• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Tripod and Tripod Head? (1 Viewer)

S Crisp

I would be grateful for any advice on lightweight tripods / tripod heads capable of allowing reasonable performance with my Kowa TSN 824. My Manfroto 055XV and 701RC2 are too heavy to take to America with all the other luggage required. I need both tripod and head to be as light as possible. Suggestions?

Many thanks.

Considered buying a cheap but decent tripod once arrived in the U.S. ?

Maybe you could find a used one here on BF?
My own Cullman Magnesit broke after one year and I got myself a Velbon VEB-3 dirt cheap. (will use it permanently if it is OK, or for a while and then as a spare)

//L

Back in September I bought a really light Manfrotto tripod which answered exactly my need for a compact support for my 50mm Nikon 'scope. It was £50 reduced from £100 - a real bargain until, that is, it fell apart in March. I see it's no longer available so I'd guess the design was faulty in some way. I saw a reasonably compact, if somewhat heavy for its size, Hama tripod in a large branch of Currys recently. It was, I think, £69, but unlike the Manfrotto was very solidly built. The best I've seen so far is a lightweight RSPB tripod (£72 I think) which when collapsed is 54cm (i.e. hand baggage-able). However, if you've got rather more money (£120+) look at the new Benro 'flat' tripod range (easy to Google). As the name suggests, they fold flat so are easy to pack and, as I recall, are pretty light weight,

I, too am thinking about changing my tripod. I have a velbon Vicotory 350. In fact I believe it is the only tripod I've ever had and I started birding with it about 20 years ago! It's light enough to travel with and quick and easy to set up, which I need as I take one or two big trips a year where I need a scope. However, two little bug bears with it. The head easily comes loose from the column when panning and I need to keep tightening it and secondly, I find that there is a bit too much wobble in it to digiscope effectively in less than still conditions. I also need to use it for photography and hopefully videography so I'm looking for as stable a platform as possible without adding much if any weight.

What would folks recommend? Would the Jessops model above be a good chioce for me? Would I need to buy another head for it? Any other models out there I should consider?

Cheers

Jo

I bought a Slik Sprint Pro II recently and although I've not used it extensively yet it's been really good. You can get a version with a 3 way head but I got the standard ball-head version and fitted my manfrotto 3 way head in its place (the shop even threw in an adaptor to suit when I asked about replacing the head).

It's really light but quite sturdy - with the supplied head it was less than a kilo and pretty compact but still extends plenty high enough. My brother was really impressed by it too and he's difficult to please!

Back in September I bought a really light Manfrotto tripod which answered exactly my need for a compact support for my 50mm Nikon 'scope. It was £50 reduced from £100 - a real bargain until, that is, it fell apart in March. I see it's no longer available so I'd guess the design was faulty in some way. ,

which Manfrotto model broke, I am getting ready to purchase one and would like to avoid a poor design prone to break. Thanks

which Manfrotto model broke, I am getting ready to purchase one and would like to avoid a poor design prone to break. Thanks

It was a Manfrotto 393 Photo-Movie Kit QR. I have since replaced it with a Cullmann Nanomax 260 which although a little heavier seems more robust and has a better maximum height which means I can use it without the central column fully extended,

Take a look at the Gitzo broke my lens thread before you decide on Gitzo...

I have a Manfrotto 055 for sale in the appropriate section here, but it's about to go on ebay, so be quick if you want it :)

The Manfrotto 190 is certainly a good tripod and I'm sure that the head is of similar qualit, but for me at c2kg it's a tad on the heavy side for a 'light weight' tripod. Also I think that in its collapsed state it may be too long to squeeze into a carry-on bag,

I, too am thinking about changing my tripod. I have a velbon Vicotory 350. In fact I believe it is the only tripod I've ever had and I started birding with it about 20 years ago! It's light enough to travel with and quick and easy to set up, which I need as I take one or two big trips a year where I need a scope. However, two little bug bears with it. The head easily comes loose from the column when panning and I need to keep tightening it and secondly, I find that there is a bit too much wobble in it to digiscope effectively in less than still conditions. I also need to use it for photography and hopefully videography so I'm looking for as stable a platform as possible without adding much if any weight.

What would folks recommend? Would the Jessops model above be a good chioce for me? Would I need to buy another head for it? Any other models out there I should consider?

Cheers

Jo

You'd definitely want to change the head. Ball and socket heads are very light, and relatively cheap. I use one when I use my Nikon 50mm but I do use a Manfrotto head with my 65mm Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back