• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isles of Scilly Birding (1 Viewer)

Conorbirda2

Okay, hoping not to tread on any of the Scillies birders toes but have just noticed that The Isles don't have their own slot on the Local Patch Thread. So here it is, feel free to join in!

Travelling home in October 2008

Of Note: I phoned the travel company to book my flights for the annual trip in October this morning only to be told that the Airport is closing at 12 noon on the 1st November for the return journey home? The latest flights back available were just past 10am! Bit of a waste of the final day so i've decided to take the boat over this year! We usually end up getting the boat back anyway!!

Wader season is upon us! Three Wood Sands, three Common Sands and Two Green Sands at Poth Hellick Pool. Also Marsh Harrier and Iceland Gull on St Mary's.

There was another Pelagic off St Mary's tonight. We await the results.

Good numbers of Cory's Shearwater off the Scillies todays with 61 off St Agnes and 7 off St Marys. Extra pelagic leaving St Mary's tonight to get nearer the passage at 18.45hrs (£10 on the Sapphire)

Hi Paul,
Glad to see your posting Scilly news, Im sure people are viewing the thread even if they arnt posting.
Im on the Scilly's a little earlier than usual this year 29th Sept to 8th Oct, Hopefully something will turn up during my stay, I suspect the birding will be a bit different to my 'normal' week at the end of October anyway.
Cheers,
Ben

Things starting to hot up now on the magic islands ready for autumn. Wouldn't say conditions have been perfect so far and the birds probably reflect this right now. Just need a big system from far west to move in. With the recent SEerlies in the north sea and some good stuff over on the east coast of these might well filter through too!

Last weeks Hudsonian Whimbrel and Citrine Wagtail has not been seen recently but there is a scattering of scarce species on the islands with Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Tresco with a Wryneck. St Agnes a Pec Sand whilst Samson has an Icterine Warbler.
Cheers. Henerz.

Things starting to hot up now on the magic islands ready for autumn. Wouldn't say conditions have been perfect so far and the birds probably reflect this right now. Just need a big system from far west to move in. With the recent SEerlies in the north sea and some good stuff over on the east coast of these might well filter through too!

Last weeks Hudsonian Whimbrel and Citrine Wagtail has not been seen recently but there is a scattering of scarce species on the islands with Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Tresco with a Wryneck. St Agnes a Pec Sand whilst Samson has an Icterine Warbler.
Cheers. Henerz.

Hudsonian Whimbrel there again today. Photo of it on the ISBG website (bit blurred) Will be doing regular updatres on the website during the Scilly season.

Hi Paul,

Thanks. I just wondered how much it had gone up- it seems to go up every year!
I go most years, seems the years I miss are the good ones!
Can't wait til the 11th, I love the place- ticks or not.

Hows a Donny fan end up "down south". lol

Stu.

Hi Paul,

Thanks. I just wondered how much it had gone up- it seems to go up every year!
I go most years, seems the years I miss are the good ones!
Can't wait til the 11th, I love the place- ticks or not.

Hows a Donny fan end up "down south". lol

Stu.

Ive bin in touch with the guys on the scillies and as far as they are aware its gonna still be £7 on the boats.
Long story with the move down here. I used to be President of the DDoS before i moved here!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back