• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick Chickadees (1 Viewer)

Kovarr

I live in Newfoundland, Canada. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a sick Black Capped Chickadee near our feeders. He was all puffed up, his wings were trembling badly, and you could almost touch him before he would move. We kept an eye on him as much as possible, and about 3 days after that, we found him dead on the ground. Yesterday I have seen a second Black Capped Chickadee starting to show similar symptoms. All puffed up (it's not cold), seeming to be having trouble working the black oil sunflower seeds we have at the feeder. He seems spry, but when I got a good look at him, his right eye seems to be all crusted over. His other eye is bright. Last evening I brought in the feeders and gave them a good cleaning with antibacterial soap and almost scalding hot water. I didn't think Chickadees were susceptible to the eye disease of the finches. Is there anything else I can do for this little guy? We have many birds here ( Juncoes, American Goldfinches, various other finches and sparrows), but we adore our little chickadees who will happily eat from our hands. Any help is appreciated.

:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back