Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.
Old Saturday 31st October 2009, 18:34   #101
Woody

Nah, stay here in the rain and you'll see all the exotics arrive!

Great fieldwork as always.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Friday 27th November 2009, 16:13   #102
birdboybowley

Hey all - finished the cake bits now and back on the book (even though the cakes paid more for a lot less work...!) and have got a deadline of Feb now so the end is in sight...yeay!! Here's one of the latest, myzomelas....

Click image for larger version

Name:	melanesia plate 51 (Large).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	230174

(Sorry the lighting's a bit crap.....!)

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th November 2009, 17:01   #103
timwootton

Superb, Ads - you've the patience of Job. That deadline must be looking more like a finishing line by now - good luck.
Old Friday 27th November 2009, 18:18   #104
birdboybowley

Cheers Tim...yep, the finish line of a seven year marathon....!!

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Friday 27th November 2009, 22:33   #105
Woody

I don't know how you remain sane, let alone how you keep up such excellent quality throughout.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Friday 27th November 2009, 22:35   #106
username

Dear Birdboy.........i have only just stumbled across this thread...your 'stuff' is stunning...!! I looked at the wallcreeper pic and thought..'jeeez'!!..[or something similar]...and then i saw your alpine accentor painting n nearly fell off me swivel seat...what an 'atmosphere'...!!

You are one talented fellow.....

ps..as i am a 'pitta-freak'...do you have any paintings/sketches that we could have a look at..?

pps....and as i have quickly gleaned from skim reading this thread that you enjoy the odd 'ale'....have one on me.......make it two...

All the best......
Old Friday 27th November 2009, 23:23   #107
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Dear Birdboy.........i have only just stumbled across this thread...your 'stuff' is stunning...!! I looked at the wallcreeper pic and thought..'jeeez'!!..[or something similar]...and then i saw your alpine accentor painting n nearly fell off me swivel seat...what an 'atmosphere'...!!

You are one talented fellow.....

ps..as i am a 'pitta-freak'...do you have any paintings/sketches that we could have a look at..?

pps....and as i have quickly gleaned from skim reading this thread that you enjoy the odd 'ale'....have one on me.......make it two...

All the best......
Well you've certainly stumbled into the rght bar for a or , User! Drop by more often, mate!
Old Friday 27th November 2009, 23:56   #108
username

Cheers Tim..[literally]..

Always nice to find a friendly thread where i can 'drop in' and have a woffle...[please feel free to 'bar' me if i happen to get disorderly in the 'writing' department]...

Adios...for now....all the best to you in the windswept land of Orkneyshire....
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 05:48   #109
birdboybowley

Damned good of ya, User, cheers mate!! Also, I know artists find their own styles, but you've developed a posting style that's definitely all yours and long may it continue!
So just for you, through the square window today we have some sketches from Kingfisher Park, especially for a fellow pitta-freak....these Oz pittas are just so much more showy and brassy than their other cousins (typical Aussies I guess...)

Name:	Noisy Pitta (Large).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	230546Click image for larger version

Name:	Noisy Pitta (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	230547

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 05:55   #110
birdboybowley

Just found another couple from Kingfisher Park, not more pittas this time User though...you'll have to wait as it's not good for you to get them all at once! Another cracking bird that came just closer and closer the stiller (is that a word??) you sat....(Uh oh, the dots are a-catching.... noooooooo!)

Name:	Spectacled Monarch (Large).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	230548Click image for larger version

Name:	Spectacled Monarch (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	230549

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 05:59   #111
birdboybowley

God, now I'm waffling...been up all night painting cuckooshrikes with the idea that because of all the Leach's past Portland yday it must be worth a couple of hours at Selsey this morning and seeing as I hate getting up early I find it easier to stay up....but it's peeing down outside and my bed is looking so welcoming....and dammit, those dots are back - quick, get a hyphen in.....aarrgghhh!

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 14:46   #112
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
God, now I'm waffling...been up all night painting cuckooshrikes with the idea that because of all the Leach's past Portland yday it must be worth a couple of hours at Selsey this morning and seeing as I hate getting up early I find it easier to stay up....but it's peeing down outside and my bed is looking so welcoming....and dammit, those dots are back - quick, get a hyphen in.....aarrgghhh!
Now did you see any Ads... or was that bed too tempting ?

Still wearing me burka
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 17:18   #113
timwootton

Some very beautiful drawing here Ads - the characterisation in the first page of pittas is exceptional - a sheet of really 'knowing' drawings (oy, I'm nearly a poet :) )and the monarch sketches are bouncing about - terrific.
By the way Ads - bed's not all that it's cracked up to be; spent half of last night consoling youngest child with a broken tv - much better to spend the wee hours productively.
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 18:29   #114
birdboybowley

Thanks Tim - must admit I do like painting thru the night...it just puts me on a different time clock to the rest of the world (is that a bad thing though?!)
Mark (still looking very fetching I might add ) - No I didn't see any poxy petrels. Gave it 3 hours and parked the car so I could poke the scope out the window (what a wimp!). Had a Pom, Scaup and a cool Short-eared Owl low over the carpark being mobbed by gulls so a few nice bits worth staying up for. Need a holiday!

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 18:36   #115
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Quote:
Need a holiday!
Where next then Ad's?

Must admit, I like painting into the early hours, but despite daylight bulbs, I get slightly worried about my colour tones with fresh morning eyes, can be a bit hit and miss at times!

Last edited by rockfowl : Monday 30th November 2009 at 18:40.
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 18:47   #116
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Some very beautiful drawing here Ads - the characterisation in the first page of pittas is exceptional
characterisation is the very word- I must confess I've been lurking about in this thread trying to deconstruct what you do with eye shape to get so much of the character

don't start with a circle, unless you see a circle seems to be step #1

great stuff

Last edited by ed keeble : Monday 30th November 2009 at 18:54.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 19:08   #117
colleenc

what a master you are, the outlines are so clean, sure and descriptive not generalized.

and the attitudes and aliveness are there from the very beginning.

BTW.....I love dots, 3 reasons, laziness, (don't have to period, shift, cap,) and dots are a way of letting the reader have some space to fill in their own meanings and catch a breather for a moment in the "conversation", last it is nice looking to my eye on the page, some space and offset that pleases me visually

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th November 2009, 19:17   #118
username

Quote:
Just found another couple from Kingfisher Park, not more pittas this time User though...you'll have to wait as it's not good for you to get them all at once! Another cracking bird that came just closer and closer the stiller (is that a word??) you sat....(Uh oh, the dots are a-catching.... noooooooo!)

Attachment 230548Attachment 230549
Chuckle...! I see that my devilish plan to take over the world with 'dots'......seems to be working

Thanks for putting the pitta pic's on this thread for me to peruse Birdyboy... Luv 'em!
Pitta's that show themselves tooo easily...[tho always impressive]...are never as desired or as valued as the one's that you REALLY have to work for...the 'skulkier' the better...[is 'skulkier' is a word?...i don't care if it is or not...it works for me]..! Grammer rebels rule.....

ps....'Stiller'......in my opinion.......his best film was Zoolander.....

pps.....gotta go now....i have to take care of some roast spuds as they are not going to baste themselves....[i think they are just lazy]....
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 19:40   #119
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
some roast spuds as they are not going to baste themselves....[i think they are just lazy]....
. . . . . . . couch potatoes, maybe? . . . . . . . .
Old Monday 30th November 2009, 20:02   #120
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenc View Post
what a master you are, the outlines are so clean, sure and descriptive not generalized.

and the attitudes and aliveness are there from the very beginning.

BTW.....I love dots, 3 reasons, laziness, (don't have to period, shift, cap,) and dots are a way of letting the reader have some space to fill in their own meanings and catch a breather for a moment in the "conversation", last it is nice looking to my eye on the page, some space and offset that pleases me visually
Exactly Colleen......[regards dots].....that's why i use them....[addictive isn't it]....?

ps...Tim....liked the 'couch' potato bit....! [and if my nose is not deceiving me...i think my dinner is about done]......tis time to 'tuck in'...and for me to 'tuck off'.....
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 08:36   #121
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

more fantastic work, all these strange birds with strange colours look delicious! (In a non-gastronomic sort of way)
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 17:01   #122
birdboybowley

Glad you added the brackets there Nick....thought you might be going totally French on us!!

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 12:13   #123
birdboybowley

Hey all...have just had my first xmas of the week (yday) as my brother was back but has to work in Ireland over xmas proper so my dear ole Ma, having both her boys on the same continent at practically xmas couldn't resist...result! Have managed to finish off another plate (cuckooshrikes/cicadabirds) which I'm actually pleased with...(4 left now...) but have now gotta try and paint the 3 labs for Ma's xmas prezzie...no pressure then...

Name:	melanesia plate 45 (Large).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	233942

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 12:30   #124
username

Nice 'plate' there birdyboy....!

ps...will you be photographing and posting a 'plate' of turkey in the near future?....[depicting 'bird' in it's natural habitat of gravy...surrounded by roast spuds n veg]...

All the best over this festering...[sorry...festive]...period....! May your brushes never wilt......
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 14:19   #125
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Another great plate Ad's, on a roll with the finish line in sight, Happy Christmas!

but have now gotta try and paint the 3 labs for Ma's xmas prezzie...no pressure then...
Been there, run out of dogs to paint.... thankfully
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: