Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 9th December 2007, 18:51   #1
luke
A Welsh birder in Dorset!

Eden Project Birds

After watching the BBC programme, 'Nature of Britain' which showed robins, blackbirds and tits living and breeding those huge 'greenhouses'. So i was wondering wether any migrant birds such as warblers have got in. i suppose the climate in there is perfect all year round for warbler species, so i'd be interested to know what behaviour they might show.

Luke
Check out my blog at www.welshbirderindorset.blogspot.com
BF Supporter 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 9th December 2007, 19:27   #2
Twite

Not related to the main point of your post, but once again the BBC have excelled in the making of a Nature Programme. It's so nice to look at our native wildlife, long may it continue. I'm fed up with Elephants and Lions, long live the Vole.

Twite.
BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 9th December 2007, 19:31   #3
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

Alan was in the temperate domes - when I was there early this year I didn't notice anything unusual....but my time was limited as I walked there from Par and got lost.

In the hot domes there are all sorts of non UK birds but a zoo licence was obtained to introduce them and lizards (didn't see any).

Problem with the hot dome is the humidity - a camera isn't going to work until it aclimatizes (if at all) and it's just like being in the jungle - it's tiring.
Old Sunday 9th December 2007, 21:04   #4
Isurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
After watching the BBC programme, 'Nature of Britain' which showed robins, blackbirds and tits living and breeding those huge 'greenhouses'. So i was wondering wether any migrant birds such as warblers have got in. i suppose the climate in there is perfect all year round for warbler species, so i'd be interested to know what behaviour they might show.
I think I remember reading about something surprising breeding in large numbers in the Botanic Gardens of Wales huge glasshouse - it wasn't anything super rare just the sort of garden bird you don't see in large numbers but I can't remember what.

Shedloads of robins in Eden. When we were there there were two buzzards circling above the biomes in the mist which looked amazing.
Old Sunday 9th December 2007, 21:16   #5
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
When we were there there were two buzzards circling above the biomes in the mist which looked amazing.
They rely a lot on the Buzzards to keep Gulls away as they peck at the plastic roofing.
Old Monday 10th December 2007, 07:45   #6
Farnboro John

I've seen and photographed Sedge Warbler in the temperate dome, I assume it migrated normally.

Given the obviously non-secure nature of the domes I am surprised there aren't more local records of breeding white-eyes.

John
Old Monday 10th December 2007, 10:25   #7
jurek

I seen native birds in greenhouses in several different botanical gardens. Kew, for one.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: