• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus DPS I 10x50 - A Complete Review (1 Viewer)

birdlove

Hi everybody,

I am newbie in birdforum. Really very much appreciate the works as well as the response of this forum members. Very glad to be a part of such a nice forum. I could see lot of reviews,suggestions,experiences on almost every bins here. I am a newbie in birding and i own Olympus DPS I 10X50 porro prisms. I am no way an expert in binoculars, but i could easily recognize that, slowly i am becoming a binoholic. I love binocualrs very much. I feel simply enthralled when i see birds through good pair of binoculars. Almost 99% of time, i spend in internet is searching things about binoculars only. Also I enjoy this forum very much.

Here is a my opinions of Olympus DPS I 10X50. I have used them for quite long time, and almost in every situation. This review is a small contribution on my side for this forum. I simply love to discuss and share the experiences about binoculars.

OLYMPUS DPS I 10X50--- A SHORT REVIEW.

I developed a strong passion for birding few months ago. I badly needed binoculars, so i got one of my frnd's cheap russian made binoculars. At those times, i knew nothing about binoculars as well as birds. When i tried those russian bins in field, they disappointed me a lot. So i decided to buy a good inexpensive porro which would fit into my budget. I went with Olympus DPS-I 10X50. Believe me, the first impressions on these bins were jaw dropping stuff. The view was simply superb with good clarity and sharp focus and nice resolution.I like them very much, and i bought them. Almost everybody will be interested in mid-priced roofs and high-end roofs and porros. For the price and performance, i belive its hard to beat low-end porros. In that sense, these olympus bins were great bang for the buck. They cost just around 60 usd, but the performance which they give for the money is a steal i would say.

I never mean to say that, these bins are perfect. They hav their own cons as well.

PROS: Brightness, crisp images, Ease of focus, low-price.
CONS Size,weight,Small eye-relief.

Field of view is 371ft /1000 yards. A great field of view, probably equal or better than many other roofs and porros for 10x magnification. The view is quite wide and it is a pleasure to watch fast moving warblers with these bins.

Eye Relief measures 12mm, which is okay for non-glass wearers. I dont wear glasses, but still i could not see entire field of view. I need to pull the rubber eye-cups down to see the entire field of view, which bugs me a lot while birding. Eye-relief is quite poor when comparable with other bins. I need to press my eyes on the eye-piece to see the field of view better. Of course it causes, headache and nausea after long time using.

Size and weight: Nice to hold if you have large hands. Weight is 30.1 oz, acceptable weight for birding. Size is quite bulky, and it wont feel good in small hands. If mounted in tripod, it will be a great pleasure. But for long-time hand-held use, you may become tired of its bulkiness as well as weight.

IPD measures 60-70mm on paper. But actually the measurement goes about 60-73mm. It wont besuitable for kids and people with small faces.

Close focus is 19.7 ft on paper. But i could focus clearly for about 15 ft. Still it is not good for butterfly watchers especially.

Focus knob is in center and its quite smooth. Focus is smooth and fast and deliver crisp images as well.It takes 2-3 turns to focus from farther object to closer one. Probably a great feature which i liked in this porros. Di-opter adjustment is not that much stiff. Often it moves from its postiion after long-time birding, Often i need to re-set it.

Exit pupil is 5. Because of 50mm obj.lens, it works very nice in low-light conditions and in night. It is a pleasure to use them for astronomy. My jaw simpley dropped when i saw moon with them. I could clearly almost every crater of the moon and the image was very crisp and bright. Prism type is bak-7,but still it produces bright and crisp images.

Eye-cups are made of rubber. They are of quite good quality and i dont think they would break even if we pull down them often. Glass-wearers need to pull-down the eye-cups for full field of view.

They come with very good lens and eye-pieces cover. The plastic covers are very stiff and you can never lose them in field. Once you close the lens, until you remove them, they wont come out. Also they come with a seperate case and neck-strap.

These bins are not water-proof. But in my opinion they are more rugged and durability should not be a major concern.Infact, in thise price range, probably there is no bin which come with water proof facility. I dropped them couple of times, but still they work same as the day i bought them.

Now lets turn to optical quality, probably which is the most desirable feature of these bins. They are simply superb in optics in this price range.

These bins come with fully-coated aspherical bak-7 prisms.
These bins gives you crystal clear image, with wide field of view. But the image gets more soft on the edges. 2/3 of the view is pretty sharp and deliver crisp images. But, still its a great value.

Brightness is amazing. I just cant belive how good their light gathering capacity is. Probably, if anybody asks which feature u like most in this bins,i would immediately say, its their brightness. Even in twilight, they give you good bright images.

Clarity of the image is very good. I could clearly read tiny letters in a small board 200 feet away.Resolutions and contrast is also very good. Ofcourse they do suffer from C.A but its quite minimal.(I am a newbie and not and optics expert. So, i cant comment more on this issue.).

I compared them side-by-side with Nikon Action. I must mention that, nikon is a bit better than these olympus bins in brightness as well as clarity.

Final Scores in my opinion.(OUT OF 5).

1. Field of view - 4.
2. Brightness - 3.5.
3. Clarity - 4
4. Close focus - 2
5 Ease of Focus - 3.5
6. Ergonomics - 3
7. Ease of handling - 3
8. Eye-relief -2.5
9. Eye-cups -2.5

Conclusion:

As a final conclusion, i recommend them for birding as well as astronomy. If they are mounted in tripod, they would give you more pleasure. Ofcourse these bins have some cons like bulkiness and small-eye relief. But, still they would be a pleasure to use atleast for non-glass wearers.
Optics are very good. For an entry level birder, they would be of great value.
If you have tried excellent optics bins like nikon monarch, leupold golden ring or swift audobon, probably you may not like this olympus bin. But, for anyboldy who is on tight budget, they are a steal in this price range.
But, my humble opinion is that, rather than getting 10x50, go with 8x40. Olympus DPS I 8x40 bins are simply superb. Theh are not bulky, have less weight with great field of view and the performance is equal or better than the 10x50 versions.

As per the rule of them of binculars purchase, try them first. I also suggest you to try NIkon action with them side by side. Buy the one, which you like and enjoy birding.

HAPPY BIRDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

P.S: This is my first review in this forum. Since i am a newbie in binoculars, I will be very much pleased to hear your comments/suggestions on this review. Soon i am going to buy Olympus PCI 8X25. As soon as i get them, i will post my opinions on them too.

Corrections please..

HI,

Sorry to say that there was some typo's in the above review posted by me. Please note the corrections:

1. Field of view is 341ft/100yards. (not 371 feet).
2. It's just fully-coated. (not mulit-coated/fully-multi-coated).
3. IPD measures exactly 60-70mm. (not upto 73mm as i posted.).
4.Close focus is quite low near to 12ft. (Specs say its 19.1ft).

Rare Olympus?
I like to be different... Latest eBay acquisition, on impulse, is an Olympus 7x42 WP roof prism for £115. Slightly bigger than my Zeiss 10x40 BGAT (but not as elegant: looks like it was styled by a Klingon) it's rubber armoured and quite heavy (860g). View is similar to my 1980s Zeiss, which says a lot for modern inexpensive binoculars. Not having heard of or seen an Olympus 7x42 before, I searched the Internet for more information, to find it equipped the 2004 Polish Antarctic Expedition who praised it for its "unsurpassed light gathering and optical quality... exposed to low temperatures and hurricane force winds". I found only three others for sale in the world: in Moscow ($258); Genoa ($299); & New Zealand (NZ$500) so reckon I have a bargain buy. Anyone else any experience of it?

Rare Olympus?
I like to be different... Latest eBay acquisition, on impulse, is an Olympus 7x42 WP roof prism for £115. Slightly bigger than my Zeiss 10x40 BGAT (but not as elegant: looks like it was styled by a Klingon) it's rubber armoured and quite heavy (860g). View is similar to my 1980s Zeiss, which says a lot for modern inexpensive binoculars. Not having heard of or seen an Olympus 7x42 before, I searched the Internet for more information, to find it equipped the 2004 Polish Antarctic Expedition who praised it for its "unsurpassed light gathering and optical quality... exposed to low temperatures and hurricane force winds". I found only three others for sale in the world: in Moscow ($258); Genoa ($299); & New Zealand (NZ$500) so reckon I have a bargain buy. Anyone else any experience of it?
No experience, James, but I've just seen another one on eBay. How are you finding yours?

Michael

Hello Michael, I've only just noticed your response, so sorry for delay... It's rather good, if a bit unconventional. The focus bar is nicely long but very low profile; indeed, on first acquaintance you might not realise it's a focus bar at all, with a friction surface similar to 'Velcro', instead of grooves/ribs. Focus is also the 'wrong way' for me (clockwise for close focus) but you soon become used to it. Image quality is bright and clear, good in low light, and the build is solid and sturdy, although the body is quite long and narrow like a Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt/Classic. The 'grippy' rubber covering has indents, which appear somewhat inelegant to my eyes. I believe the 'WP' refers to "weatherproof". I confess the attraction for me is its comparative rarity, prompting bystanders to glance askance and wonder what on earth it is... (I've never seen another one 'in the field'). It's not my favourite binocular, but worth keeping 'just to be different'.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back