• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

The Flashes Tuesday 12th July. The standing water from Sunday has for the most part soaked away. However the edges of the central area were very wet and held most of the waders, a loose flock of 20 LRP fed almost entirely in this area. Also an adult ringed plover, dunlin, 14 Green sand, 2 common sand, 3 juv Avocet, 25 curlew, 30 lapwing, 3 Teal and a tufted - rare on this part of the reserve at this time of year.
Reed warbler were still singing in many of the reed beds and were actively foraging throughout my stay. At 8pm a few hundred BHG's had assembled.
The male Redstart was seen along the footpath hedge on the field side of the hedge at about 4pm and again c7.45pm. It has been present for over 3 weeks. Strange if its not breeding, maybe the chicks will appear soon:smoke:
B :)John

In total there were 51 Lapwing present yesterday evening across the reserve. Nice to see the Redstart still hanging around. Hope the Wednesday crew didnt set off to Daventry ...

In total there were 51 Lapwing present yesterday evening across the reserve. Nice to see the Redstart still hanging around. Hope the Wednesday crew didnt set off to Daventry ...

No idea, but I know a few who did ;)

I'm sure they'd know how to separate a Greenshank from a Yellowlegs though. Maybe one for the Flashes in the autumn.......

Brian

One from my Uni lakes in York

Project for Upton?

Back in Birmingham for a bit so hopefully get down to the mecca! Been too long, not been since I saw Whinchat at the end of April!

Attachments

• lrp bf.JPG
    lrp bf.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 73
Curlew or whimbrel?

Hopefully i will have done this correctly and the photos are attached. I hope some kind soul can identify this bird from some distant snatched shots. The pictures were taken from the Water rail hide looking at the far shoreline. The flight shots were snatched after the bird was spooked by grey heron. I have not seen a birds wing with such a large gap in the feathers at the wrist.

Attachments

• IMG_7583.jpg
    IMG_7583.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7584.jpg
    IMG_7584.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7588.jpg
    IMG_7588.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7589.jpg
    IMG_7589.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 76
Water Rail

Just a quick shot taken from the Water Rail hide this afternoon. And i know what this one is. The Rail sat for at least 3 mins checking the ducks out.

Attachments

• IMG_7573.jpg
    IMG_7573.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 116
Hopefully i will have done this correctly and the photos are attached. I hope some kind soul can identify this bird from some distant snatched shots. The pictures were taken from the Water rail hide looking at the far shoreline. The flight shots were snatched after the bird was spooked by grey heron. I have not seen a birds wing with such a large gap in the feathers at the wrist.

A very shabby Curlew

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sands (17)---------------Dunlin
Avocet (3juvs)------------------LRP (11)
Common Sand (2)--------------Lapwing (37)
Buzzard (3)---------------------L Whitethroat

MOORS:
Willow Warbler (family party along west track)
Water Rail (calling in front of west hide)
Tufted Duck (broods of 8 and 10)
LBB Gull (66 on water)--------------Herring Gull (2)
GCGrebe (12 + juv)-----------------Cormorant (3)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Little Grebe (2)
Common Tern ( underestimated at 8, but difficult to see)
Kingfisher----------------------------Skylark

ED RES/SAILING CENTRE:
Treecreeper----------------Whitethroat (2)
Little Owl (2) on Hobden Hall Farm chimney

OF INTEREST:
Roe Deer in N E field at the Flashes.

Des.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sands (17)---------------Dunlin
Avocet (3juvs)------------------LRP (11)
Common Sand (2)--------------Lapwing (37)
Buzzard (3)---------------------L Whitethroat

MOORS:
Willow Warbler (family party along west track)
Water Rail (calling in front of west hide)
Tufted Duck (broods of 8 and 10)
LBB Gull (66 on water)--------------Herring Gull (2)
GCGrebe (12 + juv)-----------------Cormorant (3)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Little Grebe (2)
Common Tern ( underestimated at 8, but difficult to see)
Kingfisher----------------------------Skylark

ED RES/SAILING CENTRE:
Treecreeper----------------Whitethroat (2)
Little Owl (2) on Hobden Hall Farm chimney

OF INTEREST:
Roe Deer in N E field at the Flashes.

Des.
Hi Des No way of counting, but the LRP's seem to be moving through in good numbers on a daily basis.
Phil will tell us but I'm sure that is highest number of Green sands for this year and like with the curlews many of them are moulting their inner primaries.
:t:John

Last edited:
Hi Des No way of counting, but the LRP's seem to be moving through in good numbers on a daily basis.
Phil will tell us but I'm sure that is highest number of Green sands for this year and like with the curlews many of them are moulting their inner primaries.
:t:John

Would confirm that yesterday's 17 was the best count of Green Sand this year.

Spent a couple of hours mooching around the Mecca this morning.

What's all this talk of Mecca I keep hearing...fantastic reserve that Upton is, but Mecca...unless of course you are referring to the bingo hall!

Attachments

• 171802_Mecca-Logo.jpg
    171802_Mecca-Logo.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upton this morning, highlights being

Flashes
Pair Yellow Wagtail heading south over transmitter field, 17 Green Sand, Dunlin, Common Sand and 3 Avocet.

Moors
Hobby over North Moors pool (not in log as on way to car) Common Sandpiper, 2 broods of Tufted Duck (12+ & 7) 2 juv Little Grebe, nice to see juv Common Terns flying around and 47 LBBG half of which were 2s

Upton this morning, highlights being

Flashes
Pair Yellow Wagtail heading south over transmitter field, 17 Green Sand, Dunlin, Common Sand and 3 Avocet.

Moors
Hobby over North Moors pool (not in log as on way to car) Common Sandpiper, 2 broods of Tufted Duck (12+ & 7) 2 juv Little Grebe, nice to see juv Common Terns flying around and 47 LBBG half of which were 2s

Welcome back Tim - thats the first Yellow Wags for nearly two months. Wonder if your Tufty brood was a new one or Des miscounted yesterday (always difficult as they dive so frequently).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back