Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:25   #1
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

Gull ID

Hi all,

Could anyone help me ID these gulls. Sorry about the quality they were quite distant and it was very windy.
Many Thanks in anticipation,
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gull 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	119097  Click image for larger version

Name:	Gull 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	119098  Click image for larger version

Name:	Gulls 1 + 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	119099  
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:40   #2
Rich Bonser

Had a quick look, initial thoughts are as follows:

Pic 1:
Difficult to get much on it in terms of Kodak grey scale as it’s a lone bird. You may have a 2cy Y-l Gull there though.

Pic 2:
2cy LBB (graellsi) on the right with possibly a sub-adult (retained immature tertials) intermedius thus accounting for size difference and mantle colour.

Pic 3:
Looks pretty similar to the bird in pic 1 so possibly a 2cy Y-l Gull with a couple of LBBs and a Black-head (for completeness). Conceivably though could even be a Herring. Presumably no views of a white mirror on P10 obtained?

Just a quick look so sorry about the lack of constructive points.

Cheers and good birding

Rich
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:44   #3
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Bonser View Post
Had a quick look, initial thoughts are as follows:

Pic 1:
Difficult to get much on it in terms of Kodak grey scale as it’s a lone bird. You may have a 2cy Y-l Gull there though.

Pic 2:
2cy LBB (graellsi) on the right with possibly a sub-adult (retained immature tertials) intermedius thus accounting for size difference and mantle colour.

Pic 3:
Looks pretty similar to the bird in pic 1 so possibly a 2cy Y-l Gull with a couple of LBBs and a Black-head (for completeness). Conceivably though could even be a Herring. Presumably no views of a white mirror on P10 obtained?

Just a quick look so sorry about the lack of constructive points.

Cheers and good birding

Rich
Thanks Rich I thought that there was a LBBG and maybe a Y L Gull but couldn't be sure.
Here is another which is sharper but more distant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gulls.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	119107  
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:47   #4
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

And another which is the one I thought was a Yellow Legged.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gull.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	119109  
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:54   #5
lou salomon
the birdonist

hi lee,

a side view of the lighter grey mantled bird (pic1 and 3) would be helpfull, i guess you don't have any more pics? it looks like a 2nd/3rd winter type herring gull to me, but i can't exclude yellow-legged gull totally. legs look short for yellow-legged but in that strong wind it can be crouched a bit. head shape is better for herring.

the other birds are lesser black-backed gulls. in pic 2 there are an ad or 3rd winter plus a 2nd winter bird, in pic 3 from left to right: 2nd winter LBBG, 2nd/3rd winter herring (?), black-headed gull and ad lesser black-backed gull.
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 15:59   #6
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

Hi Lou I have this one if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gull 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	119113  
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 18:14   #7
JANJ

Hi Lee.

The first gull has some resemblens to a 2cy Yellow-legged (a Herring Gull similar aged usually with less advanced plumage, 3cy type Herring would have wider white tips to primaries and usually with a mirror of variable size on p10 visible). I presume the images are taken recently (?). The rather heavy blunt-tipped bill, rather unmarked grey back and scapulars, contrasting solid dark markings on coverts with third generation like grey feathers only on inner greater coverts. The tertails although variable, often show solid dark inner part with a subterminal dark mark and pale tip in Yellow-legged, which your gull doesn´t show. Structure is more Herring Gull like, heavy body smallish head (not mentioning the head shape - which doesn´t look Yellow-legged squarish - because this is a variable character not to be trusted to much, especially in images).

http://www.gull-research.org/ylg1cy2...ov/02cynov.htm

http://www.gull-research.org/hg/HG2CY11.htm

JanJ
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 18:22   #8
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANJ View Post
Hi Lee.

The first gull has some resemblens to a 2cy Yellow-legged (a Herring Gull similar aged usually with less advanced plumage, 3cy type Herring would have wider white tips to primaries and usually with a mirror of variable size on p10 visible). I presume the images are taken recently (?). The rather heavy blunt-tipped bill, rather unmarked grey back and scapulars, contrasting solid dark markings on coverts with third generation like grey feathers only on inner greater coverts. The tertails although variable, often show solid dark inner part with a subterminal dark mark and pale tip in Yellow-legged, which your gull doesn´t show. Structure is more Herring Gull like, heavy body smallish head (not mentioning the head shape - which doesn´t look Yellow-legged squarish - because this is a variable character not to be trusted to much, especially in images).

http://www.gull-research.org/ylg1cy2...ov/02cynov.htm

http://www.gull-research.org/hg/HG2CY11.htm

JanJ

Hi JanJ, It was taken today at Blashford Lakes HWT on Mockbeggar Lake. Nearby Ibsley water has a huge Gull roost but are normally too far away for a Positive ID such as Caspians although I have had one adult before there. Also they get quite a lot of Y L gulls in all plumages and the other day had 5000+ LBBG's. However I haven't that much exp with Gulls and Iam trying to get into them more as I find them so interesting and challenging.
Thanks for the Info,
Lee
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 21:32   #9
lou salomon
the birdonist

well, in the side view pic if you take the head alone, i could go with YLG, but then there's quite of a heavy belly, shortish legs and not satisfying long enough wings.

in the pic with the 2 graellsii and the black-headed it looks very michahellis like. as jan said, plumagewise it would fit better a 2cy YLG than a HG but - it could be an advanced 2cy herring though with that body (prob. no 3cy with 3rd gen primaries - white tips.)

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: