Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 11:50   #1
BF Newsroom

Post Birdwatchers' world record bid (BBC News)

A couple start the first leg of their world trip in an attempt to see a record number of birds in a year.

More from BBC News...
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 18:40   #2
Twite

Who doesn't wish they had the balls to do that? I wish I had.

Twite.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 19:41   #3
thenorthernmonkey
CBWPS Stithians

your not wrong there twite although i must comment i dont what would take the most balls on my behalf- selling the house and packing up work or stepping on a plane for the first time ever. i think it may be the plane
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 19:59   #4
Twite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthernmonkey View Post
your not wrong there twite although i must comment i dont what would take the most balls on my behalf- selling the house and packing up work or stepping on a plane for the first time ever. i think it may be the plane
Go by boat, a mega pelagic. What a lifelist.

Twite.

Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 20:18   #5
thenorthernmonkey
CBWPS Stithians

thats a bloody good idea. only problem is- i've spent the last 17 years working in a shipyard carrying out ship repair so it'd be a sort of busmans holiday. i've always said if a ship sinks there's lifeboats, liferafts etc. if a plane goes down your dead.
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 20:42   #6
lostinjapan

Good luck to them both.

I look forward to the TV doc that will hopefull follow their trip.

Likewise wish I had their courage..oh and a house to sell!
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 21:06   #7
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinjapan View Post
..oh and a house to sell!
Can't think that they are actually putting EVERYTHING into this. Unless they plan to come back and lead a very low key frugal existence as volunteer wardens or live with relatives. If they plan to come back . . . .
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 21:25   #8
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Good for them. They've got a website up, too: Biggest Twitch
Old Thursday 27th December 2007, 21:41   #9
Twite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Birder View Post
Good for them. They've got a website up, too: Biggest Twitch
Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it and will look in regularly. It should be very interesting.

Twite.

Old Friday 28th December 2007, 04:27   #10
Harold Stiver

I remember talking to Iain Campbell, who is involved in running Tandayapa Lodge, about his plans for a Big Twitch. He talked about the possibility of 6000 species, a seriously deranged goal.

He and Nick Athanas eventually did a Little Twitch, a month long endeavor and counted more than 1600 species. You can read about it here.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 14:07   #11
James_Owen

I must be a terrible cynic, the first thought to strike me after reading this was they're going to produce one mother of a carbon footprint on this trip.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 14:17   #12
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Owen View Post
I must be a terrible cynic, the first thought to strike me after reading this was they're going to produce one mother of a carbon footprint on this trip.
Would it be any worse than staying at home, running a house (with heating, lighting, etc), transport to and from work and so on?

Also it's in a good cause, they are raising money for Mindo Cloudforest Foundation

Mind you they have managed to blag themselves gear from Swarovski and Country Innovation. Not bad.

Last edited by Vectis Birder : Friday 28th December 2007 at 14:25.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:58   #13
James_Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Birder View Post
Would it be any worse than staying at home, running a house (with heating, lighting, etc), transport to and from work and so on?

Also it's in a good cause, they are raising money for Mindo Cloudforest Foundation

Mind you they have managed to blag themselves gear from Swarovski and Country Innovation. Not bad.
It's all a bit Live8 though, isn't it? People can spend all kinds of money on themselves, doing all kinds of environmental damage, having the time of their lives, in the name of charity and 'awareness', and it's all good. Well no, it isn't, the criticisms are fair.
This pair's carbon emissions are going to be enormous, just exactly the opposite of what conservationists should be aspiring to. I mean, is it any wonder that the conservation page on their website speaks only of habitat preservation, with no mention of greenhouse emissions? Very blatantly it's that Al Gore message, do as I say, not as I do. Because this year it's them, next year who else will be inspired to follow the dream, and when does that end?

Come on, let's be honest and smell the greenwash, it's still wet.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 17:48   #14
Twite

Quote:
This pair's carbon emissions are going to be enormous, just exactly the opposite of what conservationists should be aspiring to. .
I'm probably going to be put down for this... and I'm not trying be funny, but any flights they are planning to take will go ahead whether they are on them or not.

Twite.

Old Friday 28th December 2007, 19:34   #15
James_Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twite View Post
I'm probably going to be put down for this... and I'm not trying be funny, but any flights they are planning to take will go ahead whether they are on them or not.

Twite.
Well... the same goes for everybody who flies down to the Med for their holidays. All those individuals choosing to fly creates the demand for more flights. It's trite but really, in terms of aviation's influence on climate change, we're part of the solution or part of the problem, and the choice is our own.

I just really cannot understand how a charity effort in aid of conservation could possibly have as large an environmental impact as this sort of journey surely must. It baffles me. Short of building a coal fired power station in your garden, world travel is about the worst, i.e. least environmentally sustainable, thing you can do - even if you believe in flimflam like carbon offsetting.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 19:46   #16
rob stoff

Quote:
Well... the same goes for everybody who flies down to the Med for their holidays. All those individuals choosing to fly creates the demand for more flights. It's trite but really, in terms of aviation's influence on climate change, we're part of the solution or part of the problem, and the choice is our own.

I just really cannot understand how a charity effort in aid of conservation could possibly have as large an environmental impact as this sort of journey surely must. It baffles me. Short of building a coal fired power station in your garden, world travel is about the worst, i.e. least environmentally sustainable, thing you can do - even if you believe in flimflam like carbon offsetting.
any figures to back this up?

Rob
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 20:15   #17
Johnny1

Have they really sold up everything? I mean are they going to live in a tent when they've finished traveling around the world? Maybe they should have just sold their house and given all the proceeds to the charity cutting out the middleman and all that traveling and the time saved could be used working for the enviroment.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 21:49   #18
gyrfalcon
Forum Member

Good luck to them, people should be free to do whatever they like with their well deserved free time. Providing its legal of course.
Perhaps Governments should be mandating substantial green taxes on flights and transport, and ensuring all the money goes back into preserving the planet. Would be fairer and more effective than the few people who care overwhelmed with guilt everytime they step into a car, and criticising others with "bigger carbon footprints" than themselves.

This couple in question appear to have done more for promoting birds than many on here, even before they have raised the money for the charity.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 22:26   #19
Edward woodwood

it's very Sting, Bono and Live Aid but the less about that the better

these two folks have the best intentions and should just do it for the sheer fun of doing it - and I hope they enjoy every minute of it.

btw: CO2 from shipping is twice that of aircraft http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7052037.stm

and aviation's contribution could grow to 5% (yes that's a whole 5%) of the total CO2 emissions by 2050
Old Saturday 29th December 2007, 01:43   #20
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob stoff View Post
any figures to back this up?

Rob
I tried looking up figures on the internet to find out the 'damage' flying to my parents in s france a few months ago. Was really difficult to find any meaningful actual figures in terms of CO2 released.
In the end did find what seemed a reliable site which indicated that one person flying to s france wasn't much different than 1 person driving. Also long haul flights used 6* more carbon per km than short haul. (I think because they fly that bit faster to reduce the journey times= have to use a lot more fuel to go just that bit faster in rarefied atmosphere.)

Can't believe shipping uses more carbon every time, depends on what the journey length etc is You can make the figures tell the story you want them to!
Old Saturday 29th December 2007, 01:46   #21
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
and aviation's contribution could grow to 5% (yes that's a whole 5%) of the total CO2 emissions by 2050
But isn't one of the problems that the gases are being released right where they can do the most damage- ie the upper atmosphere?
Old Saturday 29th December 2007, 01:56   #22
dantheman
Bah humbug

When I looked at the website (looking impressive btw) I didn't notice an itinery anywhere- is this because it's top secret? Or they haven't decided yet?

If they are going for 4000 species, a lot of the travelling is going to have to be between neighbouring countries, which will minimise the long haul flight component. A year's travelling is going to use up a lot of CO2 admittedly, but probably less than doing all those countries as separate trips. As long as when they do come back they live out the rest of their days in a straw bale house, plant trees all day long and bury their poo deep underground it might all equal out . . .
Old Saturday 29th December 2007, 12:47   #23
Twite

This is not what birding is about http://www.tropicalbirding.com/littletwitch/INDEX.HTM (Thanks to Harold for the link.) Ticking birds heard, do people really do that? Can't figure leaving South America in the first place. Would it not be possible to equal what they achieved there?

Twite.

Old Saturday 29th December 2007, 12:57   #24
rob stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
But isn't one of the problems that the gases are being released right where they can do the most damage- ie the upper atmosphere?
planes have a cooling effect on the earth's climate via global dimming, not ideal of course but take away planes and the temperature will rise very suddenly as it did after the September 11th attacks on New york:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog...ng_trans.shtml

climate, and anthropogenic influences on it, are rather complex!

Rob
Old Saturday 29th December 2007, 12:59   #25
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
it's very Sting, Bono and Live Aid but the less about that the better

these two folks have the best intentions and should just do it for the sheer fun of doing it - and I hope they enjoy every minute of it.

btw: CO2 from shipping is twice that of aircraft http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7052037.stm

And aviation seems to get the biggest hammering, yet at the moment it puts out a meagre 1.6% of all emissions. I see no one having a go at shipping ot power generation or agriculture, all of which have a bigger impact.

The biggest culprit is the destruction of forests - why don't the anti-aviation lot spend their time more usefully campaigning aganst that?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: