myself, 'That looks small enough to be a lesser spotted woodpecker'. Anyway I forgot all about it but right at the end of the day I suddenly caught movement out the corner of my eye. I had a split second view of a spotted woodpecker disappearing in the hole.

Was it a lesser? As I say, it was a split second, but the back pattern indicated so. However, will return and confirm on way or another.

Total for the year - 72

A trip down Red lane, touching Penn Common and then back again over the meadows below Gospel End Village. A nice walk that I do quite often.

No new birds but the highlight was a female sparrowhawk, perched in a tree in the lane which then flew around the field before landing in a distant dense clump of trees so wasn't seen again. First time I've seen sparrowhawk this year down the lane, saw a bird at the end of 2005 though.

Lots of magpie around. Most counted in one sighting was 83. They were all within the area bordered by the two meadows above the water works. Highest total of magpies seen this year.

Wood pigeon, feral pigeon, stock dove and collared dove all seen. The area towards the end of the lane as it joins Penn Common is a good one for stock dove, saw three there, plus a single bird in the meadows below Gospel End Village.

1.75 hours - 22 species
Total for the year - 72

Parked up in a lay-by between the villages of Bobbington and Swindon in South Staffordshire and did a big circle via the various lanes before ending up back at the car. A cold day but dry. Lots of open fields and the odd small wood alongside the lanes, plus a couple of golf courses.

Highlight was a raven, a new bird for the year. Spotted a bird soaring in the distance, thought 'buzzard'. But as with most birds I viewed through the binoculars anyway. As soon as I had it in sight instantly I saw it was a raven. It circled and soared for a while before eventually disappearing out of view.

Saw several common buzzard, although it is perfectly possible that there may have been an overlap of birds. Did see a pair of birds soaring together so definitely 2 at least.

To complete the birds of prey, single sparrowhawk and kestrel ticked. Both birds were in flight, but identified easily enough.

A couple of single green woodpecker, both in flight. Not a good enough view to sex. Both in open ground on grass, then flying off to distant trees.

Several groups of fieldfare. Numbers in groups: 4 / 30 / c.30 / 5. No redwing.

Two separate sightings of yellowhammer. Both landed at tops of medium sized trees before flying off again.

Glad I went out, the raven was a good bird. It just shows - you never spot birds sitting at home by the fireside. The more you get out, the more you increase your chances.

2.25 hours - 24 species
Total for the year - 73

Still lagging behind Stewart in the Quantity stakes,I am dropping points everywhere(just like a certain football team I could mention.) At least my Quality is improving with a Water rail at Baggeridge.

Well done on the Baggeridge water rail John. I tried to see my Stour one the other day but no joy there.

On the way to Molineux yesterday I looked for the big pied wagtail roost in the centre of Wolverhampton but it seems they have now departed.

Second visit of the year to Sandwell Valley RSPB site and another three species added to the total, all ducks.

A total of 36 wigeon on the main lake, often grouped fairly close together and easily viewable from the hide. I only said to my wife the other day that I need to see a wigeon, and now I get to see 36.

Two pairs of gadwall also in the same area. On occasions the birds came quite close and presented excellent views. Well pleased with the opportunity to watch them for a prolonged period of time.

Three very active goldeneye out towards the main body of the lake. Two females and one male, difficult to get extended views as they seemed to spend more time under the water than above it.

Three snipe on the island, not very active and well hidden against the earth background, but as with any bird, once you know it's there, you know where to look.

Single sightings of kestrel and sparrowhawk, no other birds of prey.

Tit species spotted - great tit, blue tit, long tailed tit, coal tit and willow tit, the last two being single sightings.

3 hours - 39 species
Total for the year - 76

Another short afternoon trip on a well worn route - Red Lane / Penn Common / Gospel End in South Staffordshire. Quite cold although the sun was bright at times.

Flock of redwing in the large field off Red Lane that borders the brook. In the process of counting them, got to 136 and then they scattered! Estimated 150 birds though, I was almost there. There were also just 2 fieldare in with them.

Also in the same field and at the same time was a flock of 53 starling.

Often see a common buzzard and sometimes a pair when I do this walk but today saw 7 (all different birds). Six were soaring and circling high in the sky moving in the direction of Baggeridge Country Park. The single bird landed in a tree alongside Penn Common brook.

Female sparrowhawk on the Common itself, flying towards Gospel End. No other birds of prey, often see a kestrel on the walk.

Always black headed gull in the area, c.60 birds. They are never far from the water works but do move around quite a bit, and can often be seen over the neighbouring farms.

Two sightings of single mistle thrush, but no song thrush today.

A pair of stock dove, perched in a tree alongside Penn Common brook. This walk is as good as any for a sighting of the species, usually see a few birds around.

The resident pair of moorhen on the Red Lane pond, along with a resting pair of mallard. Also at least 8 birds in the water works area, limited views prevented perhaps more birds being spotted.

1.75 hours - 26 species
Total for the year - 76

Last edited:
A short afternoon visit to Cotwall End Valley, which is between Sedgley and Gornal. Pleasant enough place but it is is spoilt by the litter and dumping that takes place - sadly a recurring feature of areas such as this that border estates.

Very quiet on the bird front, just 16 species logged. Three finches - chaffinch, goldfinch and greenfinch. None seen in number either, just single birds or pairs.

One bird of prey, a common buzzard, which was spotted perched on a tree right alongside the Stickley housing estate. It was very aware of my presence and fly off, ending up soaring high in the sky over the nearby Straits estate.

A pair of jay in a bush, sort of surprised to see them as it's not exactly a quiet area. But very welcome nevertheless. The colouring of a jay brightens up many a dull and drab day.

Fout tit species seen - blue tit, coal tit, great tit and long tailed tit. The coal and the long tailed tits were pairs, the blue and the great were quite numerous. Lots of great tits calling throughout the valley.

1.5 hours - 16 species.
Total for the year - 76

An afternoon session that took in quite a spread of land from the fields below Gospel End village right through Baggeridge to the outskirts of Wombourne. Very cold day but dry and that's something to be thankful for.

Highlight of the day without any question was grey partridge that I spotted along a hedge quite some distance away. Seeing red legged partridges would be enough to get excited about in the area in question, but to come across grey partridges was a definite thrill. There were two birds that I watched for almost an hour. It was absolutely freezing cold with the wind blowing right into me, but worth it. The birds weren't in the best of position to get a good sighting but towards the end of the hour they cane out into the open and were very visible. They then flew off about 100 metres away and it was then that I realised that a third bird had been with them, but it had been hidden during the time I watched.

Several sightings of common buzzard, most together was three, all circling quite low over a conifer plantation at the back end of Baggeridge. This was the only bird of prey seen today.

Counted 8 song thrush feeding in a field close to Gospel End Common, no others seen at all during the day.

One mistle thrush that was in a flock of 30 redwing and 21 fieldfare right by the A449 near Wombourne.

Also in the same field was a group of 22 jackdaw.

4 hours - 26 species
Total for the year - 77

Back out this afternoon on the outskirts of Wombourne on grey partridge watch. I had to wait some time and then I saw a pair of birds appear from a wooded area. Light was better than yesterday so I was able to get a decent view although it is at some distance. Would like to get a bit closer but it's not possible without trampling all over fields which wouldn't be right.

The birds are very wary and don't venture far at all away from cover. When rabbits bolt back as they are prone to do, the partridges immediately run into cover too, only venturing out again some minutes later. Even a low flying common buzzard put them back into the wood for 5 minutes or so.

Also saw other birds (x2), although these were way beyond the original pair and also late on in the day with just a limited view so I wouldn't like to say anything other than they were definitely partridges, but could be red legged. I'll certainly be back anyway, it's all quite exciting.

Several common buzzard seen, most at one time were 3 birds circling over a conifer wood. Birds were calling. Also heard a tawny owl hooting from the wood, but no sighting.

Pair of mistle thrush in a low tree and a female green woodpecker feeding on the trunk of a tree, but not much else as I was out specifically after partridges and only covered a short distance.

3.25 hours - 17 species
Total for the year - 77

Another trip, concentrated on Whites wood today at last yeilded a Lesser spotted Woodpecker on Lydiates.Other birds were Blue.Great,Coal,Longtailed and Willow tit, Great spotted Woodpecker and a few pair of very noisy Jackdaws.On walking back to the car park there were a small mixed party of Redwing,Fieldfare and Starling, 2 Song Thrush and one Mistle Thrush were seen.The only bird of prey I saw today was a Buzzard. On reaching the car park there was asmall flock of Siskin on and around the feeders.Thought today may have been a good day for Chiffchaff, but I did not see or here any. 62 birds at Baggeridge this year so far.

Another trip to the outskirts of Wombourne, specifically after the partridges. Still a cold day but the sun was out (yes, does sound an odd thing to say) and so at times it was very nice, particularly when walking, which always helps to keep the chill away.

Had a very interesting chat with a lady walking dogs from the nearby estate (country that is, not housing). When I realised she was the landowner's wife I asked if they release partridges for shooting, which she said that they do. Mostly red-legged, but a couple of years ago they released greys too.

So that explains the origins of my birds seen over the last few days. I suppose it would have been nice to have discovered a pair of 'wild' birds, but then again it all depends on how you determine 'wild'. As for me, I am just happy to see birds, but if I can know the origins of them it does help to clarify everything in my own mind.

Anyway, onto the actual birding session itself. Did spend some time looking for the partridges. Saw several red legged partridges, they do spread out a little, not in a tight covey as you so often see. Did see a smaller partridge, but it was at such a distance that I couldn't get a proper view. I suspect it was a grey, but as I couldn't be sure, I didn't count it. Saw a total of 8 partridges at one time - 7 red legged and the suspected grey.

Flock of 27 fieldfare, and in amongst them a solitary redwing. It always pays to look at flocks of single species birds as you never know what will be in with them. The same happened with a distant group of wood pigeon. In with the 9 birds was a single stock dove.

3.5 hours - 23 species
Total for the year - 77

A morning session in the Baggeridge area. Very pleasant day and lots of birds singing. Focused on one reasonably small wooded area, so didn't get quantity of species. But thoroughly enjoyed being out, and that's what birding is all about really isn't it?

Highlight was a pair of red legged partridge. At the start of the year I kept seeing bullfinches everywhere. I haven't seen one for a while but now it seems I am on a partridge run. Not that I am complaining of course.

The birds were in a field on the edge of the wooded area. I noticed them as they ran off along a hedge, as I had obviously startled them. Walking along the other side of the hedge a while later, the birds were still there as they again bolted, this time across open fields. Very surprised to see the birds in the area as it's not a shooting estate or anything like that, and with the birds looking like an item I shall be keeping an eye out for them again.

Just the one common buzzard seen today. It flew in very slowly over the wood and then proceeded to soar high in the sky for a while. No more birds of prey. Did hear a distant tawny owl just the once.

2.25 hours
Total for the year - 77

Back to Baggeridge this morning for a couple of hours before going to watch Wolves play. The birding was good, I won't make any comment about the football.

Highlight was a male firecrest. Presumably (you never know for sure) this was the same bird that I saw on January 1. The wood was very busy in January but once everyone had seen it, the number of birders tailed off, along with the reports of the firecrest.

I saw it in almost the same spot too. It was very active, only a quick view, and the dense bushes and active goldcrests meant that I had plenty of red herrings to distract me. I did return to the area a couple of times but no more sightings. I did think I heard it call just briefly in some laurels but couldn't be sure.

Visited a tree where a tawny owl is roosting, the bird was there. Although you know where to go and spot the bird it's still nice to check it out. No other birds of prey seen, although did catch a distant view of something that I'm not sure about. That's the great thing about birding - you never know what will turn up. The flip side is that brief and obscure views can also be frustrating.

Several stock dove in the wood. Saw a couple of birds land in trees that looked like they could be nesting spots, and although I viewed the birds for some time, none entered any holes.

Visited the area where I saw the red legged partridge on my last vist, but nothing around. From my vantage point I only have a fraction of the field area in view though, so it doesn't mean to say they aren't still around, just that I didn't see them.

2 hours - 19 species
Total for the year - 77

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back