• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confusing fall warblers in central Texas, US (1 Viewer)

Fondo

These 4 warblers were all pictured on September 14th in a woodsy area between a large lake and open fields in central Texas. There were a lot of Yellow Warblers, Wilson's warblers and some Orange-Crowned. Apologies for the poor photography and thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 120
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 108
Crikey, not seen many in autumn but a few suggestions without refs:

1. yellow
2.wilson's
3 nashville
3 Warbling vireo

cheers, a

Agree with lewis, but 2 looks like another Yellow. One is tough, but I agree that it is probably one of those dull western Yellow Warblers.

Andy

Agree. Although #3 ( the first #3 ;) ) looks entirely yellow on the underparts I can't think of any other with a yellow vent and that head pattern.

edit :- IMO #2 is Wilson's as the eyering is too sharply defined / thin for Yellow and the bill too short and thin ( but that could be down to the angle )

Last edited:
1 is confusing and looks like a very dull Yellow Warbler. 2 looks like YW to me too. Wilson's should have a proportionately longer tail and an obvious super. YW has basically a bright/pale head with an isolated dark eye.

My thoughts without reading the rest of the comments because I'm lazy.

1. Yellow warbler
2. Yellow warbler
3. Nashville warbler
4. Warbling vireo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back