• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42HT, 8.5x42SV, sharpness (1 Viewer)

I have done extensive tests in the field with the 10x42 HT and the Swaro's (not the SV though)....so not sure how the SV's would perform.

After my field tests I have concluded that the differences between Alpha bino's is so slight that only when you have them side by side for a week and in the field...will you truly be able to see the differences. Looking at them in a 'store setting' doesn't do it!

So bottom line is....either of these bino's will be just fine. Get the one that feels the best for your hands, fits your fingers, feels good on the eyes etc...for in terms of clarity, they are equal. Swaro has more depth of view or what I call the 3D effect, while Zeiss has more light which comes in real handy when viewing against cloudy skies. So...your choice... jim

while Zeiss has more light which comes in real handy when viewing against cloudy skies. jim

Hi Jim

Just got back from the Western Isles of Scotland and although we had mainly good weather we had a few days with lead-coloured skies, low heavy cloud, rain squalls etc

The HTs were just brilliant (literally) in these situations. I have used FLs in those conditions, in those places, for years and thought nothing would ever top them. But, despite the scepticism of some on BF I was knocked out by the HTs.

Bear in mind I have had them since last November so am past that initial surge of mad enthusiasm for the 'new' bins.

Lee

Hi Jim

Just got back from the Western Isles of Scotland and although we had mainly good weather we had a few days with lead-coloured skies, low heavy cloud, rain squalls etc

The HTs were just brilliant (literally) in these situations. I have used FLs in those conditions, in those places, for years and thought nothing would ever top them. But, despite the scepticism of some on BF I was knocked out by the HTs.

Bear in mind I have had them since last November so am past that initial surge of mad enthusiasm for the 'new' bins.

Lee

I hear ya Lee.... I was at a refuge the other day with a group and we were looking at this bird ....mid level in the trees with the sun in our faces and as a backdrop. All of the others couldn't identify what the bird was but I could see the spots on the breast etc..... So, not just 'up against the clouds' that the HT shines but also in how it handles the glare of incoming sun.

Like you...I have had these for a few months and that surge of excitement wears off but it returns once more when I get to view the bird while others do not....and they had solid binos' too...

Every day I go out with them I return with no complaints...they feel good in the hands 'all day long' and give me the view I need in all types of situations, ....can't ask for more. jim

Like Lee I have had my 10x42 HT's since last November and to date have no complaints,only praise for the way it handles different light situations.The other day I was out at dawn,about 7.30 here at the moment and I heard a bird calling from under some low lying tree branches.I did not recognise the call and could not see it with the naked eye so I scanned the area with the bins and low and behold a beautiful male redstart calling in the darkness from under the trees,a first for me in Spain.The ability of the HT to penetrate dark undergrowth is amazing as is the ablity to cut through haze and pick out the indentifying features of a bird against a bright sky.
The HT has taken my birdwating to a new level and I hope that I will continue to enjoy it for years to come.Thank you Zeiss .....Eddy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back