• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Servicing (1 Viewer)

kas

Hi there

Although I love birdwatching when it comes to optics I dont have a clue, I just use what the other half buys me.

I have had my Swarovski 8.5x42 for 5 years now, and he says they need a service. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? As in do they need serviced and if so, where to put them for this. They certainly need new eye cups.

Also how long would they be away for, because I use them everyday and could not cope for long without them.

Many Thanks
Kas

kas said:
Hi there

Although I love birdwatching when it comes to optics I dont have a clue, I just use what the other half buys me.

I have had my Swarovski 8.5x42 for 5 years now, and he says they need a service. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? As in do they need serviced and if so, where to put them for this. They certainly need new eye cups.

Also how long would they be away for, because I use them everyday and could not cope for long without them.

Many Thanks
Kas

Send them to Swarovski.

Some people don't know how lucky they are!! I wish my other half would buy me a pair of Swaro's. She took one look at my SLC's, picked them up, felt the weight, stated that they were useless and that I had wasted a large amount of the family earnings! She has since, on more than one occasion, threatened to throw them in the Bin!!!! :eek!:

Paul

P.S. Send them to Swarovski, they are great :clap: to deal with and if you send them elsewhere you might invalidate your warranty.

kas said:
Hi there

Many Thanks
Kas

I should have added (although this may be obvious) I would phone them first to find out what the turn-around time will be (it's possible that they may suggest a date to avoid a long turn-around time) and to find out how they want them shipped, how to pack them and what means of shipping, insurance, etc. When I had my 8.5x42s upgraded, they gave me good information. Which suggests something else. Did you know that the more recent 8.5x42s have a shorter focus. That is about one turn or so less. I did not like the older longer focus, had mine upgraded, and are truly happy now. The cost in US dollars was a little less than $300. You may not want this done and/or object to the price. However, it is possible that the servicing necessary might be included in that price. So why not decide about the focus. Does it bother you when you change focus all the way? Some people do prefer the longer focus. But if you would prefer a short focus, why not ask them approximately how much the service would cost without the focus upgrade and then with it. Finally, I do hope that your pair did have a warranty, that is, that it was purchased from a dealer or someone else that qualifies. I don't know what Swarovski's attitude is to non-warranty equipment. They will ask you for the number of your specific binoculars--it's on the binoculars--they will tell you where to look if you can't find it--and should be able to give you this information.

kas said:
Hi there

Many Thanks
Kas
I took my Swaro scope on one occasion, and an eyepiece on another, back to the dealer in Dublin where I´d bought them. They sent them via Swaro UK to Austria, the turnaround time was supposed to be 4 weeks, in fact it took only 2 weeks, and on both occasions I was charged only a nominal sum that didn´t even cover the postage. I think you´re about to be seriously impressed with Swaro´s after-sales, and I think it´s one of the strongest selling-points that Swaro have, and that curiously, they don´t make a big deal of at point-of-sales. Best of luck.

kas said:
I use them everyday and could not cope for long without them.
If you find out how long they're going to be away, you could time the sending of them so that the shortest day falls in the middle of that period. That way you'll lose the least observing time. It might be a good idea to buy a small, cheap pair for use during that period - unless your other half has a spare pair lying around.

Michael.

Barry

None of my bins are rubbish! :eek!: Oops have to be careful here or I might start another thread on who has the best binoculars(!!) and I don't want to upset anyone who might dispute the fact that my SLCs are the best binoculars ever manufactured both now or in the future!! :t:

Paul

Paul

I just thought that one day your wife may actually 'bin your bins' and as we both know they are not rubbish, I'd like to do my bit for recycling…

Barry

Barry

Sorry, I knew what you meant but I thought someone might bite!!!

Paul

P.S The bin liners we use are so thin that they would fall through, so she will never be able to throw them out!

Paul

all those people out there are so touched by your obvious attachment to the SLC's that they haven't got the heart to disillusion you… are they really that good?

B

Well Paul, - I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. I use 10x52 Minox (downside weight and shallow dof) but they are pretty good value for money and rugged. However if the binocular fairy were to pop down the chimney with a pair of 8.5x42 ELs I wouldn't complain…
B

Barry

I don't think that I would argue with you - Would like the EL 8X32s though.......come to think of it have had a good offer on a pair of Nikon 8X30 EIIs.....lot cheaper as I don't have a fairy godmother.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul
was in USA recently up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for the hawk migration (absolutely fantastic) and I reckon Nikons outnumbered all other mfrs put together - they seem very popular. Before I bought the Minox I was greatly tempted by some 10x42 SECFs ( I think that was the type - porros prism) but I wasn't happy with the narrow focus wheel and they weren't waterproof - essential up here!. I see Ace optics have a pair of 8x30 E11s (secondhand) for £279. I'm not familiar with them so
can't say if that's a good deal or not.

If your fairy godmother doesn't turn up, there's always Father Christmas…

Cheers

B

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back