• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Massive fight in Blue Tit box! Any advice? (1 Viewer)

Hi all
We've woken up this morning to what we are sure was a massive fight between our female Blue Tit sitting on nine eggs and an impostor in our camera box. It was dark and hard to see, but I'm sure it was two Blue Tits scrapping and at it so hard that they moved the box to an angle (despite one of our neighbours cats being in the vicinity, I don't think it was her). I've just popped out and very gently straightened it out but, unfortunately the nest is cup is completely disturbed and I can see at least one egg out of the nesting cup, so am guessing the others may also be similarly scattered or buried. What I think was the resident female was also still buried under the nest, I think perhaps trying to recover the nest cup.

It was interesting because last night there was some very strange behaviour; a Blue Tit constantly visiting at the nest hole and I think at least once being chased off by the sitter (originally I thought it was the male but I didn't see come in once with bits of food for her as he had done at all yesterday as he had done on previous days) and while she was away feeding this Blue Tit came in, nosed around and then flew off when she came in again.

So two questions: firstly, are fights like this between Blue Tits common and we've just been unlucky?

Secondly, is there anything I can do to help sort the nest out? Should we try anything? I don't know whether any eggs were broken.

Feeling very disconsolate right now. Strange how attached you get to these little birds (they become your babies). This plucky little lass had seen off a queen bee which was trying to nest in there and this was the first time ever we have had the pleasure witnessing the nesting in our camera box in four years of the camera box being up ...... :-C

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back